fitness for climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They also produce some of the worst prunes I have ever seen and are worthless in most urban areas.

Thats a very generalized and innacurate opinion. I use my bucket all the time, in urban areas and my prune jobs are to ISA standards, all cuts just outside the branch bark collar etc. We used it today on two prunes, I climbed two others and Talltreeclimber climbed 4. It definately has limitations but in certain situations can be a life saver. I used to climb 5 days a week. You won't be doing that your whole life, believe me. .... Mike

Ill will agree with John paul , doing tree work will not hit every body part adaquately and some more than adaquately. I am a huge fan of weightlifting and strength conditioning being in the military Its madatory. Most people , I've noticed, are always hurting their backs especially doing lots of manual labor. I can't stress enough that you need to build those back muscles as well as your abs and obliques, having a strong core will make life much easier. bent knee and stiff legs deadlifts will strenthen that back in no time and those of you whom have had back trouble it will help ease those pains by better supporting your spine.

:agree2: once you have had back problems and the associated pain and sciatica a few exercises a day are nothing to never have it again.

Another good general exercise, core inclusive and stress reliever is the good ole heavy bag.

Most people , I've noticed, are always hurting their backs especially doing lots of manual labor. I can't stress enough that you need to build those back muscles as well as your abs and obliques, having a strong core will make life much easier.

You need to do positive and negative movements with all them muscles. So many people stretch the back, but do nothing for a contractive movement.

I personally think that is why most guys have back pain, lack of muscle to support the spine that makes your cartlidge between vertebre disappear before it should then the variours other back problems are well on their way, ruptured disc. Broken bones , and just all around missery. I lift weights alot. I go as heavy as I can for back , usually only do stiff leg deadlifts and save the bent knee for military presses or clean and presses. I start with 315 lbs x10-12 405 x 6-8 then 495 3-5. Guys at work keep tellin' me Im gonna " throw out my back " doing that but I think it keeps it strong and I havn't had a back pain in a long time.

Yeah, it is a thin line between hurting and helping muscles.

Every exercise I do opposites like push then pull.

I do back curl ups with a 25# plate on the back of the neck. Used to do them on a roman chair but found I could do them on my leg curl machine so I tossed the chair. I am now thinking about dead lifts after hearing this. It gives a lot more for one execise....quads, back, grip etc

If you do start deadlifts start really light. Definately something you gotta build up and yes is surely gives the legs a good work out too. If you do start doing deadlifts you will quickly notice daily tasks like bending and lifting stuff gets alot easier.

Doesn't ANYBODY lift weights? I have been lifting since I was 17 and still feel weird if not lifting. I have cut back substantially but still do a split routine with 2 days on and one off. Chest and shoulders and back on one day and arms and legs on the next. All exercises are done in opposites with, for example, one set of presses and lat pull downs or pullups ....leg extensions./leg curls....curls/tri extensions....bench press/rowing, etc. etc.

I hook my ascentree up to the lat machine and also have a tricep extension rope that I use on there too to simulate climbing.

I still suck in my gut and stick out my chest around the wife. She will sucker punch me when I don't! We just ordered the insanity workout and I will start running once the snow is almost gone. I hear you about lifting weights! I need to do it to keep everything in proper balance.

Weight training vs. Hard work???

I partly agree with this. If you have the work to do it is the better way to stay in shape. Too many lean tough farm kids taking out the big tough muscle builders to ever argue with that.

This winter I ran into a problem I've not really faced before. There was no work to do, hard physical work anyway. I've got plenty to do on the property here, but some of that was underwater. and the rest just could not be done with all the wet.

I helped a few friends out for nothing just for the excercise. LOL

Anyway, when I was working every day dawn to dark, several guys saw my skinny frame and agreed to arm wrestle. To date I have never lost to anybody except one tough little farm kid from Tillamook, OR. He could bench three times his own weight, and that was as high as my weight set went. 150/450:jawdrop:

Mr. HE:cool:

