fitness for climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2:

I'm a STRICT vegetarian.

but i do eat steak, chicken and pork on occasion.

Well---this is going to start a debate, maybe. I've been a vegetarian since I was 25, still eating some cheese products and the occasional egg. I went vegan at 39, swearing off all animal products. I look at my old friends and some of them are still in good shape, and they eat animal products but little red meat. I felt better giving up meat. I have moral objections to the taking of animal lives, to provide us with food, when it is just not necessary. I also think I know that meat is not healthy, at least for me. I never felt good after chowing down on a steak or burger, even in my carnivorous days. I'm not preachy, so I'm not out to convert everyone to vegetarianism/veganism. If it feels good for you, great. If not, just keep on keeping on.

As I type this I'm fighting a raging head cold with a 102 fever, no cough. I worked in the rain, today, doing a ground cover scalp-out and mulch job around a big Live Oak. Seeing as how I came down with this crap yesterday afternoon, I felt I would feel better working, today. Usually, I find that laying in bed prolongs any illness. I get a cold maybe once a year and always push through it. If my fever doesn't break, I may just have to pack myself in ice. Woohoo!

OK, OK, all you jokers, let's hear it: "Hey SG, you need to down a thick, bloody steak. You'll feel better in no time at all!" Ha-ha-----

As soon as I start to feel sick I take echinacea and it has kept me out of colds and flu for about 8 years now. Once you get real sick I don't think it works so well though.

I am the total opposite of SG. I am a hunter with a freezer full of meat and fish and absolutely swoon with excitement at the sight of animal blood on one of my arrows. I am in the process of cutting and wrapping 4 wild hogs as I type. But I am not preachy either and believe in live and let live (as long as it doesn't have massive antlers growing out of it's head).

I used to love to lift weights but haven't done it since 2006. I played football up through HS and was always lifting weights when I was young. My weight lifting today consists of humping logs and toting firewood. Although I plan to join a gym as soon as work picks up a little more, if for no other reason than just to be able to use the hot tub and sauna.

I am the Muhammad Ali of the tree care industry. I am at 225 right now and will be down to 200 by April. Happens every year. I get slow in the Wintertime and beef up. Not hard to do when you keep a freezer full of meat and like to eat as I do. I do still get exercise because I hunt nearly everyday that I am not working in the off season but still don't expend as much energy as I do while working. Once I get busy I don't eat as much and am more active. The pounds just shed off of me. I usually run a good 25-30 pounds lighter in the busy season. Which I find it is not a bad thing to run a little heavier in the Wintertime. It's nice to have a good layer of blubber when you are spending everyday out in the cold and elements chasing critters. :D

I do mostly large removals and not to toot my own horn but I do a lot of them around here that no one else will touch. I came up working with much larger trees than I have in the area I now live and work so the smaller trees here are elementary to me. You can't help but stay in shape when you are working large trees everyday. I have 5 large removals scheduled to do in the next two weeks so the workout program has already begun... ;)

This is not a widely accepted hypothesis, but it would explain why some do so well as vegetarians and others require meat. Check your blood type profile and see if it fits.

http://www.dadamo.com/

Sylvia and I are entirely different in our diets. I am Type O, can virtually live off of red meat and feel fantastic. Sylvia is Type A and does much better primarily on grains and vegetables.

This all makes sense to me and would explain a lot of the discrepancies in what works for some and not for others.

Dave

As soon as I start to feel sick I take echinacea and it has kept me out of colds and flu for about 8 years now. Once you get real sick I don't think it works so well though.

Yep! I've been popping Echinacea and Goldenseal caps for the past 36 hours, and drinking Echinacea tea. My fever backed off about a half-hour ago. Down to 100, right now.

This is not a widely accepted hypothesis, but it would explain why some do so well as vegetarians and others require meat. Check your blood type profile and see if it fits.

Sylvia and I are entirely different in our diets. I am Type O, can virtually live off of red meat and feel fantastic. Sylvia is Type A and does much better primarily on grains and vegetables.

