fitness for climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was 207 last year, just checked the scale and am 182. Strong as a bull moose and feel great. I felt fine at 207 too, but I am 29 so maybe it doesn't matter too much. Bring on the climbing. I'll run a mile backwards, doesn't much matter to me.

Was 207 last year, just checked the scale and am 182. Strong as a bull moose and feel great. I felt fine at 207 too, but I am 29 so maybe it doesn't matter too much. Bring on the climbing. I'll run a mile backwards, doesn't much matter to me.

182 would be good for me. I am about 189 right now, was 198 a month ago. Ran 5 miles today. Want to get up to 6 a day, every day. But you are 29....man, back then I could go all day and then party all night.

155 as a high school senior, 155 forty years later. Rarely varied more than five pounds, either way.

Doesn't ANYBODY lift weights? I have been lifting since I was 17 and still feel weird if not lifting. I have cut back substantially but still do a split routine with 2 days on and one off. Chest and shoulders and back on one day and arms and legs on the next. All exercises are done in opposites with, for example, one set of presses and lat pull downs or pullups ....leg extensions./leg curls....curls/tri extensions....bench press/rowing, etc. etc.

I hook my ascentree up to the lat machine and also have a tricep extension rope that I use on there too to simulate climbing.

Running!!! Lifting Weights!!! Have you all gone completely mad? :hmm3grin2orange:

I supplement my climbing with the odd bit of branch dragging. Seems to keep me in shape! :cheers:

LOL! Me too, 6 years of Army running burned me out on it. I swim every other day and do 'the daily dozen' calisthenics as well as a 2 mile walk. (bad knees)

More power to you, use it or lose it!

Graduated HS 155. Benched 155. After college I weighed 185 benched 295. Now I weigh 209, back in the gym a little.... benching 240 or so. Its winter though. I'll be back to 195 come spring. Bucket truck makes me fat! haha..... Mike

Last edited:
Did 6 trees today. First time in the saddle for more than one or two trees in a while. Got the first 5 on the ground in 3 hours, 4 fairly large sweetgums and one small poplar, the last was a dead, and I mean really dead oak with a severe lean towards the house. That one consumed two hours by itself.

All in all felt good. Was real happy with how the first three hours went. That damn oak tree ruined my day though. Why do people wait so long to address dead trees?

I am lifting some weights right now to boost my upper body strength. Knees keep me from doing much lifting with my legs.

Im still active duty, Navy though at the 10yr mark. I feel you on the running thing, granted we don't run as much as the Army does, I was stationed with them for 2 years on the HSV-X1 Joint Venture and they ran everywhere. We only do maybe 8-12 miles a week for our regimented PT and quite a bit of weight training . I try to switch things up every couple months so the body doesn't get burned out. Being one of the bigger guys at 6'1 270lbs and 20%bf I can still run distance and out run most of the skinnies'. They hate me for it.

Doesn't ANYBODY lift weights? I have been lifting since I was 17 and still feel weird if not lifting. I have cut back substantially but still do a split routine with 2 days on and one off. Chest and shoulders and back on one day and arms and legs on the next. All exercises are done in opposites with, for example, one set of presses and lat pull downs or pullups ....leg extensions./leg curls....curls/tri extensions....bench press/rowing, etc. etc.

I hook my ascentree up to the lat machine and also have a tricep extension rope that I use on there too to simulate climbing.

Avid weight lifter here.. I train as heavy as possible 4-5 days a week. Easier said than done after a long summer day at work.. I do Cardio when I feel up to it. I race a 5k or two every summer with my family but i am not a long distance runner as it burns off muscle. In reality im sure id be a faster climber if I were to LOSE some muscle, but Im too young and studly to emaciate myself (Doesnt hurt when I go to the beach either) .. Lifting keeps the body fat lower than just running by itself. Id advise anyone looking to shed some pounds and all around just feel better to hit the weights 3x a week in conjunction with their cardio routine.

how about some inside secrets

Well---this is going to start a debate, maybe. I've been a vegetarian since I was 25, still eating some cheese products and the occasional egg. I went vegan at 39, swearing off all animal products. I look at my old friends and some of them are still in good shape, and they eat animal products but little red meat. I felt better giving up meat. I have moral objections to the taking of animal lives, to provide us with food, when it is just not necessary. I also think I know that meat is not healthy, at least for me. I never felt good after chowing down on a steak or burger, even in my carnivorous days. I'm not preachy, so I'm not out to convert everyone to vegetarianism/veganism. If it feels good for you, great. If not, just keep on keeping on.

As I type this I'm fighting a raging head cold with a 102 fever, no cough. I worked in the rain, today, doing a ground cover scalp-out and mulch job around a big Live Oak. Seeing as how I came down with this crap yesterday afternoon, I felt I would feel better working, today. Usually, I find that laying in bed prolongs any illness. I get a cold maybe once a year and always push through it. If my fever doesn't break, I may just have to pack myself in ice. Woohoo!

OK, OK, all you jokers, let's hear it: "Hey SG, you need to down a thick, bloody steak. You'll feel better in no time at all!" Ha-ha-----

Back