I started out as a lean tough farm kid; Bought my first new chainsaw when I was twelve, and was falling timber for my Uncle and my Dad on the weekends and every Summer. Went to work falling timber for one of the largest...if not THE largest helicopter logging, and aerial lift companies in the world...fell timber all over the country from the swamps in Florida, to the Rain forest in Alaska on the most remote and rugged terrain imaginable. We worked 6, sometimes 7 days a week, 7 hours a day busheling (production timber falling), and I was in excellent shape...for a production timber faller that is ( which is the most physically demanding job I have ever performed), and when I was 21 I decided to go lift weights with my ex-wifes little brother, who was a senior in high school, and the star quarter-back on the football team. Now, I figured since I was a lean and mean timber faller that these high school boys had nothing on me...man was I WRONG! They made me feel like a sissy boy! I definitely had the endurance, but they were lifting way heavier weight than me, and that bugged me, so that is what inspired me to start lifting. Another wake up call was when I decided to play semi-pro football...those guys were strong and tough and muscular and most of them got that way primarily by a strict regimen of weight training, although there are a small percentage of naturally freakishly strong guys out there. I am pretty sure there weren't too many lean and tough farm boys that could have taken them out. I also noticed when I started lifting how imbalanced my body was. For example, my left ab muscles were way stronger and bigger than my right, which was from swinging an axe, either splitting firewood at home, or beating wedges at work. My right lat muscle is also much larger, which I can really see and tell when I am doing pull-ups. Right bicep, left tricep, traps, etc....all of this is from years of repetitious movements falling timber, and one reason why a lot of old timber fallers have so many joint problems...because they are imbalanced (although the main reason is probably because they get so banged up performing their job). I would challenge any hard core weight lifter, that does not have a physically demanding job, to come and do what you or I do, or have done (I also am a part time horse shoer), and I am sure they would really struggle, but I also challenge anyone who has never spent a day in the gym, but works like an animal, whether it be falling timber, climbing trees, shoeing horses, etc, to go to the gym with someone who is disciplined, and experienced in the weight room, and I bet, by the end of your session you would be crawling on your hands and knees, begging for mercy :) I mean no dis-respect to anybody who works like an animal at their job, because I am one of them, but I think that respect is deserved to disciplined individuals who work out like an animal in the weight room or gym.

I wasn't trying to portray myself as more educated or experienced, just in better shape.

How can you say you are in better shape? Obviously you are half his age making arrogant statements like that. I propose a competition...I got my money on the tree climbin, weight liftin, hardened Marine corps vet :buttkick: Kinda like on the movie "Heartbreak Ridge" when the much senior Gunny Highway takes out the hot-headed officer in the water pit...Yayeah!

Thats a very generalized and innacurate opinion. I use my bucket all the time, in urban areas and my prune jobs are to ISA standards, all cuts just outside the branch bark collar etc. We used it today on two prunes, I climbed two others and Talltreeclimber climbed 4. It definately has limitations but in certain situations can be a life saver. I used to climb 5 days a week. You won't be doing that your whole life, believe me. .... Mike

Generalizations are generally true. Buckets are great for turning trees into balls,squares or the ever popular flat top but do not produce quality prunes just quantity.. How many branches did you smash through to make those collar cuts.

Ill just chime in once again, and get back to what this thread was originally about, general fitness that would aid in tree work. Aside from the workouts and just working hard probably the most important and hardest portion of fitness is the nutrition/daily diet. I know that when you are super busy bustin yer a$$ that most, including me just grab the closest thing you can and lots of it. Eat lots of protein, good carbs and healthy fats. 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fats. Eat often every couple of hours, you will be amazed how much your energy will go up by leveling out your blood glucose levels and keeping a steady source of nutrients in you. Lastly , drink as much water as possible . I aim for a gallon a day.

Nice, I think a jack in the box breakfast bowl Is callin my name, haha. Fast food won't kill you as long as its not all you eat all the time.
time to go to work blah, I hate morning sometimes.

As soon as I start to feel sick I take echinacea and it has kept me out of colds and flu for about 8 years now. Once you get real sick I don't think it works so well though.

Yup...but add goldenseal to the mix.....(both) in tincture form is best....

I had accupunture treatment last week, and prolotherapy today, for my separated shoulder---class 3 separation. Sure hope it works...will be continuing both.....

the knee is getting better after last weeks minor surgery..

Felled about 15 smallish trees today..the crew did most of the hard work, well, and the chipper winch....

Have to work tomorrow, but work is slow...need to try to allow the shoulder to heal.

Hopefully, next season, when I'm 61, I'll be back to skiing all day with the young studs--- steep, deep, or 60 mph pin-your-ears-back cruisers......and carrying 30 lb of camera gear.

Last edited:
Yup...but add goldenseal to the mix.....both in tincture form is best....

I had accupunture treatment last week, and prolotherapy today, for my separated shoulder---class 3 separation. Sure hope it works...will be continuing both.....

the knee is getting better after last weeks minor surgery..

Felled about 15 smallish trees today..the crew did most of the hard work, well, and the chipper winch....

Have to work tomorrow, but work is slow...need to try to allow the shoulder to heal.

Hopefully, next season, when I'm 61, I'll be back to skiing all day with the young studs--- steep, deep, or 60 mph pin-your-ears-back cruisers......and carrying 30 lb of camera gear.

Get better soon Roger.

Back