Fresh 394xp build losing power in the cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my 394 did that the coil was going. Started, ran and revved fine, but was a dog in the cut.
I'm thinking along these lines too at this point.. even a bad spark plug (try the cheap stuff first right?)

The guy I got the 2100's from was a faller for years.. certainly not a mechanic *at all* though.

On a husky 480 project I had come through the shop once the fuel inlet elbow was cracked... it would surge and not get fuel, but wouldn't leak either.. finally found it by running it with the filter off and you could see it 'spit' fuel droplets out of the crack... if I wouldn't have seen that I'm sure I'd have had that carb apart 10 times.

That is a 1 16 drill bit that fits easily between the partition and intake block

Does anyone need more proof that this is upside down?

Does anyone need me to prove that it does start like this?

I'm going to get a shower...let me know in 15 minutes otherwise I'm taking this apart

video is uploading. yes it runs, though not as well as yesterday AM... but its more than a fart.

i will roll the video as I take this apart and post results when I get them

how many times did you pull it before making the video? :laugh: i as well as many other i'm sure have been there. it takes alot of pulling to get it to even fart off a dry system without impulse if it even does. most will give up before it farts. you may have even gave it shot after shot of mix down the throat? either way, you did something to get it to pull fuel up that line with no impulse. not sure how but you may be magic. your a better man then me LOL

Reminds me of when I got the carb gasket on upside down. It didn't block the impulse port enough to keep the engine from starting but did keep it from going full throttle.

no magic, and no stuff down the carb. I have done that in the past, my last build I had a carb plunger ...needle? dunno what you call it, the rubber tip swelled and wouldn't pass fuel, only figure it out by putting gas down the carb and figuring that it was fuel delivery issue.

I have no reason to be a charleton on this one. and at this point, I think its rude to accuse me of such an act. I intend to sell this saw at the GTG ... why would I post something wrong with it other than the fact that something was REALLY wrong with it?

I pulled it as many times as you see on the vid to get it to do what it did.... no magic or funny business before the vid. it fires, repeatedly .... more than a fart. Now, on the other hand, it didn't run in this vid as well as it did yesterday AM, but I have no reason to make that up either.

I have more video of the fix that I will be uploading. It is one video, unedited and uncut, so you will have to bear with the slowness. I am splicing 3 vids together, but I will not be cutting anything out, these will be as "unedited" as I can make them. they were supposed to be only 2 vids, but my camera took the 2nd vid and made 2 out of it.. so now I have 3 that I have to splice together.

JMSSAWS... YOU are the man. Thank you SO much for the SPOT ON suggestion. Not discounting everyone else suggestions, but JMSSAWS had THE answer here. The caveat is that I have not stuck this in wood. Do I don't know what it will do when I do. I will do that first thing in the AM and report back.

I REALLY appreciate the support of this site as a whole, the response I got here is FANTASTIC and addressed a VERY difficult issue to diagnose when there were so many other rabbit holes to venture down.

LOL Matt. no offence man, i'm glad to see you here; i really am. for sure though, i can see that your OP was a bit stretched. i am amazed the thing fires after only 10 or so pulls though. i've had 2 series huskies never fire with a plugged impulse port. i suppose it is possible you got it to run and get high enough in RPM's that what gregg said took affect and it ran right on the high speed? very well could be. either way man, i'm not a guy who is not able to admit he was wrong which i was about how it didn't take 100 pulls to even fart. my doubts were correct though. no way you'd be cutting with that thing and no way the only problem was that it lost power in the cut. title of this thread should have been "394 starts but dies right away". a great thanks to jmssaws! you've taught us all a great thing today bro! i've never installed a intake upside down but if i ever do or run across one i got it in the back of my mind now. (i've never actually seen that even on saws other hacks worked on).

Ok... all good then :)

I can assure you, it ran better the other day, but I do have zero evidence to back that statement up, and I'm not about to turn the thing back to the upside down position again to test the theory.

JM's suggestion was so insane that it worked... AND ... what I like even better was that it took into account the fact that i'm not an idiot (most of the time) and have half a brain when I'm building saws. The right side up position of the block is NOT intuative AND ontop of that, all the other saws I've worked on are IMPOSSIBLE to screw up in THIS way. 350, 372, 385 ...

anyway, the suggestion gave me the benefit of the doubt, that I had checked everything else except something that wasn't obvious to anyone except a seasoned pro. I love it when all is well and everyone learns something.... THAT is what the board is about. ROCKIN GENTS! VERY WELL DONE THANK YOU!

I'm a hack for being right? There's not a single thing that would cause it to do that other than what it was. The choke pulls fuel enough to start one especially on a 90cc saw. Take the impulse line of any saw u got and it will start and run.

I'm a hack for being right? There's not a single thing that would cause it to do that other than what it was. The choke pulls fuel enough to start one especially on a 90cc saw. Take the impulse line of any saw u got and it will start and run.

never said you were a hack, hack is just a term of AS. were all hacks LOL. you learned from experience and told us so we will know when that happens. we are learning from Matts mistake. no beef with anyone. i thought this was a great thread.

Ok... all good then :)

I can assure you, it ran better the other day, but I do have zero evidence to back that statement up, and I'm not about to turn the thing back to the upside down position again to test the theory.

JM's suggestion was so insane that it worked... AND ... what I like even better was that it took into account the fact that i'm not an idiot (most of the time) and have half a brain when I'm building saws. The right side up position of the block is NOT intuative AND ontop of that, all the other saws I've worked on are IMPOSSIBLE to screw up in THIS way. 350, 372, 385 ...

anyway, the suggestion gave me the benefit of the doubt, that I had checked everything else except something that wasn't obvious to anyone except a seasoned pro. I love it when all is well and everyone learns something.... THAT is what the board is about. ROCKIN GENTS! VERY WELL DONE THANK YOU!

i've watched you vids man. even before this i would not have hesitated to buy a saw from you. you know alot more then alot of the hacks that have been here for years.

Back