Full Cord on an F-250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got you covered

I'm in the same camp as Steve. If I am going to buy a diesel, it is going to be a Sterling, Freightliner, etc... My dad just got a nice Sterling for $15,000 with ony 280,000 miles. I think it is an '07. He got a dump trailer to pull behind and uses the skid steer to fill it with wood. He brings home 3 loads on a good day and saves a TON of fuel compared to his Dodge 3500 hauling a comparatively tiny load.
I work by my self I go out and get a load of wood I get 8 miles to the gallon I load up 5 ton on the truck 3 ton on the trailer at the end of the day I am tired. I don't have to go out agin for a week cost about $20.00 for a short trip. But just one trip not a dozen. Thank for the info isaaccarison I love the looks of the old long nose autocars but my wife said no. I was going to buy a 1979 with 168000 thousand on it Was and old farm truck it sold for $8000.00 at the sale had new tires breaks and lower end the old fellow done that and past a way and his wife sold all the equipment let some body farm her farm. Long wheel base to. Would love to had it but the boss has the last word. Put a 20 foot roll back big hydraulic winch man been nice. Sounds like you folks real firewood people later

Info

Good deal you are comfortable with the trucks that you now drive..the whole point of the thread is that a certain guy doesn't think a ford f250 (disregard if u like another manufacturer) will hold a cord of wood in its box and I think not only will an f250 will hold it but I know an 78 f150 will hold it. I'm not saying other manufacturers can't do the same, but I'm just saying in my opinion I know my 78' ford f150 will.
My point was not what to haul I am full time firewood and pickup trucks didn't fill the bills. I moved up to what did. I was told I was breaking the law and what would I need with a big truck I bought truck and just haul a rank at a time and the bump hitch drug the ground. They give out quick so I move to what works I don't abus my equipment because it is my lively hood. Don't shut down when it gets warm I sell right on thru the summer months. I get calls I am having some guest over I need some pretty wood I want it in pokey dot paper I say 10 bundles at $7.00 a bundle I be there in a hour. Thank you later. I was told I would be out of business in less than 6 months it's nice to know it took 30 years to break my self.

First the F-250 with about 3/4 cord yes he did post a pic. If you look close you can see where the gas can is sitting at that should be filled with wood. Second the sides do not have wood stacked against them in the pic so I would venture to say about 3/4 cord.
attachment.php

Acutally, yes, the wood is stacked against the side rails. The top rail doesn't have anything stacked against it. There is room for one or two more pieces to stack on each side of each row. The gas can is sitting on the drivers side of the truck. That's why it looks a little low. I can normally get 3/4 cord on without the side rails. If I stack the wood level with the top of the middle rail, it measures 3/4 cord. If I stack it about 2" over the top of the top rail, it's a full cord. You can't see it, but in the picture, most of the wood is stacked even with the middle of the top rail. That little limb hides hides a lot of detail. I still had 6 or 8 pcs left to load on the back row when I took the picture. When it was done, it measured out at 112 cu ft subtracting for the wheel wells. It was my first load with a set of bed rails on. I decided to stop there to see how it drove on the 5 mile trip to the house. It drove fine, so the following weekend I came back and cut a full cord of white oak that had been dropped at the same time.

Oh, and a headache rack is on the list. I'm not concerned about what happens while I'm driving. The wood only has about 3" of travel to build up enough momentum to break the rear window, and only the top row is going to be able to move. If the truck stops fast enough for a piece of stacked firewood to slide forward fast enough to damage the window, then I've hit something significantly bigger than me and that firewood is the least of my problems. That's true whether I'm hauling half a cord, or a full cord. I'm more concerned about a piece taking a bad bounce when I throw it into the truck. That happens from time to time, and I don't like holding my breath when it does.

On my truck, a cord of green wood is about as far as I ever want to go. Like I originally said its real close to what my rear end is rated for. Maybe a little over, maybe a little under. Just depends on the type of wood, and the actual moisture content. However, a cord of seasoned wood is well under what I am rated for.

For those complaining about deisels, I wouldn't buy a new one either. Way too much $$, but that also goes for new trucks in general. Looks like next years base line F150 has a sticker of $38K. No way I'd spend that on a truck, and no way I'd take a shiny new $38K vehicle off the highway. My old truck cost me $4K, and had 170K on it when I got it in '09. I've put 30K on it, and it's getting about 2 mpg better milage than my '94 F150 I6 did at that milage. That off sets the extra fuel cost to make the cost of driving them equal. I need to start working on getting and filtering some WMO in order to cut my fuel bill. :)

Last edited:
Don't know if I'd want to try a full cord on my F250 w/o adding another set of leafsprings. Even at that, the thought of it sounds unsafe.