This all makes sense to me and would explain a lot of the discrepancies in what works for some and not for others.

Dave

Wow! What a coincidence. I just got off the phone with my buddy in Boca, and he was going over that book about blood type vs. diet. I may look into it, although I have no problems with my current diet.

Dave

I didn't read much, but everything I read was chocked full of misinformation and unsupported assertions. Nothing I came across offered any basis or explanation for any of the pseudo-science drivel that I read. I couldn't take any more, and I left the website.

Here is what blood types are all about: we are born with certain types of proteins in our bodies. Foreign proteins (like bee stings and peanuts) can cause our bodies to react violently against the intruding protein.

Type A blood has the type A proteins, if you give them type B or AB blood (containing type B antigens), their body recognizes it and reacts badly.

Type B blood has the type B proteins, if you give them type A or AB blood (containing type A antigens), their body recognizes it and reacts badly.

Type AB blood has both A&B proteins, they can take blood from anybody (on that blood marker only).

Type O blood is the universal donor: they don't have either A or B antigens present, so they can't cause the allergic reaction to others. This is the most common type.

If there is any correlation to diet and blood type, it would be found that some of the proteins in our diet are similar to the antigens in our different blood types. I was told (10th grade biology?) that the reason we are reactive to the wrong blood type when we first get a transfusion is because our bodies have already made an immune response from exposure to the antigens that are already present in our diet.

While the blood type/diet interaction might be supported by scientific analysis of the protein content of the foods involved, the website cited above does not make any arguments on that basis that I could find. This kind of material is immunology 101, and if it were a valid theory, I think it would have been hashed out 75 years ago.

By the way, I am type O, and I don't match very many of the theories predictions.

WOW!! Who would have thought it? That website promotes their own special variety of health food products, all of which are uniquely engineered for YOUR specific blood type.

Last edited:
I'm 38, 14 years in U.S.M.C., I teach Judo at Miletich Fighting System's in Bettendorf. Heniated c6-7, 2 tore Rotator Cusp's, Both arms have braceal nerve damage! I feel grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!............................NOT, barley move in the A.M., This life has been rough on the body so take care of it!

First rule of Zombieland, CARDIO

There is so much talk of injury. So much capability for injury in this business in addition to the individual that is very active in other ventures (treemen).

The answer....weight lifting. I am 61 (Sun) and last night I played a hour and a half of high level racquetball, a sport known to find and injure the weakest link in the bod. Every aspect of your body can be protected by resistance/stretching ....so given that we make no money without this equipment (the body) why not maintain it.

From below the head to feet exercises can be done to stave off injure. Here are the ones I do..

Neck- 25 lb. weight plate laying on the front, sides and back of the head and torqued your head around.

Shoulders- dumbell/barbell press and lateral raises with dumbells then (opposite) lat machine pull downs (lats) and flys (pecs)

Back-dumbell rowing and hanging rows then (opposite) incline press (upper chest)

Biceps-curls (also lat machine pulldowns) and then (opposite) tricep pulldowns on lat machine

Quads- leg extensions on machine and then (opposite) leg curls for hamstrings

Upper quads (for spiking/footlocking) deep squats or leg presses or squat jumps and then toe raises (calves)

Grips with spring gripper and putty ball and torque a sledge hammer around.

Wrist curls on lat machine seated and then (opposite) reverse wrist curls including a roll up rope with weight on the end of the rope.

Stomach sit ups and wheel roller then (opposite) back curls

A split routine weight work out takes a little more than a half hour.

I have all the equipment necessary to do all this in my garage collected mostly from garage sales. But I also have a gym membership to give a change and also the view is much better there with the weights situated behind the aerobic machines if you know what I mean.

If you really want to climb into maturity you have to do this stuff as you age.

You also have to add some cardio. During a week I run, jump rope, play racquetball, bike and pretty much eat whatever the mood strikes me to eat. Weights in the morning and then cardio in the evening for 35 to 40 minutes.

By the way, I am type O, and I don't match very many of the theories predictions.

Yes I can see that now.

