Found in Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbmatt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last year I was splitting some firewood and something caught my eye. It was a bullet embedded in the tree. It was not a rifle round but it looked like a .38 or so. The tree was from the northern NJ suburbs. That brings me to my question... What is the most interesting thing you have found embedded in your firewood?

while milling an old oak tree off a farm i found an old tobacoo tin that someone had put in the crotch of it many years before. to bad i found it with the chain and destroyed it

Sand, rocks, nails, wire, rebar, bullets, none of it very interesting. Most of it really hard on a freshly sharpened chain. :msp_angry:

Found this in a Cedar tree

DSC_5314a.jpg

About 8" long with 1/4" square shaft nail

Also this year I hit a bullet; fencing staples and a piece of fencing

None of those did the chain any good

A freaking rock, about 4 inches long! Pulled up roots on a blowdown, bark had grown over and around it.

Besiders that, what the other guys said, the usual, old bullets, fenceline, nails. You know to look at fenceline trees, but hitting a bullet in a "wild" woods tree just *sucks*.

Saw a tricycle before, tree growing through it a little but could still see it so didn't cut it.

100 years from now I wouldn't want to be the cutter clearing the woods or logging at the top of the hill here. That's the old farm junk graveyard. I know the trees have been cleared around it three times so far, I did it the last time, now there's 10-15 foot trees growing up under around and through the stuff again. Sigh: that's always one of my winter projects, go in and try to cut saplings out with a little saw around all that crap..... There's junk up there can't even tell ya what it is....

I missed hitting a huge all steel trailer by six inches once with the boom mower here. I was cutting an old field edge and would pick up the boom, lower it down over the saplings and brush. Saw a glint at the last second. dragged out a 20 foot home made steel trailer that had two telephone poles on it after a little hand clearing around it. I use it now to stack up heavy gauge corral panels and old gates, etc.

I did kill a rotary mower hitting an old steel pipe sticking out of the ground hidden in the grass the first year I hayed here.....boss was not amused, but hey, he didn't give me a minefield map either!

Last edited:
hand full of marbles grown into a crotch. made a mess of the chain.a few nice ones didnt get trashed.

A dog chain, horseshoe, rocks, old maple sap spouts, fencing staples and barbed wire. The tree that the dog chain was in was about 8" around at the time that the chain was wrapped around it. It was over 3' when cut down and luckily I found it with the splitter, not the saw.

splitting some maple i took down, found an aluminum horse shoe.

unfortunately the splitter destroyed it.

A star picket up the guts of an apricot tree long past it's prime.

Got some funny comments on cutting it out as I went with an angle grinder :laugh: as it was on one side of the trunk and just the top was out in the air.

I basically just kept chopping down the trunk then used a bowsaw by hand to get close then chipped away with an old tomahawk then got the grinder in etc.

Slow and steady got it down to a stump with no chain damage.

barbwire, saw it going in one side and out the other. If I was smart I woulda cut below it, instead I cut a bout 8 inches above it and destroyed the chain!

All the usual suspects. I did once recover a broad head grown in the spine of a three to four year old deer I shot. I do wish I still had that vertebra. Saw that it had a noticeable limp but it could still run pretty good, just not fast enough :) The aluminum shaft was still sticking out of the hide. The other side had grown over the tip and blades.

Oh yea. While chunking down a dead red oak I started to find yellow jacket bees and boy are they fun thirty feet up. Then the black ants came out to party and run up my flip line. After that I hit some nice fresh dirt at about twelve feet up. Then the lawn grubs along with earth worms made there appearance. After that now back into some funky rotten wood only to find a squirrel all PO staring at me with her four babies still blind laying in the hollow. She was quite pissed as I moved them over to the fence line and she carted them off while screaming at me the whole time. Everything in that tree but metal!

Last edited:
All the usual suspects. I did once recover a broad head grown in the spine of a three to four year old deer I shot. I do wish I still had that vertebra. Saw that it had a noticeable limp but it could still run pretty good, just not fast enough :) The aluminum shaft was still sticking out of the hide. The other side had grown over the tip and blades.

Oh yea. While chunking down a dead red oak I started to find yellow jacket bees and boy are they fun thirty feet up. Then the black ants came out to party and run up my flip line. After that I hit some nice fresh dirt at about twelve feet up. Then the lawn grubs along with earth worms made there appearance. After that now back into some funky rotten wood only to find a squirrel all PO staring at me with her four babies still blind laying in the hollow. She was quite pissed as I moved them over to the fence line and she carted them off while screaming at me the whole time. Everything in that tree but metal!

That reminds me, I did find a nest of flying squirrels this summer. The mother wasn't too happy, but she moved them ok.

Latest posts

Back