Found something cool in the barn today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motodeficient

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was walking past this every day for 3 years and never noticed it there buried under a pile of junk. Homelite ZIP Five. 50 years old, 18 lbs 5.6 HP. It seems to be complete, except for part of the muffler? It is not seized up which was surprising to me. I don't know much about engines really but piston and cylinder look ok? Seems to have compression. The oiler works. It seems like the Homelite ZIP is pretty common, but I haven't read much about the ZIP Five? I am going to try cleaning it up this weekend and see if a friend and I can get it to start.

Does anyone have the muffler piece that is missing that I could buy? From my research its really just a deflector with a spark screen. I guess I could just put some screen over the opening.

101_5337.jpg

101_5338.jpg

101_5339.jpg

101_5340.jpg

101_5341.jpg

101_5358.jpg

101_5365.jpg

Last edited:
Nice barn find,
There were a lot of those
zips made but not sure about
the Zip 5 but all the Zip mufflers
should all be the same so you should
be able to find a good used part.

Good luck with it.

Lee

Homelite ZIP 5, my uncles ran them and we ran Pioneer 600`s. The Homelite zip 5 was from around 1962 , it should have a 52 mm bore and are 82 cc engine. I have the 663 from 1962 , its 92 cc with a 55.5 mm bore.
Pioneerguy600

Whats the best way to clean the grease and grime off without hurting the paint? Will carb cleaner hurt the paint?

Not much to the "muffler", just an extension to hold a coarse screen. I would clamp a piece of heavy screen over the opening just to keep junk from getting in. It also greatly enhances the appearance of the saw, makes the paint look cleaner and brighter too!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Whats the best way to clean the grease and grime off without hurting the paint? Will carb cleaner hurt the paint?

You might try a mild detergent or maybe WD40, let it soak and follow with a soft brush. You'll probably wind up removing some. Carb cleaner may dissolve it. Brake Klean may damage some plastic parts.

yes carb cleaner will damage paint and stickers try something milder minral spirits stodderd solvent simple green,I'm sure you will get more help but don't use any thing to harsh , cool find:rockn:

The Stihl all purpose cleaner-degreaser is awesome for cleaning anything! I have had very good luckwith it. It works great for cleaning the burnt looking grime on the bars too. The dealers wife told me that she even uses it on her counter tops and stove. Give it a shot and you'll be pleased.;)

The Stihl all purpose cleaner-degreaser is awesome for cleaning anything! I have had very good luckwith it. It works great for cleaning the burnt looking grime on the bars too. The dealers wife told me that she even uses it on her counter tops and stove. Give it a shot and you'll be pleased.;)

I heard Brad Snelling uses it to clean his dishwasher.

One of the best cheap cleaners

It comes from the stores called Dollar Tree, dollar General, You know the stores where most everything cost a dollar.
Called "Totally Awesome" It is totally awesome too. it will cut grease and oil stains from most anything.

Thats a cool saw. Think about your Grandpappy running that thing in his wool coat/pants with that ol Dodge Power Wagon or mule team waiting for the logs,... brings you back,..

I don't know if I can rewind the pull rope on this, but it doesn't start to turn the engine over until its almost all the way out. It only turns it over once before its at the end of the rope.

Wiz parts

Hi

I have alot of wiz parts of a saw i disassembled awhile back carb, screws, levers etc.... If you'd like i can send pics i am in Nova Scotia Canada so Maine isn't too far away and customs i believe don't apply to anything under 50 bucks Someone may know more about that.

Great find! Glad you posted pics. I've used a little wd-40 soaked on a rag to get the outer layer of grim off old saws. A little time and patientce, and you'll be amazed what shows up underneath. An old tooth brush works wonders in the small hard to reach areas.

Latest posts

Back