Gas oil ratio on Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd run them at a 50:1 with MX2T oil.
Husky and Stihl brand oils are pretty good brands too.
I've looked at a saw that runs the MX2T at 50:1 in it, theres acutaly a film of oil on the piston and cylinder walls, so it must be providing ample lubrication for the moving parts inside the saw.

I think the book calls for 50:1. But I run mine at 40:1. The book on my car says change oil every 8000 miles too. Yeah right. Better safe than sorry...

I went with what my Husky owners manual suggested. 50:1. I run that ratio in all my two strokes.

Engine makers do not set the mix ratio.
The oils properties do.

Nor can a engine maker tell you what oil you must use w/o violating a federal warranty act.

The oils chemical & physical properties determine the ratio.

From a mix stand point if saw maker suggests using their name branded oil......

@ 50:1, then mix it at 50:1 maximum dilution ratio.
Can also do it @ 40:1, 32:1, etc, but you'll lose some of the advantages.

Conversely, if an oil is labeled 32:1, or 40:1, and it's mixed it at 50:1, you will have exceeded both the chemical, and physical properties, plus will induce engine damage,...not to mention blown the warranty.

Engine makers do not set the mix ratio.
This is simply a myth propagated by amsoil, opti and the rest of the scam oil crowd. The oil ratio for a two stroke is a function of engine design, rpm and load.

Nor can a engine maker tell you what oil you must use w/o violating a federal warranty act.
Sure they can. The oem can say you must use a certain spec oil at a certain ratio. What they can not say is you must use their brand oil. In other words ratio and oil spec does matter, but brand does not.

In regards to using a 50:1 oil at a lower ratio or the converse of using a 32:1 product at a higher ratio you will be fine either way mineral based tc, air cooled oils are just about identical regardless of suggested mix ratio. Thats why I chuckle everytime I hear somebody say that brand x's oil is formulated for todays higher ratio, higher heat engines. Its simply BS. Your run of the mill oem oil(stihl, husky) is very simular to a oem oil from the late seventies.

Originally posted by Saw Man

Can also do it @ 40:1, 32:1, etc, but you'll lose some of the advantages.
What are some of the advantages you would be losing? I can see running it at a 40:1 (if manufacturer calls for 50:1) to get more protection of the engine, which I do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the only way they could make you use a specific oil is if they provide it to you free of charge. same goes for air cleaners/spark plugs ect.....
B

Book saws to mix it 35:1 for saws over 80cc - and I got a 85cc saw, shall I still run it 45-50:1?

It is important to have your carb. fuel to air ratio correct for the fuel to oil ratio you select. The amount and type of oil you use will affect the relative cooling and burning characteristics of your fuel requiring a different adjustment. Running a too rich mixture (fuel / air) can contribute more to exhaust port / screen carbon buildup than a higher ratio of oil to gas. No matter what oil you choose I would be very leaary of using LESS than what the manual calls for!

Frank

I would be very interested to see the manual that lists 2 different ratios for different engine displacements. I tried to look at the manual on the Husqvarna site but it would not load.

Thought i'd rattle a few cereberal cages...........

Some of us have disagreed before on some of these issues, and I hope it's not just semantics so others can benefit from collective knowledge, as I agreed that there are myths, but I disagree that Amsoil, and Optimol (owned by Castrol) produce oils that don't work as....intended.

I'm not endorsing ultra lean ratios due to the lack of knowledge, training, and juts plain operator ignorance that's so prevelant.
But that's a whole different subject I'm not getting into.

Oil companies, will use the engine design perameters to determine what the additive package will contain. The oil can be formulated to be mixed at different ratios to meet what a engine maker wants to market, or needs to from an emission side.

There are many ratios that can work in engines, but the lubrication company is the orginator of the initial ratio test(s), and then will sign off on the mutually agreed oil package which engine maker agrees-decides to use.

Case in point: Homelite for years was 16:1. The they intro'd a 32:1. Years later they also brought out a 50:1 partly because the Germans, Swedes, and some Japanese engines were already at, or going to 50:1.
It was generally.....perceived.......that engines using higer ratios were better.
So, one could buy three oils from the same company that made oil for Homelite, and they all gave warranty coverage.

One company I worked for had they're own oil branded under a different name. It had a 32:1, and went to 40:1 by just increasing the Stoddard solvent which is used to enhance-improve dilution when mixing with gas.

Engine companies may specifically tell a buyer that they must use their own name brand oil.

Butt....that's dumb.

Butt, if they do so on what is loosely referred to as a 'maintenance item',.....they must give that oil FREE for the duration of the warranty peroid under The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Personally was responsible for "nailing" a company that in their owner's manuals specified only their oil for warranty. Sent their manuals to a few engine makers I know.

They helped speed up a reprinted-corrected version. You will find that Japanese company in Homely Despot stores, and dealers. Still am on a '$hit list for that one.

My Honey Do is calling....so, till later.......

HAPPY JULY 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree that Amsoil, and Optimol (owned by Castrol) produce oils that don't work as....intended.

Isn't Amsoil just oil of average quality, sold in some kind of pyramid sceme, over-priced, to give generous commisions to it's "expert", part time, work out of their trunk, sales people?

Saw Man.
Is the reference to rattling a few cerebral cages supposed to add some awe factor here?
Do you mean that ultra lean mixtures are due to ignorance or to use them is ignorant? Your intent is not clear.

a 32:1, and went to 40:1 by just increasing the Stoddard solvent which is used to enhance-improve dilution when mixing with gas.

You mean you add more solvent to the oil and that enables it to be used at 40 to 1 whereas previously had to be used 32 to one? Sounds like that oil must be more effective the more you dilute it!

Wondering,

Frank

Ditto the Amsoil and the likes.

Ben I think Marky Mark was pullin our peepee! That was my take anyway, thus my reply in kind!

Frank

BTW Amsoil buys their base oils from Mobil and their additive packages from Lubrizol so actually they are blenders not mfg's. FWIW Mobil will not sell their proprietary base oils to anyone. They have some of the highest tech ester and PAO base oils in the world that no one else even has the ability to produce.

Latest posts

Back