Four stroke chainsaws on the way ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If 4-stroke chainsaw's ever become prevalent. I'll still run my 2-strokes....because I LOVE the smell of them!! Ya....i'm nuts:greenchainsaw:

Noise would be deafening, they really dont vibrate THAT much. They were about the same as a 2 stroke engine.

Btw a YFZ is made by Yamaha ;)

Lol, yea LTZ is what I meant. I think anyways, I know it was a zuke 450...only rode it a few times.

Banshee was mean as heck, but could'nt keep traction in the field we we're riding them in. Waayy too much low end grunt with those wicked powerbands.

Last edited:
Thats cause you dont know how to control it, thats why we have quadtards at just about every moto event.

Really.. So that means banshee67 is a quadtard? Come on man was it really necessary to say that. Now back to the conversation about the future of 4 stroke chainsaws.:buttkick:

If 4-stroke chainsaw's ever become prevalent. I'll still run my 2-strokes....because I LOVE the smell of them!! Ya....i'm nuts:greenchainsaw:

Did you ever race enduros/motocross? That's why i love the smell of burning premix, especially in the morning. It brings me back to when I used to race enduros and would be waiting in my row for my minute to come up, I can still remember the butterflies!:)

Yes you can, 125 can ride with the 250 4 strokes. 250 2 strokes run with the 450 4 strokes.

Now, THIS engine should be in a chainsaw...
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qqp99nIjbWw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qqp99nIjbWw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The pro`s & con`s of 2 stroke V 4 stroke in the above quote seems IMO to have rules favouring the 4 stroke, why not have the cubic capacity equal, ie. 125 v 125, 250 v 250, not twice or almost twice the motor size. It would make for a more ligitimate comparison if motor size was equal. Be interesting to see 800cc & 600cc 2 strokes in moto gp & gp 2. It took the 990cc gp bike a while to better the lap records of the 500cc 2 stroke gp bikes, again almost twice motor size

Its all about the rider as well, unless its a straight line drag.

4 strokes are simply better! They could always put a 4 stroke rc airplane engine in the chainsaws as well. They rev to the moon and just because its a 4 stroke doesnt mean it needs motor oil. They would run on glow fuel...

This would look sick hanging off a stihl haha
SAIE072-2.jpg

That Saito .72 will only turn about 11,000-11,500 in the air due to valve float. A similar size Super Tigre, OS, or Rossi 2 cycle will turn around 16,000 in the air. I have over half a dozen of the hybrid R/C 4 strokes similar to that one. You still mix the oil in with the fuel (methanol and nitro for the R/C engines) just like a two stroke - except you have to use a different percentage of oil. They also don't use a 50:1 oil, more like 12%-15% Klotz KL-200. I don't think you would want to run a chainsaw on glow fuel, instead of $5 a gallon for gasoline/oil, you would be looking at over $20 a gallon for %15 glow fuel. Glow plugs are anywhere from $3.50 - $80 each these days. For a chainsaw, you would need at least 6 spares. And then you need a battery for starting, along with a spare.

A Stihl rep told me that Stihl had already made a 4 stoke chainsaw and they had no plans on producing one. They just couldn't compete with the RPM of the 2 stroke.

Fog

Although early to mid in the last decade 4 strokes mx bikes really started to take over with the addition of the electric start and smooth easy to roll on power up a snotty hill the major euro brands are still putting alot of time and effort into getting excellent 2 bangers on the competative market.
Honda made a bold move to stop making the 2 smoker about 3or 4 years ago but they are not fading away, alot of guys I know are changing back from 4 strokes as weight, extra CC for the same hp and $$$$ are all out weighed out.

In saying all that its similar to a saw, weight , cost and size are all on the 2 strokes side. The saw needs a strong band to power through and I really believe the 4 stroke will struggle, hell 6kg saw is heavy enough!

My little Honda GX31 FG100a 4 stroke Tiller has a pressure lube system using a reed valve and the piston bottom supplies the pressure, very clever. The pushrods are super light weight and forged steel rocker arms. Revs to 9,000 rpm. I like it on the tiller, but 2 stokes are my favorite, never giving them up.