"...when stressed Type O’s response can be one of anger, hyperactivity, and impulsivity." (from the website)

"...and if it were a valid theory, I think it would have been hashed out 75 years ago." (from your post)

Yes, western medicine and its science has had pretty much all the answers for a very long time. That's why we are all so healthy in our enlightened society.

Because the complexity of blood goes beyond simple proteins, would it be unrealistic to think that different blood types have different needs and those needs made even more variable by the individual's genetics which go beyond blood type?

Dave

This really isn't the forum for this kind of conversation, but since you seem to be poking at me, :poke: I will respond:

I am a bookworm. I like to relax, I like to read. Fun in my book seldom includes getting out and running around a whole lot. My strongest and most unique personal trait is my ability to stay focused on a single topic with an unremitting pursuit of completion. The very length of this response supports my assertions. So much for hyperactivity.

I NEVER become angry to the point of implusive behavior. I can only remember being genuinely angry about 5 times in my entire life. I have been married for 13 years, and I have never had a fight with my wife. I have never been in a physical fight in my life. My friends often comment that they do not understand how I can put up with the stress invoked by the problems at my business. So much for the "anger when stressed" concept.

Impulsive? Ho Ho Ho. I am the least impulsive person you will ever meet. I refuse to make an impulse purchase strictly because it might be impulsive. When firing employees, it is carefully done, and NEVER because I am upset or angry with that employee. I won't even stop for coffee in the morning just because I have the time and happen to want a cup and happen to be passing a very popular convenience store that sells a variety of very good coffees. When I do finally stop for food at a fast food restaurant, I don't buy what I want; I buy what I think is the best value, based on cost analysis of price, weight, and nutrition. I am widely known for my complete lack of impulsive tendencies.

So much for my personal comparison to the theory. Now, back to the real argument.

There are only 4 blood types addressed by this theory, right? That means that there should only be 4 kinds of specialized diets according to the theory, right? Only 4 kinds of people in this world, that have only 4 different nutritional needs? What a load of bunk! There are as many different food allergies as there are different kinds of food. This is even more ridiculous than astrologers trying to tell us that there are only 12 different kinds of personalities, and that they come in waves one month long, according to the season they were born in.

I have not found ANY correlation among blood types for peanut allergies or gluten intolerance, the two notorious food allergies that I checked out. When the originator of the theory will not publish ANY supporting documentation, experimental data, nor even any explanation to how it all works, I am obliged to scoff. This is all product promotional nonsense that will take your dollars and not deliver any meaningful gain in health.

If you can show any real research that demonstrates support for this misleading nonsense, start a thread in the off-topic forum and PM me. I will take up the gauntlet. But not here.

Last edited:
I don't care.

Believe it or not, I'm not the one arguing here. I just posted some information that I found interesting in regards to health.

Dave

Sorry for killing this thread!

Ok, boys: back to the stories of fitness and your efforts to maintain. I am envious of you fitness nuts. I have never been inspired to work out after a hard day at work.

Once upon a time, I was always fit and ready to go. Work, genetics, and diet were always sufficient. Sadly, my bad ankle takes all the fun out of work, and really takes the fun out of any kind of physical play, so any excercise that I do is a genuine drudge.

I am, however, working on it. S L O W progress on loosing my excess weight. [I could loose 30 lbs to be back to optimum] It was never a problem 'til I got married and started eating regular meals.

I am still far less overweight than the average guy my age. I go to school functions with my kids and look at all the other parents, most of which are 20 years younger than myself. The obvious bloating of our society is appalling. I can't see it ever getting better until times get really tough, and people have to manually do what we use machines for now. Stairs, transportation, cooking, cleaning. Everything in our culture is designed to make life easy, with the end result that we suffer from obesity.

I've been cutting, splitting and stacking wood to keep in shape over the winter. Now that it is warming up a little and we're getting some dry days I've ramped up the firewood gathering; I can get wood out of the woods with less ground damage now.

I've been riding my bike a little bit, going walking with the wife, some running, and playing basketball with a few guys a couple of days a week.

