Fiskars Super splitting axe review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'd have to quadruple your ax speed to get there.
Double x half = One.

But I do think it's an interesting tool. Good videos A-Man!:popcorn:
-br

Thanks for comment boltonranger:clap:

Want to clearify kinetic energi

Energy=1/2 x mass x velocity^2

example in metric...
start with mass 2kg and velocity 1m/s
E=0.5x2x1x1=1 Joule
double mass
E=0.5x4x1x1=2 Joules (2times)
double speed
E=0.5x2x2x2=4 Joules (4times)

Conclusion:
Double the speed gives 4 times the energy and double the mass only gives 2 times the energy
:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Last edited:
OK, I have been reading both of the Fiskars SS threads. Do most of the users not have a hydraulic splitter? Will it make me put away my hydaulic splitter? I'm a little fella, 5'8" and 155. Is it something that I will actually use as opposed to the hydaulic?

The fiskars will not replace a decent hydro but it is a nice backup or a quick split option. Anyone with a hydro should still own 1 axe and this is the one.

All right, I'll pick one up. I've never used a maul-always had a splitter. I could use the exercise.

EDIT: Amazon.com is out of stock on the $49.88 with free shipping. Looks like I will be paying retail somewhere.

EDIT again: Bought one of the two left at Acecloseouts on Ebay. $40.94 shipped!

Last edited:
Conclusion: Double the speed gives 4 times the energy and double the mass only gives 2 times the energy

That's good to know and explains the performance of the FSS.

I bought this cool carabiner to use with my 100' of Samson Amsteel Blue rope, snatch blocks and tree saver slings to pull logs from my forest using my tractor.

The web site suggests "Pulley rotates with loads up to 11kN before any deformation occurs. Should the pulley deform, the biner still retains its rated strength. Strength with closed gate is 24kn, open gate 9kN, if cross-loaded 7kN."

I found that a kn is a kilonewton but I don't know how that relates to actual weight that can be applied in lbs or tons. Can you tell me?

We cut down 10 big poplar trees at my brother's house yesterday and we used it to winch the trees where we wanted it to fall. It didn't break which I was happy:clap: about since it cost me $27 and I had intended to use for backpacking and kayaking.

I just bought the last one from E-bay member (acecloseouts) about 5 minutes ago. Least they said 1 was left.

That's good to know and explains the performance of the FSS.

I bought this cool carabiner to use with my 100' of Samson Amsteel Blue rope, snatch blocks and tree saver slings to pull logs from my forest using my tractor.

The web site suggests "Pulley rotates with loads up to 11kN before any deformation occurs. Should the pulley deform, the biner still retains its rated strength. Strength with closed gate is 24kn, open gate 9kN, if cross-loaded 7kN."

I found that a kn is a kilonewton but I don't know how that relates to actual weight that can be applied in lbs or tons. Can you tell me?

We cut down 10 big poplar trees at my brother's house yesterday and we used it to winch the trees where we wanted it to fall. It didn't break which I was happy:clap: about since it cost me $27 and I had intended to use for backpacking and kayaking.

Newton (N) is the metric SI unit for Force (F)
1 Newton is the force that gives the mass of 1kilogram the acceleration of 1m/s^2.

on earth at sea level the acceleration from gravity is 9.80665 m/s^2. That make 9.80665 N (9.81N)to lift the mass 1 kg. 1 lbs = about 0.454kg so you can say 1 lbs is about 4.45 N or 1N is about 0.225 lbs.

There are many different "tons" a metric ton is 1000kg. an american ton (short ton) is 2000lbs.
to lift the mass of 1 metric ton it takes 9806.6 N:jawdrop:

Ouch!