Don't know if I'd want to try a full cord on my F250 w/o adding another set of leafsprings. Even at that, the thought of it sounds unsafe.

===

The picture of my rig in Post #154 is a 97 PS 7.3, F250 HD, loaded it weighed 10240 the truck weights 6600+/-, as pictured trk & trl weighed 15700 lbs. The trk does have overloads on it and in that picture is hooked up to the trl with an equalizing hitch...handles it fine, trl does have brakes...

Yes your correct...but he truly believes in this thread that no one can get a cord of wood into anything less than a 3/4 ton 73-87 chevy truck. Eventhough the wood he has in his truck is probably well seasoned cottonwood, but ohh well.

Wow bcorradi, even when I agree with you and find a pic of a Ford with a full cord of wood on it you are still not happy. Yeah no one can get a cord of wood on anything other than a 3/4 ton 73-87 pickup, oh except if you would actually read what people put on here you would see that first my trailer and truck are half tons. Picture with trailer is short of cord and half of wood (Elm to be exact). I already said there was a pic of a dodge with close to a cord of wood...oh and the pic of the Ford with a cord of wood I provided...hmm. Stop whining because your ice cream is cold, I already agreed with you. Here is more proof of a Ford F-150 hauling a full cord of wood plus a little.
[video=youtube_share;ENtmpNCW17g]http://youtu.be/ENtmpNCW17g[/video]
Never mind that the frame, box and everything else was a total loss...ha ha ha:msp_tongue:
[video=youtube_share;TKMQjm7i2Jw]http://youtu.be/TKMQjm7i2Jw[/video]
Enough said, sorry couldn't help my little self. Figured if I was wrong agreeing I might as well go back to disagreeing lol.

Big_Al no you do not need it a full 4ft high, just level with the cab of the truck which is less than 4ft. If you took 67 inches x 8ft=44.7 cubic feet. Now if you took that times 3 ft high (roughly usual cab height) you get 134.1 cubic feet. Now when you subtract the wheel wells about 1'x11"x2'=1.84x2=3.68 cubic feet of loss so 134.1-3.68=130.32 cubic feet give or take. A full cord being 128 cubic feet you may be a little over or under, which is why I always throw extra in to make dang sure I give a full cord and then some.

Last edited:
===

The picture of my rig in Post #154 is a 97 PS 7.3, F250 HD, loaded it weighed 10240 the truck weights 6600+/-, as pictured trk & trl weighed 15700 lbs. The trk does have overloads on it and in that picture is hooked up to the trl with an equalizing hitch...handles it fine, trl does have brakes...

Sorry I couldn't remember and couldn't make out the badge. I suffer from CRS and sometimers disease. Score one for the F-250's:clap:

Ex - keep pushing your chevy propaganda. Like I said you and I both know that I can get a cord of wood in that 78' f150.

You may want to view this link to see what the real weight values are between seasoned and unseasoned wood for various species. Your basing everything off quantity not weight. Would a person that had a full cord of seasoned poplar in their truck be more impressive than a guy that had 3/4 of a cord of green white oak?

Hey your off topic...topic police issue this man a warning...lol. Nice load of lumber too bad it wasn't a pinto:msp_w00t:eek:r better yet a Taurus. I hated working on them.

I'm just a little off topic, but not way off. I checked snopes on that pic of the VW. That car at least made it out of the Home Depot parking lot with over 3000 lbs loaded on and in it. A cord of wood would weigh in somewhere close to that weight. So if a Jetta can haul that much weight then wouldn't a F-250 do a whole lot better? :hmm3grin2orange:

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/heating_cooling/firewood.html
7750 lbs for a cord of fresh cut locust. That would be why my Jeep didn't like pulling that load home on my trailer!!!!

Last edited:
Ex - keep pushing your chevy propaganda. Like I said you and I both know that I can get a cord of wood in that 78' f150.

You may want to view this link to see what the real weight values are between seasoned and unseasoned wood for various species. Your basing everything off quantity not weight. Would a person that had a full cord of seasoned poplar in their truck be more impressive than a guy that had 3/4 of a cord of green white oak?