Thats cause you dont know how to control it, thats why we have quadtards at just about every moto event.

thats quite a clever deduction you have made sir

now lets see you throw a 400lb quad around the trails all day and tell me how easy it is, "bike tard"

riding a 2 wheeler alone does not give you bragging rights over someone who rides a quad, there are riders and there are riders, most people on dirtbikes are a hazard to themselves and the people around them, but in their minds they are cooler because they are on 2 wheels and none of us "quadtards" can handle 2 wheels.
bet you ride an xr200:cry:

Last edited:
The pro`s & con`s of 2 stroke V 4 stroke in the above quote seems IMO to have rules favouring the 4 stroke, why not have the cubic capacity equal, ie. 125 v 125, 250 v 250, not twice or almost twice the motor size. It would make for a more ligitimate comparison if motor size was equal. Be interesting to see 800cc & 600cc 2 strokes in moto gp & gp 2. It took the 990cc gp bike a while to better the lap records of the 500cc 2 stroke gp bikes, again almost twice motor size

I really don't think anyone appreciates the size of that engine in the video... so here is one without the blower...

IMG_7546.JPG

Throw that on a saw and you'll make me a happy camper. Roughly 5.5 hp w/o a blower.

Last edited:
thats quite a clever deduction you have made sir

now lets see you throw a 400lb quad around the trails all day and tell me how easy it is, "bike tard"

riding a 2 wheeler alone does not give you bragging rights over someone who rides a quad, there are riders and there are riders, most people on dirtbikes are a hazard to themselves and the people around them, but in their minds they are cooler because they are on 2 wheels and none of us "quadtards" can handle 2 wheels.
bet you ride an xr200:cry:

I don't know about the guy you were replying to, but I ride a TTR-250 dirt bike... Dirt cheap, great woods bike, headlight, low maint. (air cooled), no radiators to break, electric start, etc... Is a dual sport bike in other countries, so really long oil change and valve adjustment intervals, and the 6-speed with a granny gear and a highway gear is really nice...

Anyway...

I think that came from riding at off-road parks and such. Yeah, there are some of everybody who is learning, and outrides their skill level, or just plain old messes up every once in a while. The real thing is; a quad doesn't take a base level of skill to operate like a dirt bike does, and is really easy to ride way above your skill level until it bites you and/or someone you hit, hard. Yeah, there's some of everybody at those places, but I've been almost run over more times by groups of sober and/or drunk morons on quads than people on dirt bikes. This is both when I'm on the quad, and when I'm on the bike, I consistantly almost get run over by quadtards. Not everybody that rides a quad is a "quadtard", but every quadtard is on a quad... It's the same way that not everybody on a sportbike is a squid, but almost all squids are on sportbikes (I've put 75k miles on my CBR1100XX in the last 4.5 years, so I've heard it all).

Mike

4-stroke is heavier and more complex by nature. Valve train vs piston porting? Fft. No 4 stroke made of currently-available materials will ever match the power-to-weight ratio of a 2-stroke, particularly under 100cc, where part size will limit durability.

8-9k try more like 13,500

Mate, if you are getting 13,500 in the cut you either have a hellishly quick hotsaw that would win any comp in NA or you have no cutters on your chain ;)

Stick a tach on a stock saw, any saw and sink it into some timber.
I'd hazard a guess that if you saw 10,000RPM you have a quick saw.

4-stroke is heavier and more complex by nature. Valve train vs piston porting? Fft. No 4 stroke made of currently-available materials will ever match the power-to-weight ratio of a 2-stroke, particularly under 100cc, where part size will limit durability.

True, but people still try, remember the KMS-4 Dolmar ?

There are modern equivalents too, although not quick by NA hotsaw standards, I like how this bloke in The Netherlands is thinking outside the square.
You could say a Wankel is a four stroke/two stroke, sorta kinda :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r_mCf7mCNw&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4r_mCf7mCNw&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back