I'm going to climb and take down a couple trees around the house and trim a couple more. That should help a lot with getting in "climbing shape".

As for diet I eat a lot of whole foods. My wife bakes whole wheat bread using flour she grinds from wheat. That stuff is so good I'll eat a half a loaf when it comes out of the oven. Also eat a lot of fruits and veggies, beans and lentils, etc. I like cheese and eat a bit of that, also sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, H&H in my coffee and milk in my tea. A couple of mornings a week I'll have eggs for breakfast.

I eat a bit of meat, red, poultry, fish, and love all of them. I eat very little pork, since I don't care for the flavor; but I do love crispy bacon.

I tried being a vegetarian and it just did not work for me so I gave it up after a couple of years.

The big thing is to drink enough water. When I'm climbing I usually skip coffee that day. I rarely drink pop anyway, but I'm even less likely to drink it during climbing season. I do like a little gatorade, diliuted about 1/1 with water.

Mr. HE:cool:

My routine

32 years old, 5' 8", 195 lbs. Have been lifting on and off for 11 years, more intensely in the past five. Played semi-pro football in 07, so I wanted to bulk up...in the process I got addicted to heavier and heavier routines...got stuck in a rut until my left shoulder, knees and back continuously hurt, (does not help that I was a timber faller for 12 years and had a lot of wrecks that tore up my body) so I finally decided to throw my ego out the window and start over. Now using lighter weights, and getting a lot more cardio (only with weight training, as I hate running) Right now I am alternating these two workouts, 3 days a week: Workout 1 is a superset workout which consists of: 3 sets of 6-8 reps of bench press, and reverse bench press with little rest between sets, the next superset is 3 sets of 4-6 reps performed all together with no rest, (except between sets)...deadlift, hang clean, military press, and front squat; Then if I have enough time, a superset of 3 sets of 8-10 reps of 45 degree dumbbell butterflies, followed by 3 sets of 8-10 reps of 45 degree prone reverse dumbell flies; followed by my last superset of 3 sets of 8-10 reps of 45 degree supinated seated dumbbell bicep curls immediately followed by 45 degree seated cross-body unilateral dumbbell extensions. I always end with 3 sets of 8-15 reps of standing sideways external rotations to help strengthen my rotator cuffs.

Workout two is the "300" workout:

http://http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1185136093?bctid=742940364

a) Pullups - 25 reps
b) Deadlifts with 135lbs - 50 reps
c) Pushups - 50 reps
d) 24-inch Box jumps - 50 reps
e) Floor wipers - 50 reps
f) Single-arm Clean-and-Press with 36lbs Kettlebell - 50 reps
g) Pullups - 25 reps

All exercises are done without scheduled rest between moves.

This was originally designed as a test to see how the actors in the movie were progressing, but obviously it can be designed as a workout (working it in sets). My time is 33 minutes for 300 reps, and is improving every time i do it. So far the only exersizes that I have performed with no rest are the 50 deadlifts, 50 pushups, and the 50 single-arm clean and presses, but I always need a short rest between exersizes. It is intense, and always leaves me winded and very tired.

Anyhow, one week I will perform workout 1 on Monday and Friday, and workout 2 on Wednesday. The next week I perform workout 2 on Monday and Friday and workout 1 on wednesday. I am not very disciplined with my diet :cry: but I try to eat a lot of lean protein especially after a workout, I also supplement some with creatine (cellmass) and protein powder (muscle milk) Sorry for the long post...I get all fired up when it comes to working out :)

I could never get into working out. Could never get into working for nothing. I understand it if you are an office guy, but if you are a climber, or work construction etc, just do your job, work harder. I have worked with people that worked out, never been too impressed. Work ain't a gym, to many variables. But it if makes you feel good, thats great.