Ok confused I prove you are right that a F-150 can haul a cord of wood yet you are still not satisfied. So whats it going to take to make you happy? Oh and you may want to use a wood that is on your provided chart to compare loads instead of one that is not listed. Cord of dry elm on your chart is 3150-2450 so lets say 2800 per cord. I had cord and half on trailer (which I do the same with the truck if I don't take the trailer). So 1.5x2800=4200lbs on a stock half ton not bad. Which means I was close to a full cord of green white oak on it in weight (4890lbs white oak green). So how do we make you happy? I agree your not happy, I disagree your not happy, do I need to straddle the fence? Cheer for both sides? What is it going to take. Oh and no propaganda just facts.

4seasons just having fun...I won't tell anyone what you did to your jetta at home depot..lol

Ok confused I prove you are right that a F-150 can haul a cord of wood yet you are still not satisfied. So whats it going to take to make you happy? Oh and you may want to use a wood that is on your provided chart to compare loads instead of one that is not listed. Cord of dry elm on your chart is 3150-2450 so lets say 2800 per cord. I had cord and half on trailer (which I do the same with the truck if I don't take the trailer). So 1.5x2800=4200lbs on a stock half ton not bad. Which means I was close to a full cord of green white oak on it in weight (4890lbs white oak green). So how do we make you happy? I agree your not happy, I disagree your not happy, do I need to straddle the fence? Cheer for both sides? What is it going to take. Oh and no propaganda just facts.

4seasons just having fun...I won't tell anyone what you did to your jetta at home depot..lol

Ok mine was green birch which is 4630 to 5960 per cord. So we'll just call it 5295# per cord . Say if my picture we call it .8 cords of wood...wouldn't that come out to 4236# on a 1/2 ton also?

Hey your off topic...topic police issue this man a warning...lol. Nice load of lumber too bad it wasn't a pinto:msp_w00t:eek:r better yet a Taurus. I hated working on them.

Just worked on one of my tauruses a couple of weeks ago and changed the waterpump, cam sensor, crank sensor, timing belt, plug well seals, timing belt tensioner, plugs, etc. I didn't find it that hard to work on.
View attachment 220787

View attachment 220788

I guess I should have been more specific, doing major work, not routine work is a pain compared to most other cars including other Fords. How many times you pull a ford Taurus tranny out? Anyway you just proved my point that you can't be happy no matter what anyone says your going to argue it. You further proved my point that 99% of Ford truck guys are the same. My Ford truck can do that but I'm not going to prove it. Mine will out-haul yours but I'm not going to prove it. Almost every one I meet is the same. Lot's of hot air without any intention of backing up their claims. Even if I was across the street you would say yeah mine can do that but I don't need to prove it. Guess its just too hard to get the Fords off the porch and into the yard to play. Maybe when they grow up some...maybe.

Guess it just depends on what kind of truck you are driving. If its a chevy/gmc no problem do it all the time. However if its a ford (ford knew they had a problem they circled it), I would not expect to haul too much. Half ton figure say as a toy taco, 3/4 ton same as s-10 chevy (maybe a little less on the ford), one ton you might get a full cord on a ford, maybe. Dodge don't plan on hauling anything unless you enjoy putting the weak sheet metal back together, the box will not handle it. Flat bed would be better, however you will be replacing parts in short order, rear end, u-joints, driveshafts, etc. Oh forgot to mention your going to need a kidney belt if your driving a dodge, worse ride than a lumber wagon. If you have a half ton chevy full cord no problem do it all the time, just need a good reliable rack.

LOL your the one that started off in this thread saying yours can do it no problem and noted that the other manufacturers couldn't do what your truck can.

Throughout this thread you have been spewing negativity against the other manufacturers except the one that you so happen to like.

I have owned every brand of American full size pickup except a cornbinder. I liked all of them and they all did what was asked of them. I prefer the older trucks, 73-87 chev, 75-79 Ford etc. My only issue with old chev was the shift linkage on the 3 on the tree, old dodges had saggy doors. I always had/have 3/4 tons trucks, I have not noticed any difference in load capacity or performance in day to day driving. All of them could handle a cord of wood. I'm not sure what it proves to have pics of your trucks/trailers stacked to the gills with wood, doesn't show its safe, or capable of moving the load down the road or up a hill. I have a hd half ton trailer made from a chev pu bed and it gets tippy with more than about 3l4 of a cord on it.
Almost all the 6.2 diesels are still on the road? I looked for one for a couple months and couldn't find one, even one not for sale. Started watching the local govt auction sites for an old 1028. No luck yet. Seems like most of the older chev went to the cash for clunker program. Now they are getting hard to find and the 70's fords in good shape are getting spendy.

Last edited:
===

Yeah, those overloads are working for sure. But over 2 1/2 ton riding on the bed like that is not safe to me. 3/4 Cord or there about, and I'm haulin'.:D

Back