Gas mixture?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jughead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Stihl Farm Boss and was browsing thru the manual. Normally I wouldn't give it a second thought, but I notice they recommend using 89 octane fuel. I usually run 87 in all my outdoor engines.

Will it matter if I use 87?

Jughead said:
Just bought a Stihl Farm Boss and was browsing thru the manual. Normally I wouldn't give it a second thought, but I notice they recommend using 89 octane fuel. I usually run 87 in all my outdoor engines.

I run 93 octane in my saws. I dont think 87 will hurt it but i could be wrong.

Jughead said:

Nope. Theroy is higher the octane the cooler the engine runs. How anyone is going to tell 87 from 89 is gonna be a venture indeed. I use 87 all the time but our old rep recomended 93. So far I've yet to score a piston or have any trouble what so ever using 87...

THALL10326 said:
Nope. Theroy is higher the octane the cooler the engine runs. How anyone is going to tell 87 from 89 is gonna be a venture indeed. I use 87 all the time but our old rep recomended 93. So far I've yet to score a piston or have any trouble what so ever using 87...

Thall as many saws as you have im sure 87 is all you can afford to fill them up.hahaha:laugh:

lovetheoutdoors said:
Thall as many saws as you have im sure 87 is all you can afford to fill them up.hahaha:laugh:

hahaha, what you talking about man, I only got a few. Have you seen Gypo's collection????????

Strange you would say you use 87 octane there Thall. The linch mob will be coming after you now. Before they do. I have a confession to make.

I run chainsaws on 87 octane too.

THALL10326 said:
hahaha, what you talking about man, I only got a few. Have you seen Gypo's collection????????

Yep i seen Gypos collection, boy i would just like to browse around that place, rectoo has more parts saws than anyone i have seen though.

manual said:
Strange you would say you use 87 octane there Thall. The linch mob will be coming after you now. Before they do. I have a confession to make.

I run chainsaws on 87 octane too.

Heck I know most use 93 in their saws and thats fine, probly the best way to go. I'm not into racing or worried about that split second or a tad more heat. I'm not saying do as I do, I'm just saying I never had a problem using 87. Some may have but so far I haven't so I'm not too concerned about octane long as the saw runs ok I'm fine with it.

lovetheoutdoors said:
Yep i seen Gypos collection, boy i would just like to browse around that place, rectoo has more parts saws than anyone i have seen though.
He said everyone was welcome to come visit. I too would love to browse his shop but knowing me I'd be begging him for one of those Contra's and he'd probly run me out the building,lol

Jughead said:

Unless you're doing heavy cutting, 87 probably won't hurt but I would go with what the manufacturer calls for - especially with the lean oil ratios today.
89 just burns a little slower and shouldn't hurt engines that call for 87. As hot and hard as most saws run, 93 can't hurt. You're spending about 10% more per gallon and getting a lot of protection.

buzz sawyer said:
Unless you're doing heavy cutting, 87 probably won't hurt but I would go with what the manufacturer calls for - especially with the lean oil ratios today.
89 just burns a little slower and shouldn't hurt engines that call for 87. As hot and hard as most saws run, 93 can't hurt. You're spending about 10% more per gallon and getting a lot of protection.

I'll Agree with that,
I should have also added that when I am bucking firewood all day I like to get the good stuff. I don't know maybe its just me. I also find myself adjusting the carb a little when I switch octanes.

spacemule said:
Hello, my name is spacemule and I run low octane fuels.

Hello , your name is Spacemule and you run low octane fuel, okkkkkkkkkkkk,lololol, Space you crazy man,lololol

THALL10326 said:
Hello , your name is Spacemule and you run low octane fuel, okkkkkkkkkkkk,lololol, Space you crazy man,lololol
Hey, don't laugh--I can stop any time I want. Got a beer?

spacemule said:
Hey, don't laugh--I can stop any time I want. Got a beer?

lol, you crack me up man. How are you and your pic enemy been getting along? How long have you two been going at it now? You two post some funny pics................

The manual for my father's Farmboss states, "Only use regular low octane gasoline Never use high octane fuel as it contains benzol which will permanently damage the carburetor diaphragm" Page 4, left hand column, second paragraph,real Farmboss. What's changed that requires you to use high octane now?

Hello, my name is spacemule and I run low octane fuels.

I was told by someone who has studied it that the octane level someone uses is directly proportional to their intellegence.

I've always used regular gas. Until I bought my 036 Pro a few yr. ago. The Stihl dealer asked me what I used and told me to only use the medium oct. gas from now on. Hmmm. I had never had any trouble, but I figured what the heck and switched. Altitude might be a factor...I live and cut at 8500 ft. Thereabouts. Someone smarter than me will have to tell us whether that makes a difference. I've been told that the higher the altitude the lower the octane you can safely use. Don't know what yours is there in Pa. and you'd need to speak with someone who really knows before you risk your saw.

SteveH said:
I've always used regular gas. Until I bought my 036 Pro a few yr. ago. The Stihl dealer asked me what I used and told me to only use the medium oct. gas from now on. Hmmm. I had never had any trouble, but I figured what the heck and switched. Altitude might be a factor...I live and cut at 8500 ft. Thereabouts. Someone smarter than me will have to tell us whether that makes a difference. I've been told that the higher the altitude the lower the octane you can safely use. Don't know what yours is there in Pa. and you'd need to speak with someone who really knows before you risk your saw.

At 8500 ft, you actually need less octane to control detonation/preignition than at lower elevation. I'm sure you could easily run 87 octane and not harm anything.

Back