Found in Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this was just on the 36 alaskan. i had just used it earlier in the week on the 56 and she ran fine. worst part was it was only pulling like 12 inches of fir on her when she just let go.

Oh yeah, I got about the same set-up. Dang! Sounds like it was pulling good!

yeah it was smoking it cause i didnt have the 10degree chain i had a brand spanking new stihl rsc chain on it still at 30 so i was pullin a foot every 20 seconds it seemed. probly more like 45 but see seemed to be flying. maybe it was my port job i did on her when i rebuilt it. it was its first real pull on the new top end today so mid day rings must have finally set. before i get people jumping down my throat yes i did run a few gallons "bucking" with it before throwing her to the mill. let me tell you, if you want to be a man try bucking a few with an 090

When I was growing up my dad ran a small tree service and I was aleays there helping. I saw him hit several things, the typical nails and barb wire but also seen him hit an old cast iron clothing iron about 30 foot up in the crotch of a humongous cottonwood in an old farm yard. Also saw him hit a glass bottle, that did the chain no good. Just recently I was talking to him on the phone and he said he just hit a very large brass nail in a tree, said it was the biggest brass nail he had ever seen. Me myself I have only hit nails and wire. Although one time I had just put on a new chain on a saw and went over to the wood pile to cut and I was standing next to the log splitter and I turned around and while turning the bar hit the I-beam of the splitter as the chain was spinning a bit. It didnt do much, took the edge off a few links. RRRRR!!

Well, this isn't firewood, but we cut some 2" thick rounds on the mill today and found these:

A buzzard, or maybe an eagle?

attachment.php

How about a bell?

attachment.php

Found this in some 36" diameter live oak I was bucking up this weekend killed two chains on on my buddies 2101 and one on my 7900.

2012-11-10_13-55-46_131.jpg

And this is what it does to a brand new stihl chain. :bang:

2012-11-04_18-08-45_263.jpg

Old insulators (ceramic/porcilein) with the lag on them are hell on bar chain. They are found in alot of "yard" trees around here. Were put there during the first days of rural electric/phone service because the tree happened to be "handy" and on it's way or near the house. Ask me how I know...

I got a big female salamander out of her nest inside a walnut tree. She put the clamp on my glove. She ripped some of my glove gettin' her loose.

Latest posts

Back