Funny

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herd8497

Cupcake stand Cookies
Reaction score
Was cooking last night and all a.m. For the 1st Ohio State game of the year. One of the 4 kids was here. Doorbell rang at 12:03. I pause the DVR and go to the door and motion him to the garage. It was a fellow who handed me a card. He owned a tree service. He asked about my red maple. I trimmed it last spring, but I know it's time is short. I told him I did my own tree work. He said, are you sure? I pointed to the 5 saws in the corner and then the 10 cord of oak and ash stacked behind the house. He was nice, but increasingly persistent. I said, how many trees,did you cut last week? He said 6. I told him about the 10 ash trees I had dropped and bucked. I think he got my point. I pointed him to a couple houses in the neighborhood and we ended on good terms.

No ill feelings on my end. I know he just wants some work. You guys ever come across a tree guy like that.

We talked 15 min. And I told him that he could come in if he wanted to watch the game and talk wood all day. He laughed and said his wife wouldn't like that

Why didn't he just ask if you needed labor, if hes that in need. I would rather have the job, but if I got really short on work the first thing I am doing is calling too see if anyone is super busy and needs another man.

If he's door knocking on a Saturday he's not a legit tree service. I'm sure he's got a ladder an old pawn shop Poulan and his only advertising Is on Craigslist. This time of year he should be pretty busy...

I agree sounds suspicious............every tree co around here is backed up for weeks with ash removal work

might have been checking your place out?

I've got a buddy who's a small business owner and is always looking to help out friends of his who own small businesses. He thinks I'm nuts for wanting to take down a few large ash trees near my house by myself, and that I should hire his friend who runs a saw for a living.

I'm sure this other guy knows what he's doing, but I heat with wood to save money. Not to spend all my savings dropping trees in my own yard.

"I agree sounds suspicious............every tree co around here is backed up for weeks with ash removal work

might have been checking your place out?"

I recognized his company name on the card and I know he cut ash trees for two neighbors up in the cul-de-sac last spring

:popcorn:
I've got a buddy who's a small business owner and is always looking to help out friends of his who own small businesses. He thinks I'm nuts for wanting to take down a few large ash trees near my house by myself, and that I should hire his friend who runs a saw for a living.

I'm sure this other guy knows what he's doing, but I heat with wood to save money. Not to spend all my savings dropping trees in my own yard.

I had an arborist look at it in the spring. He said he estimated it at almost 30 yrs. told me that 20-25 yrs. is their span. 4-5 others on my street and the street behind us in the same shape, if not worse. I trimmed as much of the dead out of it as I was comfortable doing from up in the tree (in May). I will likely drop it when the ground hardens this winter. Well the maple and 3 ash trees. They'll be tricky.

I had a guy stop by me, he said he seen the dead tree in my backyard and was doing work in the area. Only problem is I don't have any dead trees in my yard. Also the business name was "drop it cheap tree service" has gotta to be the worst business name ever. I'm sure they lose alot more business than they get with that name.

Maybe not you'd be surprised how many people hire hacks for dirt cheap instead of a reputable company just to save a few $$.

The neighbor behind me hired a company to drop a 22" DBH ash two years ago. He asked if I wanted the wood. It's about 4 feet from the property line. I said sure, but I would be glad to drop it for him for free. He said no worries, I could have the wood. Fast fwd. to this summer. I get home from golf league on a Wed. Night, pull in the driveway and see a guy across the yard in the neighbors tree. He is in a harness with an old Homelite. Turned out to be a 16" bar. I walk over to talk to the neighbors and watch for about 10 minutes. The neighbors go in because the mosquitoes were hitting hard. I tell my two boys to grab the 660 and 440 while I change clothes. I walk over with saws and talk to the head guy. He says that his 009 broke down and he had to borrow the neighbors Homelite to drop the tree......... Long story short........I dropped the tree and helped the "crew" load the brush in a 70 something long bed Chevy 1500. I got under a cord, but loved every minute of it. I told the neighbor he should have got money from those guys. He paid them $200.

That happens all the time....why pay us $1k to remove the tree,brush,and stump and then clean up so it looks like we were never there when they can pay Pablo,Jose,and Juan to do it for $200 and leave a mess.

These guys were American, but about the same. I feel for you man. Sad situation. I just burn firewood and enjoy cutting/splitting. It was a comical setup these guys had.

Latest posts

Back