Full Cord on an F-250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i may be a bit out of my element here but aren't ALL ford trucks f-series? so when comparing to chevy sales please remember that chevy makes (or made) the silverado, custom deluxe, cheyenne, etc. these sales figures i don't believe take this into account. just my opinion and yes i could be wrong...

You're wrong.

The model doesn't matter.

The make does matter -- and as the link to the list of best selling trucks notes, there have been years when the combined Chevy & GMC product line ups exceeding the Ford F-Series line-up.

You're wrong.

The make does matter -- and as the link to the list of best selling trucks notes, there have been years when the combined Chevy & GMC product line ups exceeding the Ford F-Series line-up.

i guess i'll have to go back and read again, but i thought for sure they counted the silverado only for chevy. now this claim that ford out sells chevy goes back 35 years, right. well 35 years ago i know chevy made more than just a silverado, maybe now a days they dont? anyway my point is they made several models of trucks ford makes only one. so i'm just trying to find out if they are actually being compared accurately. like a silverado vs f-series would not be fair comparrison, all chevy models vs f-series would be fair.

You are saying scrap yards their sell new trucks, and if you don't like the truck they have a return policy? Interesting lol. Also your idea that just because a truck is more common place means its a better truck is sadly flawed. First off Dodge and Ford neither one produce any vehicles for the military anymore, GM does.
P.S. how do you manage to keep your fords from spitting all their spark plugs out all the time?

You will have to explain that to me, as far as your scrap yard comment and english??? Around here if the truck won't cut it it gets shipped down the road. So by process of elimination the best one or least amount to operate money wise is the one that stays. All trucks have problems, the plug thing is no different than the injector problems the Dmax have or the transfercase issues the 3/4 and 1 ton GM's have. As you grow older hopefully you will realize that brand loyalty is a foolish thing young grasshopper. Oh and by the way no spark plug issues with my 7.3 but I have lost injectors with my Dmax, does that count. The throttle plates did gum up on my 7.3 once just before the muffler bearing fell out. CJ[/QUOTE]

Here is what you put "In the oilfield there is no brand loyalty, if it does not work it goes back to the scrap yard." Well if something was to go back to the scrap yard it would have had to start in the scrap yard, right? Brand loyalty to some extent but buy what lasts and gets the job done the best. Oh and yeah you wouldn't have any problems with spark plugs in a 7.3 diesel. So just questioning who actually makes that 7.3? Oh yes Navastar International does, and has provided Ford with all its stroking since 1983. I personally think the 7.3 was a great motor, minus the glow plug harness problems.

You're wrong.

Yes, combined sales totaling more then Ford F150. So if Chevy sells 500,000 1500 Silverados and Gmc sells 500,000 Sierras 1500's and Ford only sells 999,999 F150's that year does that mean GM gets too count both of there model line trucks as one?

And as of 1999 the F-series died. The Super Duty F250/F350/F450 etc is a completly diffrent animal from the F150. You see back about 16 years ago Ford trucks all looked the same, and 99 percent of there parts were interchangeable through out there F-series line.

But hey I like chevy too, I'm swapping a 6 lug 14bolt in place of a 8.8 pretty soon and relatives have had GM cars and trucks that went past 400k before. But that was before Dex-death and the on set of Chevys Honda like Vortec engines.

But the one truck that stands out in my mind is a 1973 F250 custom. T18 with a 390 that went over 400k while working construction and hauling wood. It was strung on a power pole once and flopped on it side.

so i read some more and this is what i have found. all these truck sales comparisons are ford f-series vs chevy silverado. what i want to see is ford f-series vs chevy c/k series. and if ford doesn't make a whole f-series anymore why does dennis leary say they do in the commercials?

Yes, combined sales totaling more then Ford F150. So if Chevy sells 500,000 1500 Silverados and Gmc sells 500,000 Sierras 1500's and Ford only sells 999,999 F150's that year does that mean GM gets too count both of there model line trucks as one?

well hell yeah! every truck ford makes is an f-series, not every truck gm makes is a silverado

Ex - You can twist the numbers all you want to get your desired result.

It appears the Bigfoot and Chevy marriage was short lived.

[video=youtube;NujJrgJD3tI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NujJrgJD3tI[/video]

You can come up with a snippet about the plugs, the bed bolts, etc., but It really makes not difference to me and I could do the same for other brands. I truly don't think you were actually considering a ford until you seen the bed bolt issues. In the end you would never consider a ford and I would never consider a chevy. I haven't had any major issues with stihl or ford so I continue to stick with them and you can pick whatever works best for you.

