fitness for climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. But I find it ironic when a guy wants to get in shape yet rides a wraptor and a bucket. It's not that complicated just climb a little more maybe even drag some brush. We are lucky that our job provides adrenaline, a total body workout and pays well . Its up to you to take advantage of it.

A little respect might be in order, young Drew........

I surmise that Dave is my equal for conditioning, and ability......and he's even older than dirt, I mean me.......when you get to our level, then you can talk......

5' 10" 142-147. That's my set point. I climb, do ground work, brushing, steel work, carpentry, masonry, soil excavation. Got three kids that need to be chased and picked up and wrestled with. I practice MMA, and free climb boulders and all kinds of trees alike, for fun. All in all, its the push ups, pull ups, jumping jax, and sit ups every night that keeps me prime. I also do muscle conditioning in the morning and stretches.

Im in my mid 20's, and want to take advantage of my age and abilities before they start slipping, hopefully I will get some longevity out of it.... :)

A couple bowls of cereal in the morning with some thicker stuff holding it together, and I am good to work 6 hrs strait. Solid fat sandwich and some fixins, and I will work another 6 hrs before cleaning up and heading home.

Generalizations are generally true. Buckets are great for turning trees into balls,squares or the ever popular flat top but do not produce quality prunes just quantity.. How many branches did you smash through to make those collar cuts.

A bucket truck is a tool to do a job. If you use the tool coorectly and with skill you can achieve a high quality level of work. You have never seen my work and I take offense when you say that I smash through limbs. Every tool has its place. A generalization by definition does not apply to every situation. Don't be rude..... Mike

Well I recently went on a diet and am losing weight because of high blood pressure. I broke both collar bones and smashed my left scapula and broke a rib and and punctured a lung and have a hairline fracture in one vertebrae. I hurt most days but still get it done I am also having elbow and wrist problems. I can work through the pain most days but there are times I choose to set it out. I need to exercise and wished I had a buddy that would work with me.
To me it is hard to get into a routine of steady work out and stay motivated. I think losing some of my weight with my diet may just get me going enough to start some sort of daily exercise ritual. I know what it is like to be in top shape but it has been a long time since two a day football practice. Sometimes I wish coach Tom was still lighting a fire under me lmfao:cheers:

Started lifting weights and running in high school, got serious about the weights but slowed on the running in college, and then stopped when I began teaching...
Got pretty dumpy when I drove a gravel-truck and followed that with restaurant work...
Started working with the tree-service I am currently the grunt for and have noticed over the last year that I am stronger and in better shape than I have ever been.
Always only ate one meal a day, with a few snacks, or not, now and then. Have not been sick in years, and stay away from sugar (except for Dr. Pepper), processed foods, chemicals, pills and never add salt. Can't say the hair is sticking around, but hey, one less thing to worry about, right?

Never believed it ever mattered how much I ate, just how I made use of it...sit around, and it only turns to fat and waste...move, and it turns to muscle and energy...One meal a day feels right, but as I said, snacks as needed are sometimes helpful.

sorry so long getting back to this

Training with UFC guys is ok, the big namers at the gym are pretty cool, they can be pre-maddonas though, Hughes and Silvia are not cool.Walk around with their nose up their own butt, Spencer Fisher, Jens, Drew McFedreis, Robbie Lawler and so one are all really cool and Pat is the greatest! He has me doing the Indian Club work out to re-hab my shoulders
Ryan McGivern, ex IFL fighter has cardio so good that Lance Armstrong and his team came here to look at his work out, they stressed him and his max heart beat was 68! his rested is 38! his heart is twice as big as normal!

We have Ultra Fit, Judo,Sambo, Jui-Jitsu, Muai Thai, Wrestling and Boxing. I teach Judo, when the fighters come to class, they dont stick around long, they dont like GI'S and really dont like being tapped by a non-fighter!:biggrinbounce2:

I have heard that Hughes is pretty arrogant. He just looks like someone who you would want to kick his ass... That is if I were in better shape... :hmm3grin2orange:

He's taken a few serious ass whupins lately. More to come I predict. Past his prime. Big time fight this Fri...GSP and that crazy Brit with the mohawk.

