Garbage picked a Stihl 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the insights. I'm definitely going to hold on to the original cylinder and I'll do what I can to get the clump of aluminum off the wall of it. Then I'll hone it and put it on the shelf.

I'm not really sure, but it looked like someone ran the saw without bar oil and overheated the bar and the saw itself. If I had taken a picture of the piston while the rings were still on it, There was aluminum covering the rings. As if they expanded too much and gouged the cylinder.

As for the intake boot, it basically looks brand new. The carb even looked like it had been gone through.
DON'T HONE IT. You will remove the plating in the cylinder. Just do emory cloth and elbow grease. If the galling didnt gouge through the plating then you can use Muriatic acid and a qtip and it will eat the aluminum and not the plating. BUT do it slow because IF there is a scratch through the plating you will make it deeper and ruin the jug...ask me how I learned that one. Nice grab btw.

If you've ever seen a Jonsereds or Husqvarna you've seen a Swedish saw. Nice collection of Saabs.....we've had a fair number too. The wife is currently driving an 08 9-5 and a project in waiting is my '68 95.......with 14,196 original miles.....

View attachment 604401 View attachment 604402 View attachment 604403 View attachment 604404

I really like the vintage saabs especially the 2 strokes...

That 9-5 is nice too.

We've had a couple of 9-5s and multiple ng900/og9-3s

DSC_0050_1.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

These cars are all gone now.

Do you frequent any of the SAAB forums? Saabcentral or saablink?

I should have a good amount of parts on hand come Monday/Tuesday. I'll post pictures when I can. I'm hoping to have it all back together before the following weekend.

Nice find!! You will like that saw when it is ready to go.
I would have tried to re-use the old P/C kit first as the quality (material and dimensions), even with some superficial damage, is way above the aftermarket stuff. If your piston starts to disintegrate at 11,000 rpm it will cause a lot of collateral damage :crazy:

Good luck with the re-build - they're a nice saw to use (got 4 of them :))

I really like the vintage saabs especially the 2 strokes...

That 9-5 is nice too.

We've had a couple of 9-5s and multiple ng900/og9-3s

DSC_0050_1.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

These cars are all gone now.

Do you frequent any of the SAAB forums? Saabcentral or saablink?

I lurk about on them but have not joined any. The 1968 95 is sweet......it spent all it's years on an island with only 14 miles of road, half of which is unpleasant to drive...hence the very low mileage. It needs to be completely taken apart and restored....on the list!! Very simple cars by todays standards. It is only the second year of the V4 so it still has the selectable free wheeling trans with the "4 on the tree" of the 3 cy two strokes. Not terribly powerful but cool as all get out!!!

Got the saw all back together today. Minor issue with the air cleaner cover not locking in place. I might have the wrong air filter on it.

It fired right up after a few pulls. I don't have a chain for the bar yet, so I can't really test it out. But I'm happy with it, especially with a saw salvaged from the garbage.

I'll try to get some pictures soon.

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

I went ahead and replaced most of the plastic pieces and the clutch cover. I also repainted the muffler and the handle. I just wanted to make it look as nice and shiny as possible.

The smaller Stihl belongs to my work.

I didn't think I put it on right. I just put it back the way it was when I took it off. Thanks for pointing it out.

The issue has been resolved.

It's not really a disease........it's more of a .......disorder....LOL!!

I'm obviously not a Stihl guy but have rebuilt a few 034 Supers.......I would have tried to clean your OEM cyl up.......the piston was toast but it looked like all you had was a bunch aluminum transfer.......if it would clean up with no fingernail hanging scratches you would be way ahead using that cyl and a new Meteor piston. Some far eastern P&C kits aren't bad but the less you spend the more hit or miss they become. Either way, the saw toasted for a reason....if you don't find the reason the new P&C will surely follow the old. I would replace both crank seals, the impulse line, fuel line and intake boot using all OEM parts to insure your new P&C will have the best chance of survival. If you clean and thoroughly inspect the boot and find it flexible and without any cracking or tearing that may be reused.......aftermarket rubber items and seals generally have a very short lifespan and all can/will cause engine failure if any of them fail.....worth the extra $$ to go OEM on those items. Good luck!!

Oh....if you do work on the old cyl don't use a hone......do a search on here "cleaning up aluminum transfer" I use brown scotch brite and acid myself.......takes some elbow grease and time....but doesn't alter the cyl plating..

+1 Great advice here

I didn't think I put it on right. I just put it back the way it was when I took it off. Thanks for pointing it out.

The issue has been resolved.

It looked all sad and droopy.. lol

But yours looks better than mine, what tank is it? Farmertec or oem

I have not checked for air leaks. How would I go about doing that on a 2 stroke? blocking off the intake and exhaust?

I put the old bar and chain on the saw today just for fun. I have an oil leak coming from where the pump seats against the pickup tube. It doesn't look like it is oiling enough, even turned all the way up. I'm going to try to grab a new pickup tube on my way home. As well as a new chain.

Thanks for all the input everyone. This is my new favorite forum. Chainsaws are much cheaper projects than cars.

blocking off the intake and exhaust?
Yes. You can just use an old bike inner tube cut in the shape of a gasket without the centre cut out. Then use the existing exhaust and carb to keep the rubber inner tube gasket tight against the ports.

Latest posts

Back