Please show me how this is twisting the numbers? I do believe I will leave that up to Ford as they seem to have a PHD in that area. Yes I was going to buy a F-450 2wd dually ext cab with a v-10 and manual trans for wood hauling. After doing what you fail to do, a thing called research, I found out it wasn't worth it even though the truck was cheap. Here is the list of 2009 truck sales. You can look them up for yourself and find I am telling the truth.

Top 10 Pickup Truck Sales in 2009

No. 1: Ford F-Series
413,625 -19.8% YTD
December 2009: 48,209
December 2008: 41,580

No. 2: Chevrolet Silverado
316,544 -31.9% YTD
December 2009: 33,301
December 2008: 33,340

No. 3: Dodge Ram
177,268 -28.0% YTD
December 2009: 12,014
December 2008: 16,618

No. 4: GMC Sierra
111,842 -33.6% YTD
December 2009: 12,144
December 2008: 12,980

No. 5: Toyota Tacoma
111,824 -22.7% YTD
December 2009: 9,497
December 2008: 8,691

No. 6: Toyota Tundra
79,385 -42.2% YTD
December 2009: 8,870
December 2008: 9,191

No. 7: Ford Ranger
55,600 -15.6% YTD
December 2009: 4,503
December 2008: 3,855

No. 8: Chevrolet Colorado
32,413 -40.4% YTD
December 2009: 1,799
December 2008: 4,447

No. 9: Nissan Frontier
28,415 -36.9% YTD
December 2009: 2,988
December 2008: 1,402

No. 10: Nissan Titan
19,042 -44.1% YTD
December 2009: 2,148
December 2008: 2,124

But the one truck that stands out in my mind is a 1973 F250 custom. T18 with a 390 that went over 400k while working construction and hauling wood. It was strung on a power pole once and flopped on it side.

If you like that era truck this guy has some pretty cool videos of his 79' mud truck.

[video=youtube;sVgLrywg8Ac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgLrywg8Ac&list=UUOmSvsl4KuBuxL9kewTIwwQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Ex - I'm not going to banter back and forth with you...there are more appropriate sites that a person can debate the whole ford vs chevy vs dodge.

Ex - I'm not going to banter back and forth with you...there are more appropriate sites that a person can debate the whole ford vs chevy vs dodge.

Try this saying, "Yeah I was wrong, and ford has not outsold GM trucks for the last 35 years" not that hard to admit you were mistaken. Just trying to keep things honest, sorry if I have offended you.

Never really realized...but I'd like to see Exaclibur take that load down the road at 60mph. Pickup box trailers are ok for hauling moderate weight, but I'd hate to see how that trails down the highway. I have a 5'x10' trailer I have loaded with a cord plus down the highway with green wood along with my box full, but I would hate to pull that contraption down the highway at highway speeds.

Excalibur - I believe we were talking about trucks in this thread...not drag cars, nascar, etc.

Your plug spitting doesn't have seemed to hurt sales...making it 35 years in a row of being the top truck seller.

December 2011 Top 10 Pickup Truck Sales - PickupTrucks.com News

that's true, but it does seem like you were pickin' a bit

that's true, but it does seem like you were pickin' a bit

Ya a couple times I've noticed on this forum that ford has been mentioned...and EX spews right up and talks about the plug splitting. Ya that does irratate me. For example in this thread...the topic at hand was if an F250 can haul a cord of wood...what does a motor splitting plugs have anything to do with it?

In the oilfield there is no brand loyalty, if it does not work it goes back to the scrap yard. Fords out number GM 2 to 1 here in Michigan. Heck Dodge is actually making a comeback and I would rather outfit a new Dodge than a GM anyday. CJ

Brad, i think EX was responding to this when he mentioned ford spewing plugs. i mean if i told you in a round about way that chevy was better because ford couldn't reliably get the job done and you knew of a flaw in chevy's motors you'd bring it up too i'd imagine.

IDK if EX has been ford bashing else where or not but RECENTLY in this thread at least it seems to me that he has presented some good info.

so i read some more and this is what i have found. all these truck sales comparisons are ford f-series vs chevy silverado. what i want to see is ford f-series vs chevy c/k series. and if ford doesn't make a whole f-series anymore why does dennis leary say they do in the commercials?