32 years old, 5' 8", 195 lbs. Have been lifting on and off for 11 years, more intensely in the past five. Played semi-pro football in 07, so I wanted to bulk up...in the process I got addicted to heavier and heavier routines...got stuck in a rut until my left shoulder, knees and back continuously hurt, (does not help that I was a timber faller for 12 years and had a lot of wrecks that tore up my body) so I finally decided to throw my ego out the window and start over. Now using lighter weights, and getting a lot more cardio (only with weight training, as I hate running) Right now I am alternating these two workouts, 3 days a week: Workout 1 is a superset workout which consists of: 3 sets of 6-8 reps of bench press, and reverse bench press with little rest between sets, the next superset is 3 sets of 4-6 reps performed all together with no rest, (except between sets)...deadlift, hang clean, military press, and front squat; Then if I have enough time, a superset of 3 sets of 8-10 reps of 45 degree dumbbell butterflies, followed by 3 sets of 8-10 reps of 45 degree prone reverse dumbell flies; followed by my last superset of 3 sets of 8-10 reps of 45 degree supinated seated dumbbell bicep curls immediately followed by 45 degree seated cross-body unilateral dumbbell extensions. I always end with 3 sets of 8-15 reps of standing sideways external rotations to help strengthen my rotator cuffs.

Workout two is the "300" workout:

http://http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1185136093?bctid=742940364

a) Pullups - 25 reps
b) Deadlifts with 135lbs - 50 reps
c) Pushups - 50 reps
d) 24-inch Box jumps - 50 reps
e) Floor wipers - 50 reps
f) Single-arm Clean-and-Press with 36lbs Kettlebell - 50 reps
g) Pullups - 25 reps

All exercises are done without scheduled rest between moves.

This was originally designed as a test to see how the actors in the movie were progressing, but obviously it can be designed as a workout (working it in sets). My time is 33 minutes for 300 reps, and is improving every time i do it. So far the only exersizes that I have performed with no rest are the 50 deadlifts, 50 pushups, and the 50 single-arm clean and presses, but I always need a short rest between exersizes. It is intense, and always leaves me winded and very tired.

Anyhow, one week I will perform workout 1 on Monday and Friday, and workout 2 on Wednesday. The next week I perform workout 2 on Monday and Friday and workout 1 on wednesday. I am not very disciplined with my diet :cry: but I try to eat a lot of lean protein especially after a workout, I also supplement some with creatine (cellmass) and protein powder (muscle milk) Sorry for the long post...I get all fired up when it comes to working out :)

Great workout Cody, now I don't feel so neurotic on this thread. Could you just imagine the workouts of the top UFC fighters?

By the way...what are reverse bench presses and reverse flys (lateral raises?)?

Great workout Cody, now I don't feel so neurotic on this thread. Could you just imagine the workouts of the top UFC fighters?

By the way...what are reverse bench presses and reverse flys (lateral raises?)?

Yeah those UFC guys are tough!

Here is a picture of what is called a reverse pushup, but I do it with a backpack with a weight plate in it.

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/best-body-men/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100186503&imageindex=2

these are the reverse flies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c40HQSNVy5w

Yeah those UFC guys are tough!

Here is a picture of what is called a reverse pushup, but I do it with a backpack with a weight plate in it.

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/best-body-men/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100186503&imageindex=2

these are the reverse flies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c40HQSNVy5w

yeah, I do those reverse pushups but have always considered them a type of rowing. Great for climbing. I put a weight plate on my stomach.

The reverse flys I have always considered those bent over lateral raises.

thanks for reply

I'm 38, 14 years in U.S.M.C., I teach Judo at Miletich Fighting System's in Bettendorf. Heniated c6-7, 2 tore Rotator Cusp's, Both arms have braceal nerve damage! I feel grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!............................NOT, barley move in the A.M., This life has been rough on the body so take care of it!

First rule of Zombieland, CARDIO

Sounds pretty cool, I'd love to workout with those guys. Was doing some light mma training for a couple years and laid off of it for a while, then back last spring for a few months. It's hard to find the time, for me anyway.

I get too bored with the weights but have been thinking of getting back into it a little bit when I figure out where to put a bench. Still trying to get my knee back into shape before I go into surgery, not till April, fricken waiting sucks.

Back