Thanks for comment boltonranger:clap:

Want to clearify kinetic energi

Energy=1/2 x mass x velocity^2

example in metric...
start with mass 2kg and velocity 1m/s
E=0.5x2x1x1=1 Joule
double mass
E=0.5x4x1x1=2 Joules (2times)
double speed
E=0.5x2x2x2=4 Joules (4times)

Conclusion:
Double the speed gives 4 times the energy and double the mass only gives 2 times the energy
:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

My head hasn't hurt like that since physics class. :dizzy:
I think there's more to it; although we're quickly approaching my pay grade limit... The 2 axes have different rotation speeds; by virtue of their weight and also the length of the handle. If the handles differ, the rotational speed differs. These propeller-heads are discussing axes on their website:
HTML:
robotshttp://www.roboticgladiator.com/tutorials/ax1.html

It's a heady read but you get the idea.
Let's just say "danged good axe." :)
:cheers:
-br

Newton (N) is the metric SI unit for Force (F)
1 Newton is the force that gives the mass of 1kilogram the acceleration of 1m/s^2.

on earth at sea level the acceleration from gravity is 9.80665 m/s^2. That make 9.80665 N (9.81N)to lift the mass 1 kg. 1 lbs = about 0.454kg so you can say 1 lbs is about 4.45 N or 1N is about 0.225 lbs.

There are many different "tons" a metric ton is 1000kg. an american ton (short ton) is 2000lbs.
to lift the mass of 1 metric ton it takes 9806.6 N

Thanks for information.:) So, do you think 24kn is sufficient, and will not break, for pulling maple logs with rope and my tractor?

Yeah, I saw that but it was $55 with shipping. I got one for $40.94 shipped from acecloseouts off ebay.:chainsaw:

sweet find. I bought mine on Amazon 3 weeks back for 44 including shipping. The price is all over the place with this axe... In any event let us know you first impressions.

Thanks for information.:) So, do you think 24kn is sufficient, and will not break, for pulling maple logs with rope and my tractor?

No I definately don't think it is sufficient. Good chance it will break, due to other circumstances like sharp edges, if logs get stuck when pulling etc etc. Get some worned out straps from a flatbed hauler. You can link them together with knots to make them longer. PUT A DRY, 1ft 2"diam, PIECE OF WOOD, inside the knot before tighten it. When you are done you break the wood and the knot is loose.

No I definately don't think it is sufficient. Good chance it will break, due to other circumstances like sharp edges, if logs get stuck when pulling etc etc. Get some worned out straps from a flatbed hauler. You can link them together with knots to make them longer. PUT A DRY, 1ft 2"diam, PIECE OF WOOD, inside the knot before tighten it. When you are done you break the wood and the knot is loose.

Also works for connecting tow straps when pulling trucks or logs out ... for those of us that sometimes neglect to take the shackles along. :blush:

I ordered a super-splitter today from Amazon. Price is $20 to my door. Not a bad deal. It is out of stock, so I hope it doesn't take too long. For that price, I can wait!:rock:

EDIT: Amazon.com is out of stock on the $49.88 with free shipping. Looks like I will be paying retail somewhere.

EDIT again: Bought one of the two left at Acecloseouts on Ebay. $40.94 shipped!

Menard's lumber/hardware stores (much like Home Despot) sell them for $39.99, or at least they did when I bought mine in December.

Edit: Mike, do you have a link for yours? I don't see anything bigger than a hatchet on Amazon for $20.

Last edited:
Good Luck to all the Ebay buyers, I bought one on March 5th at 9am when 8 were available. I just got an email from them that my order is cancelled as they are out of stock. They refunded my money but I'm still P.O.d about it. Can you post a link where you found it on amazon for 20 bucks???? I will reorder there and wait.

Good Luck to all the Ebay buyers, I bought one on March 5th at 9am when 8 were available. I just got an email from them that my order is cancelled as they are out of stock. They refunded my money but I'm still P.O.d about it. Can you post a link where you found it on amazon for 20 bucks???? I will reorder there and wait.

Yeah, I just got my refund, too. Oh, well. I'll find one locally.

I just picked up my FSS from my freight forwarder in Michigan.

I bought it from Acecloseouts on EBay for $41 including shipping.

I was excited to try it and split a bunch of already split frozen maple into smaller pieces. So far....it really is as good as everyone said:clap:

Sadly, I won't have any chance to use it for eight days as we are leaving for Cuba in the morning.

If you can buy them for $20 on Amazon, including shipping, I will buy 100 and sell them here in Canada. Strangely, Fiskars doesn't sell the Super Splitter in Canada.

Back