Gas for Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Guy at the saw shop today told me to put stabilizer in my 93 octane gas. I said I use it quick enough that it doesn't matter. Said he still recommended it. He didn't sell it either so it wasn't self-serving advice...wonder why though?

Octane in unleaded gas drops fairly fast in small containers and in carbs. Though I never have a problem if I use the gas in less than a month or so. This time of year I like to run gas stabilizer to keep the carbs in the saws from getting fouled. Never know when I will wind up leaving the saws to sit longer than I think they will (the weather here this winter has been brutal). I also use Sta-Bil in my chipper (regular gas, no premix).

It can't hurt.

T1MB3RWOLF

T1MB3RWOLF

ArboristSite Lurker
hate ethanol

I will not run ethanol in my saws anymore, I blew the motor on 660 twice! Luckily one gas station in town still does`nt have the ethanol mix because their tanks are too old. Also I run 91 Octane and Stihl 50:1.

deer slayer

deer slayer

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks to AS I recently switched to the 100LL. re-tuned everything I run with it. I'm sure there is some long term effect, Don't get me wrong I don't want to be ignorant about it, but these days what doesn't have one. Man it smells good!!!

Plasmech

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks to AS I recently switched to the 100LL. re-tuned everything I run with it. I'm sure there is some long term effect, Don't get me wrong I don't want to be ignorant about it, but these days what doesn't have one. Man it smells good!!!

Why does it smell good? Does it not have the stench additive that gasoline has?

deer slayer

deer slayer

ArboristSite Operative
I'm no chemist, but to my knowledge no theres none of the additives that most gas companies add for pump gas. (for instance chevron w/techron). to my understanding the oil gets refined then the big oil companies add there mojo (ethanol and what ever else) to it and sell on the street.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Why does it smell good? Does it not have the stench additive that gasoline has?

Gasoline does not have a stench additive. Its stinks natually. Unlike say, natural gas which has no smell, so they add this stuff that smells like rotten eggs to it so you notice when there is a leak.

As said here again and again... it is the LEAD in the gas that makes it smell good. Lead smells and tastes sweet. That is why there is a big issue over old lead paint in houses; kids peel the stuff off the walls and eat it. Why? Becasue it tastes good! Same with the old leaded gasoline when I was a kid. It smelled good becasue of lead added to it. Smells sweet. Like AvGas and Racing fuel does today.

The Romans used lead to sweeten up crappy wine for drinking. They also used lead for tablewear and for plumbing, and the word for lead in Latin was 'plumb.' Hence we get the term plumbing and plumber. It was also a leading casue of illness and death in Roman times. They had no clue it was poisonous. We modern civilized advanced stipidos were on the road to making the same mistake in this culture until not too long ago. When I was in Boston I saw that there were still some lead pipes in use there. It is also in many modern houses that have copper pipes; lead was used in the solder for joining pipes together. It was used in paint until the 1960s. It was used in gas until recently as well.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Sadly the last gas station in the area that had pure gasoline is upgrading their storage tanks now, and they slapped on E-10 stickers on the pumps this weekend in preparation of flipping to E-10 gas. :cry:

I filled up the 5 gallon tanks with the last of the good premium unleaded 100% gasoline at Space Age this weekend, and I will run that as long as it lasts. Then I will have to find another old tank station that still has not flipped to E-10 yet. May not find any though, as March is supposed to be somedeadline here for E-10 gas in Oregon. :censored: E-10. What a midwest lobby farce that stuff is.

Ghillie

Ghillie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow... I kinda missed the "stench additive" comment. Kinda got fired up on "why does it smell good".

Windthrown, guess you caught me again with my hair bristling and head lowered. :)

BTW, the "stench" from natural gas is Mercaptin.

A 1/2 Teaspoon of the stuff in the center of town would lead to a mass evacuation!! They kep tight reins on it for that reason.

windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
Wow... I kinda missed the "stench additive" comment. Kinda got fired up on "why does it smell good".

Windthrown, guess you caught me again with my hair bristling and head lowered. :)

A 1/2 Teaspoon of the stuff in the center of town would lead to a mass evacuation!! They kep tight reins on it for that reason.

You are not Gibrodie! (or however you spell what the Hulk calls people when they are tossed out of the ring). Lead does make racing gasoline smell good.

BTW: MTBE made gas really smell weird and bad when they had that stuff in California for several years. Talk about a disaster in the making though.

Mercaptin eh? Talk about a bad smell... but for a really good reason.

Plasmech

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite

Yea I knew it was Mercaptin but figured I'd get flamed for acting like a know-it-all if I posted that. Plus "stench" is the true lingo for it believe it or not.

Ghillie

Ghillie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yea I knew it was Mercaptin but figured I'd get flamed for acting like a know-it-all if I posted that. Plus "stench" is the true lingo for it believe it or not.

The quotes don't mean I don't believe you. :)

And I understand not wanting to draw attention to the target already on you. You've been up and down since first signing up with an alternative spelling of someone elses username.

It's all good.

Ghillie

Ghillie

Addicted to ArboristSite
You are not Gibrodie! (or however you spell what the Hulk calls people when they are tossed out of the ring). Lead does make racing gasoline smell good.

BTW: MTBE made gas really smell weird and bad when they had that stuff in California for several years. Talk about a disaster in the making though.

Mercaptin eh? Talk about a bad smell... but for a really good reason.

LOL... I did not have you pegged as a WWF fan. And yea it does smell good. And ethylene glycol tastes sweet too.....no wonder I have brain damage!

Plasmech

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
The quotes don't mean I don't believe you. :)

And I understand not wanting to draw attention to the target already on you. You've been up and down since first signing up with an alternative spelling of someone elses username.

It's all good.

I can honestly say I have no idea what anything in your reply means man! All good though, as you say.