I have heard that Hughes is pretty arrogant. He just looks like someone who you would want to kick his ass... That is if I were in better shape... :hmm3grin2orange:

Hell, just stick him behind the chuck and duck chipping mulberry or honey locust and he will whine like a baby:laugh:

LOL, he WAS asked to leave the GYM, His arrogance was to much, acted like he was a god, other fighters hated him because he is a big liar.

He started his own, no success yet. He is fighting Renzo Gracie next, Im sure it will be his last

Tin Sivlia talks about him self in the third person! He is leaving as well, thank god!

GSP, IMO is the first of the 3rd generation of fighters, He is absolutely phenomenal. Him and Anderson Silva are the best out there.
We have some up and comers, but no one ready for a belt. It wont take Pat long, we do after all, Have the winning-est Gym in all the world when it comes to MMA, more belts have been won from ours than all others put together, that's cause of Pat. He on the other hand, is a great guy. Him and the other 3 guys who run the gym our wonderful, with my deal, they all have developed a program for me to rehab my body, its tough, but its working, soon I hope to be able to climb again, you all want a work out program, check into "ULTRA-FIT" its like cross fit, but more designed for explosive power, which i believe works better for what we do. Pat has affiliate gyms all over, If anybody is interested, I can get u hooked up.

Type in "the Swearinger boys" on you tube, my boys kicking but all over the eastern seaboard!

Last edited:
LOL, he WAS asked to leave the GYM, His arrogance was to much, acted like he was a god, other fighters hated him because he is a big liar.

He started his own, no success yet. He is fighting Renzo Gracie next, Im sure it will be his last

Tin Sivlia talks about him self in the third person! He is leaving as well, thank god!

GSP, IMO is the first of the 3rd generation of fighters, He is absolutely phenomenal. Him and Anderson Silva are the best out there.
We have some up and comers, but no one ready for a belt. It wont take Pat long, we do after all, Have the winning-est Gym in all the world when it comes to MMA, more belts have been won from ours than all others put together, that's cause of Pat. He on the other hand, is a great guy. Him and the other 3 guys who run the gym our wonderful, with my deal, they all have developed a program for me to rehab my body, its tough, but its working, soon I hope to be able to climb again, you all want a work out program, check into "ULTRA-FIT" its like cross fit, but more designed for explosive power, which i believe works better for what we do. Pat has affiliate gyms all over, If anybody is interested, I can get u hooked up.

Type in "the Swearinger boys" on you tube, my boys kicking but all over the eastern seaboard!

Lol I checked it out and it made me remember once I made a similar move on a guy that weighed about 250 and I was barely a hundred pounds. I did not know what I was doing but I flipped him with very little effort and he thought I did, we were merely playing around but he avoided me for a while after that lol. We have a 70 year old akido master here that all the young black belts say is too rough with them, he is definitely a force even at that age. It makes me wish I would have learned it but really I gave up fighting several years ago.

Last edited:
sorry so long getting back to this

Training with UFC guys is ok, the big namers at the gym are pretty cool, they can be pre-maddonas though, Hughes and Silvia are not cool.Walk around with their nose up their own butt, Spencer Fisher, Jens, Drew McFedreis, Robbie Lawler and so one are all really cool and Pat is the greatest! He has me doing the Indian Club work out to re-hab my shoulders
Ryan McGivern, ex IFL fighter has cardio so good that Lance Armstrong and his team came here to look at his work out, they stressed him and his max heart beat was 68! his rested is 38! his heart is twice as big as normal!

We have Ultra Fit, Judo,Sambo, Jui-Jitsu, Muai Thai, Wrestling and Boxing. I teach Judo, when the fighters come to class, they dont stick around long, they dont like GI'S and really dont like being tapped by a non-fighter!:biggrinbounce2:

Where did you study Judo? I spent 4 years at Yakota Air Base, the majority of which I spent training at Masunaga's Dojo in Fussa City, Tokyo. I miss it a lot, no good judo schools near me.

In all honesty I am shocked there are not more Judo players that do well in MMA

Last edited:
Where did you study Judo? I spent 4 years at Yakota Air Base, the majority of which I spent training at Masunaga's Dojo in Fussa City, Tokyo. I miss it a lot, no good judo schools near me.

In all honesty I am shocked there are not more Judo players that do well in MMA

I take it this was before you got into stacking glazed doughnuts on your batton huh? :laugh:

Back