frozen piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justcrankn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a frozen piston and I can't get the cylinder off. I tried pounding it out through the spark plug hole but it wouldn't budge. Any suggestions before I start cutting the cylinder apart?
I just installed a new piston and cylinder reusing one of the old wrist pin clips. The proper clip was launched into a wood pile. It ran for 20 sec. when the clip came out and wedged in the assembly. This is for a Husq 51.

I have a frozen piston and I can't get the cylinder off. I tried pounding it out through the spark plug hole but it wouldn't budge. Any suggestions before I start cutting the cylinder apart?
I just installed a new piston and cylinder reusing one of the old wrist pin clips. The proper clip was launched into a wood pile. It ran for 20 sec. when the clip came out and wedged in the assembly. This is for a Husq 51.

I had a 621 that wedged a piece of bearing inbetween the p/c. I had to use two pry bars(one on each side) to get the cylinder off. They were both toast, but at least I saved the crank. If you have something jammed in there that tight, I would bet that they are toast as well. Bummer.

You can always use an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel and split the sides of the cylinder... it's probably toast now anyway

Pour some ATF, Marvel Mystery Oil or any other solvent in the spark plug hole and let it sit overnight. Try again in the morning. Don't get too agressive or your liable to bend the connecting rod.

you can try putting penitrating oil in through the spark plug hole. then take a star tire wrench,(not sure which size fits) put it on the clutch side like your trying to take the clutch off. rock the star wrench back and forth. dont put too much pressure into it or you might bend or break something. sometimes this works what ever is stuck in there out. good luck.

snowdog

If the clip came out, the wrist pin might be lodged in one of the ports. I would slice the cylinder in half ( as already said) and stop beating on it.

Can you get any movement between the piston and cyl at all? If so, you may be able to turn the saw on its side and "tap" the side of the cylinder with the known good piston clip on a block of wood. Might kinetically get the wrist pin to move?

I would put the cylinder bolts back in so you don't stress the rod.

Latest posts

Back