Cause thats what hes been paid too say.

The Ultimate Guide to US Pickup Truck Sales in 2010 - PickupTrucks.com News

Thats a decent break down too the sales numbers of 2010.

Gm (both chevy and GMC combined) out sold the F150 but Ford out sold them in the HD truck market.

all these truck sales comparisons are ford f-series vs chevy silverado. what i want to see is ford f-series vs chevy c/k series.

If you're going to get pedantic, the C/K Series ended with the 1998 model year, and the Silverado began in 1999 model year...with an overlap in the production during the transition as the 1/2 ton C/K were the first to be phased out and replaced by production of 1/2 ton Silverado.

So y'all can keep squabbling about what's accounted for where, or trust that the folks who compile these lists understand what a fullsize, 1/2 thru 1 ton, pickup truck is and are able to accurately total them up without worrying about whether one has a Custom Deluxe or XLT badge on the side or confusing medium duty trucks with the same name sequence with pickups.

A Ford half ton is a Ford half ton and it's counted that way. A GM half ton is either a Cheyy half ton or GMC half ton and they're counted under each make, so you have to add them together. Ford has outsold Chevy outright for 35+ years. They don't always outsell the two GM brands combined though. And these companies have been busting each others chops over it since before there was an internet.

Sum it all up

Yes, an F-250 can haul a full cord of wood

there... debate settled

whether or not its safe is up to the driver

Those of you who are blindly loyal to one brand are the same ones that are destined to become Vega and Pinto owners.

I'm a bowtie guy, alway have been, will continue to be till I get a bad one. It's worked for me so far, my wood hauler is about to turn 200K with a poor little 305 haulin it home.

The chance of me ever buying a diesel is slim and none, and slim already left. $.30-.40/gallon premium for fuel, huge costs for regular maintenance, a $7,000 premium to buy the dang thing, and gas motors that make 300+ HP make diesel totally irrelevant in a light truck.

If I need a diesel truck to haul something, it's gonna be a Navistar, Freightliner, KW, Volvo, Mack or Pete. Hell, you can even get a 4 door version of most all of them now if you want to be a super poser.

More tons of stuff have moved behind a 350 Chev, 351 Ford, or 360 Dodge than will likely ever be hauled behind the newer diesels. Sheer production numbers bear that out. Buy that big $50K diesel, I'll get what I need hauled with a $1,000 truck and laugh all the way to the bank.

You will have to explain that to me, as far as your scrap yard comment and english??? Around here if the truck won't cut it it gets shipped down the road. So by process of elimination the best one or least amount to operate money wise is the one that stays. All trucks have problems, the plug thing is no different than the injector problems the Dmax have or the transfercase issues the 3/4 and 1 ton GM's have. As you grow older hopefully you will realize that brand loyalty is a foolish thing young grasshopper. Oh and by the way no spark plug issues with my 7.3 but I have lost injectors with my Dmax, does that count. The throttle plates did gum up on my 7.3 once just before the muffler bearing fell out. CJ

Here is what you put "In the oilfield there is no brand loyalty, if it does not work it goes back to the scrap yard." Well if something was to go back to the scrap yard it would have had to start in the scrap yard, right? Brand loyalty to some extent but buy what lasts and gets the job done the best. Oh and yeah you wouldn't have any problems with spark plugs in a 7.3 diesel. So just questioning who actually makes that 7.3? Oh yes Navastar International does, and has provided Ford with all its stroking since 1983. I personally think the 7.3 was a great motor, minus the glow plug harness problems.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it is a good bet some if not alot of that vehicle was scrap at one time or another. Correct Navistar was the manufacturer of the 7.3 the ill fated 6.0 and the marginal 6.4. Ford makes the 6.7 and so far it has been a good engine. I have customers with 140k + on them with no failures. Mileage is fair not bad but not great. But at least they are making their own engines with no help from the government. GM cannot say that. Who makes their diesel engines for pickups? Isuzu and I for one am glad they did. I had to work on their ill fated attempts to build a diesel and it was not impressive. Even their joint effort with Detriot Diesel in the 90's was marginal at best. Oh and by the way it was not glow plug harness it was the injection harness on the 7.3 on the early models 99 in particular. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight son!!! AND like was stated a F250 will haul a cord of wood. CJ

Latest posts

Back