Fuel type

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caotropheus

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings fellows

The more I use chainsaws, the less I know about them ! :dizzy: :confused:

Up until today I was pretty sure on what fuel to use in my chainsaws but not anymore. Relax, I am still using good old petrol, also known as gasoline on that side of the puddle. My question is on what type of petrol should I use? For years and up until now I used ordinary 96 octane leaded petrol, but since leaded fuel was removed from the market there are only 95 octane and 98 octane unleaded petrol available. My first chainsaw was a Stihl 009L and the dealer recommended me to use leaded petrol. Now, 10 years later I ask other dealer what fuel to use and he tells me " just unleaded fuel " ! "What :confused: ?! Up until today I used only leaded fuel in all my chainsaws !" I commented. Then he tells me "Leaded fuel can destroy your chainsaws' engines !"

Please fellows help me on this issue, what fuel shall I use for the chainsaws and what are the advantages and disadvantages for each type of petrol concerning leaded vs unleaded and higher vs lower octane rating.

Thanks

Running leaded fuel will not ruin a chainsaw as your dealer said, Leaded fuel was used to lubricate the valves in 4-cycle engines and raise octane.
Our engines are not usually of very high compression so the high octane fuels are not necessary unless the engines have been modified. Run either leaded or unleaded if you want, unleaded will foul plugs less than leaded

Last edited:
Back