Fleebay 357xp.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just got done putting it together and I think it turned out very well. Unfortunately it is a little late so I could not fire it up. :frown:

Then I compression checked it. Wow.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So... How does it run???

Oh yeah. I got to start it last night. Started up on the fourth or fifth pull. It was bogging down when I hit the trigger but that was because the chain break was on. :msp_sneaky: The saw idles great and has a very snappy throttle response. Stopped and started it back up a few times, no problems. I tuned the saw to 13600 and it was four stroking nicely. Oiler was working good, clutch springs were good and tight. It was running for a good 15-20 minutes with zero problems. Check out the chain and it needed some attention. So I got the chain good and sharp and to test it I decided to ram my thumb right into a cutter. :bang: SOB that hurt. Literally blood, seat and tears went into that saw. Now I am trying to get some wood to my house so I can get a video.

:rock:

I'll be damned. I've heard of the method, but always thought it was just more creative redneckery in the absence of the right tool for the job. May have to give it a try the next time I'm faced with the situation.

So how do you tighten it, then? I'll guess a couple blips of the throttle with the chain brake engaged?

Only by hand - but be careful to not suddenly let go of the trigger at WOT out of wood right afterwards.

I don't know the theory here, but my current dealer has been doing it the same way for a couple of decades, and never had any issue resulting from it. :msp_smile:

You likely won't find this method in any manual though, so I guess you could say it is a little "rednecky"....

Last edited:
After the saw ran for about a half hour, I let it cool and compression checked. Still no wood. Mark my words, next house will have some woods next to it so I can have plenty to cut on. I hate not having anything to cut. :mad:

attachment.php

Well I cut some small stuff at my folks house the other day and it did not go to well. The saw starts and idles fine. It seemed like it was running a bit on the lean side. So I checked it, 14300. Ok a little high. So I start to fatten it up. Now it seems like it is dropping in rpm at wot then will go back up. The rpms are not spiking over the carb setting but they just quickly go down then up then down like it is surging. I am thinking ignition. I was thinking air leak but the rpms were not going past the carb setting. I never saw anything over 14k on the tach.

:mad2:

I'd try to 'fatten' the hi side a little more. Might not help, but wouldn't cost anything.

Last edited:
Kinda sounds like a search for an air leak, then. But what do I know? Nothing.

Good Luck.

Keep us posted.

Nevermind.........................

Pulled the carb and instantly saw the problem. Kinked impulse line. I used some stihl fuel line and it was not kinked when I put it on. I guess running it may have heated it up a bit and caused it to kink. It ran good, then ran like ****. I used some different thicker walled fuel line so it does not kink again. Now all is good......again.

attachment.php

Back