Fiskars Splitting Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ace doesn't list it on their site. You will need to find a good, helpful hardware man that will order it for you. Not all of them can figure out how to do it. I had to check w a couple stores before I found somebody to order one for me.

Price was $49 for the x27 at ace. Oddly enough that is $4 less than what ace sells the 28" super splitter. I think amazon, baileys, and ace's closeout/clearance websites have better price on the 28" model (less than $40).

I'm glad I went ahead with the x27. After holding the new x25, it simply feels too short for my liking, FWIW.

Also, my local walmart just got a couple x25 in stock. $40

Last edited:
what'd it cost you. i can't even find the x27 on the Ace site.

I got mine for 49.99 +tax and they shipped it to a local store. They must be out of stock and don't even list it anymore. It was only on line for a few days.
Fiskars lists it for 54.99 on their website but it says out of stock.
Amazon says 49.99 and ships in 2-4 weeks.

If the head of a Gransfors Bruks product ever chips, cracks, etc. (just the head, not the handle) you take it or send it back where you got it and they send you a new one. They are 100% guaranteed. Then the dealer sends it back to Sweeden to Gransfors and the they take it out of the pay of the blacksmith who forged it. When you get the maul, or axe, look on the side of it and you will see the initials of the maker of the head. They demand excellence.

Thanks for the info. The Gransfors Bruks arrived last night. It is a beautifully crafted maul worthy of respect:bowdown:. I apologize for my previous butchering of the name. This particular head was forged by Ulrik Nilsson and his initials are stamped right on the head. It's so sharp I could literally shave with it. I have no doubt it will perform extremely well. I look forward to the arrival of my own Gransfors.

IMG_1705-1.jpg

Thanks for the info. The Gransfors Bruks arrived last night. It is a beautifully crafted maul worthy of respect:bowdown:. I apologize for my previous butchering of the name. This particular head was forged by Ulrik Nilsson and his initials are stamped right on the head. It's so sharp I could literally shave with it. I have no doubt it will perform extremely well. I look forward to the arrival of my own Gransfors.

IMG_1705-1.jpg

Looks beautiful

This is the reply that I just got from Fiskars directly. I asked when it would be available again.

Dear JD,

Thank you for your inquiry about our new X27, 36" splitting axe. This axe will begin shipping to retailers early March:

USA: Menards, ACE Hardware and Amazon.com
CANADA: Canadian Tire

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Thank you for choosing Fiskars.

Looks like a little longer wait.

This is the reply that I just got from Fiskars directly. I asked when it would be available again.

Dear JD,

Thank you for your inquiry about our new X27, 36" splitting axe. This axe will begin shipping to retailers early March:

USA: Menards, ACE Hardware and Amazon.com
CANADA: Canadian Tire

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Thank you for choosing Fiskars.

Looks like a little longer wait.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I received the same email reply from them a few weeks ago and still managed to get my local Ace Hardware to order it for me. So, there might be hope.

Also, FWIW I saw some x25s on the shelf at WalMart today. Don't know what this means for the x27, but it is good to know they are shipping the x-line to stores (saw some Gerber II axes earlier this week, too at a different store)

That is not accurate information, since the X27 (36"), has been available at my local ACE HW store since at least a month back now....around 55$...

I got mine from Ace online but they don't show them any more either. Maybe there is a few out there yet. Most everyone seems to be out of them right now.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I received the same email reply from them a few weeks ago and still managed to get my local Ace Hardware to order it for me. So, there might be hope.

Also, FWIW I saw some x25s on the shelf at WalMart today. Don't know what this means for the x27, but it is good to know they are shipping the x-line to stores (saw some Gerber II axes earlier this week, too at a different store)
Yah, Wally has a couple here too. How do you like the x27 compared to the x25 as far as balance and overall feel? I know you've picked up a x25 at Wally Whirled to compare them.

Yah, Wally has a couple here too. How do you like the x27 compared to the x25 as far as balance and overall feel? I know you've picked up a x25 at Wally Whirled to compare them.

I'm glad I went ahead with the x27. After holding the new x25, it simply feels too short for my liking.

I like my combination of the shorter pro splitting axe 7859 with the x27. I feel these two provide me the best of both worlds with the longer, heavier x27 for the harder rounds and the shorter, lighter 7859 for the easier stuff.

the blade's wedge geometry is different, too - I do NOT like the new design's flat wedge, when compared to the 7854's winged design. I think the potential to have the blade stick in the wood went up dramatically, leaving the wood unsplit.

This is an important point. It's not just a taller cutting edge, the entire head has been redesigned. As you mentioned the new head does not flare as wide as the old one. Also, the distance from the cutting edge to the point of maximum flare is longer on the old version. The overall length of the head (cutting edge to poll or butt) is also longer on the older version. I believe the old head is also one half pound heavier (that's a significant percentage). I have the old 7854 28in and my x27 36in just arrived so I won't really be able to do an apples to apples comparison. Hopefully someone with the 7854 will get the x25 and give us a report.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's a great shootout. It looks to me like he's got the x25 (Gerber version) and the x27. Both axes have the new head but different handle lengths.
I'm curious to see a comparison where the only variable is the old head vs. new head. If I'm not mistaken that would have to be the x25 vs. the old 7854. Both have a 28in handle, just different heads. I'm not planning on getting the x25 so I won't be able to make that comparison. I will do a thread comparing what I do have. I have all the rounds in place I'm just waiting for my Gransfors to arrive.

There's been a lot of confusion and bad info about this axe. I called Fiskars direct and they told me they would not be in a any stores until april. Mine arrives at my local Ace this tuesday. Apparently the fine folks at Fiskars need to bone up on their product knowledge.

Also, Ace calls it the Fiskars 36" splitting axe. Nobody I talked to had a clue what an X27 was.

I tried the X25 out. Did not like it. I'm 6'4 in my boots, and the handle was just to short. Thought I was gonna chop my leg off if I missed what I was aiming at. Friend of mine is 5'8, he loves his. Guess it depends on the user.

I have a variety of hardwood to split when my axe comes in. Some two year old oak, and some big trunk pieces from a monster maple that was cut down in october. Curious to see if I can split those big boys with it. My 8lb maul just makes little dents. Will keep you posted when I try it out.

Curious to see if I can split those big boys with it. My 8lb maul just makes little dents. Will keep you posted when I try it out.

I'd be shocked if it did -- other factors (your strength, accuracy, and plan of attack) being equal.

The Fiskars will do anything an 8# maul can do, with significantly less effort and fatigue.

2 year old oak is going to have "soft" ends that absorb much of the energy of any hand tool. You might have had a decent shot back in freezing days of January, but they'll be a real challenge now. Now it's noodle time for them.

I'd be shocked if it did -- other factors (your strength, accuracy, and plan of attack) being equal.

The Fiskars will do anything an 8# maul can do, with significantly less effort and fatigue.

2 year old oak is going to have "soft" ends that absorb much of the energy of any hand tool. You might have had a decent shot back in freezing days of January, but they'll be a real challenge now. Now it's noodle time for them.

or a 10# splitting maul applied judiciously to the appointed spot. mass works here

Latest posts

Back