Gas Brush Cutter Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmcph

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I hope I have the right forum. I have about 3 acres of creek bottom I need to clear out. The area is choked with willows. they grow in large clumps and the largest are 2" in diameter. There are some small Birch trees as well that go to 3" in diameter.

I was looking at the Husky 555fx but I am clueless about what to get. I see the term "Brushcutter" and "Brushsaw" on the Husky website but really know the difference.

I run all Stihl saws but the dealer is not as good as the Husky dealer so I was leaning towards Husky. I am open to any brand though.

I don't mind spending money on tools and generally try to get the more powerful options within the class of the tool I am looking at.

I hope I have the right forum. I have about 3 acres of creek bottom I need to clear out. The area is choked with willows. they grow in large clumps and the largest are 2" in diameter. There are some small Birch trees as well that go to 3" in diameter.

I was looking at the Husky 555fx but I am clueless about what to get. I see the term "Brushcutter" and "Brushsaw" on the Husky website but really know the difference.

I run all Stihl saws but the dealer is not as good as the Husky dealer so I was leaning towards Husky. I am open to any brand though.

I don't mind spending money on tools and generally try to get the more powerful options within the class of the tool I am looking at.
would a brush mower be a better option?

Yeah given your site description id not be going with hand power tools 1st up. Id contract in a flail mower excavator whip it down then tackle the left over with your husky 555 brushcutter or similar

I have a 555FX and it is a beast. I wouldn't want to clear 3 acres (or even 1 acre) with it though...it is better for cutting some stuff and leaving others.

Best I can tell, it is really all alone in its class. There are other clearing saws, but nothing quite like it. 3" Birch will be no match for it. Keep the blade sharp!

The river bottom needs thinned, not completely cleared. Selective clearing. Additionally the ground is very convoluted making a flail mower etc not practical. I need help with a recommendation in the hand tool class.

If you can find an old 37cc craftsman brushcutter in good shape they are a beast!
A DR chipper walk behind will handle funky ground and selective work, blades or string is an option on them and self driven , a real workhorse with about 22" -30" cut , they'll pull you up a hill too.

I have a Stihl FS130 trimmer. I believe its about the biggest trimmer they offer before stepping up to the clearing saw class. It's approved to run a brush saw blade. I used it last winter to clear about an acre of small Sassafras trees (about 1-3" diameter). Did awesome. Keeping it sharp was the trick. I was able to clear it in a long weekend...

I have a Stihl FS130 trimmer. I believe its about the biggest trimmer they offer before stepping up to the clearing saw class. It's approved to run a brush saw blade. I used it last winter to clear about an acre of small Sassafras trees (about 1-3" diameter). Did awesome. Keeping it sharp was the trick. I was able to clear it in a long weekend...
Does that have a harness or handle bars? I wouldn't want to run a blade without. It only takes once to throw the thing and it gets ugly.

I've contacted baileys and husqy and about 15 other places and they all say that it will be a long while before they get any husqy brushcutter. I was looking at the 2 biggest models. Extended backorder. One said that machines they had ordered in January of this year were now showing delivery January of next year.

Just an FYI that might make your decision easier.

Latest posts

Back