Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vibrations usually only come when I swing at bleeding velocity.....which I seem certain never to quite reach again, as I overdid it recently and tore a shoulder muscle but good. Got carried away. I like to make things swing really fast....and it caught up with me this time.

One of my other hobbies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCi06GGYEok

TS

Last edited:
Ok i'll bite....just ordered one since my daughters friend shattered the handle on my Home Desperate 8lb. I also want to try a mega maul, but I am not sure my shoulders would agree with me. I do really enjoy swinging and trying to drive the rounds into China, so a Fiskars is going to be a big change.
I am going to weld a pipe onto the old maul for a back-up & if I feel the need for P O W E R.

Report to follow. Zamboni, thanks for the fleabay info........

RD

I finally was able to get out in the woods with my new Fiskars Super Splitter today and get to work on a large red oak I cut down a few days ago. WOW!!!! everything good that has been posted about it is true. Wish I knew about it years ago. No More 6 or 8 lb mauls for me!

I finally was able to get out in the woods with my new Fiskars Super Splitter today and get to work on a large red oak I cut down a few days ago. WOW!!!! everything good that has been posted about it is true. Wish I knew about it years ago. No More 6 or 8 lb mauls for me!

Cha-ching! $$$ Another commission for you, AKKAMAAN! :D

just read through this thread, agree the 6-8 lb ames type mauls aren't very good. how does the effectiveness compare to a 12lb+ monster maul? don't think about the effort to swing either one, which one splits big snotty rounds of hickory the quicker?

treepointer! i just got my fiskars today and killed o whole round on ash my dad was so impressed that he burned his 8 pound handle and bought:clap: one for him i love this thing!

Glad you like it. I owe AKKAMAAN for introducing me to the Fiskars SS Axe. He has great videos. Thanks, AKKAMAAN!

You can burn a lot of stuff to get a Fiskars Super Splitter....:clap:

Heh, ain't that the truth!

I went to sears and all they had was the pro (7859) I bought it anyway - i will order the SS online.

This thing is amazing !! I would have lost my house in a bet over this 2.5 lbs maul. I split some big red oak today. Worked around the outside and it went right through the stuff. I cant wait to try the 4.5 lbs'er

I am very happy with my Fiskars. I bought both the 4.5 and 2.5 splitting mauls. They swing very fast and the woods really seems to bust outwards quickly. I have actually split two of my base logs (28" pink oak) because the it goes through the wood so easily. I do agree with previous posts that you need to put the rounds up to about hip/belt height to avoid hitting your foot on a bad swing.

One buddy of mine swore that the only way to split firewood was with the 16lb orange triangular mauls. He just shook his head after he ripped through a few 14-16" cherry rounds.

I highly recommend this splitting axe.

OK, I have been reading both of the Fiskars SS threads. Do most of the users not have a hydraulic splitter? Will it make me put away my hydaulic splitter? I'm a little fella, 5'8" and 155. Is it something that I will actually use as opposed to the hydaulic?

OK, I have been reading both of the Fiskars SS threads. Do most of the users not have a hydraulic splitter? Will it make me put away my hydaulic splitter? I'm a little fella, 5'8" and 155. Is it something that I will actually use as opposed to the hydaulic?

Having never used a hydraulic splitter, I may not be the best person to answer this, but here is my $0.02 ....

At 5'8" and 155lbs, the Fiskars will be perfect for you. It is light in terms of weight, but splits amazingly well. Some state that the handle should be longer, but I am 6' tall I find it to be no problem whatsoever. The handle should be just right for you.

When compared to the hydraulic, you may find yourself opting for the Fiskars on all but the biggest and/or toughest rounds. With a hydraulic you would have to maneuver the logs to the splitter, lift them, etc. With a Fiskars - you just split them where they stand and you are left with pieces that are much more manageable.

Keep the change!

:cheers:

I don't have a splitter, but I want to build one. Not so much for splitting....most as a challenge...It's going to look different I promise...and then I sell it on ebay....
Anyway, I don't think you are that little.....look at this little bad guy in one of my favorite cartoons...LUCKY LUKE....He can't even crash a bottle...
Have fun watching...
If you have used a 8-12# maul, A Fiskars is like coming to heaven...
You probobly won't put away your splitter, but you will use it MUCH less....See my Youtube video.....and you understand....:cheers:

Got my Fiskars in the mail yesterday. Took it out back while still dressed in work clothes and no gloves to see what all the hubbub is about.

Holy Shnikeys!!! It laughed at the sweetgum rounds! I was not even attempting full speed swings (again, no gloves). My productivity is about to improve dramatically.

WOW! almost 6000 views and how many sold?,,, Wonder when my check will arrive from Fiskers???

Dern that new math!

Third...If you can double the axe speed from taking half weight of, you still double the SPLITTING FORCE

I think you'd have to quadruple your ax speed to get there.
Double x half = One.

But I do think it's an interesting tool. Good videos A-Man!:popcorn:
-br

Latest posts

Back