Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shucksters

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi dudes- been a little busy so I been out for a short while...question-
I have followed some of the posts on whether to use premium or regular
gas for our saws. I have been a little hesitant to use the premium because so few people actually BUY premium at the stations.

I tried it the other day (premium) and could tell a BIG difference in power
in all my saws- they ran GREAT! How do they keep it fresh at the gas station (which it seems to be) if they don't sell much of it?

Thanks- Sam

Hmmmm

shucksters said:
Hi dudes- been a little busy so I been out for a short while...question-
I have followed some of the posts on whether to use premium or regular
gas for our saws. I have been a little hesitant to use the premium because so few people actually BUY premium at the stations.

I tried it the other day (premium) and could tell a BIG difference in power
in all my saws- they ran GREAT! How do they keep it fresh at the gas station (which it seems to be) if they don't sell much of it?

Thanks- Sam

I was actually wondering that myself dude. Specially since everything on here says not to keep gas for more than like 60 days.:popcorn:

Howdy Fellas,

I have a hard time finding it at the place I buy from. He is an idependant dealer I suppose because there is no brand sign out. He does have a sign that says our gas contains no alcohol or something to that effect. It is a good question you ask though. It leeds to other questions like, Do they or are they required to test their gas at certain intervals or when they get a delivery?

v/r
Mike .

Just remember when looking for gas, branded and unbranded start from the same tank before delivery...Bob

Good question. I have no clue, but an educated guess would be that in those large tanks, clean and sealed it will keep for quite a long time. I also run 93 octane in my saw, boat, as well as truck. I'm convinced it burns cleaner and a bit stronger. Since I rarely use my boat (9.9 johnson ) I use fuel stabilizer and add fresh gas as the tank gets low after a year or so, yes I've even ran year old gas w/ no problems at all. Just my 2 cents.

As for the fuel lasting underground in the tanks I have a few thoughts.

The tanks are at a more constant temperature. They contain such a large volume of fuel that given the relative surface area, they are exposed to vary small amounts of oxygen. The tanks are designed to be self-evacuating of fumes which produces an oxygen depleted atmosphere....less oxidation of fuel.

High octane is also a better fuel to start with. Most stations can order their fuel mixed with ethanol or not. Usually the driver has the ability to select what grade of fuel and whether it has alchohol.

Also, some stations use 3 grades of fuel, others just blend the high octane and low octane to get mid-grade. I always use 93 octane for my personal saws if I don't have any race fuel on hand. We set up our saws with 89 octane and recomend using 89 or higher at all times.

that all makes good sense.. I guess the bottom line is that my saws like it and run like scalded dogs on it (plus my weedeater and generator) so it's walking the walk... have a great night...

One other thing to ponder, no matter who's name is on the sign most often that company didn't make the gas. Here in NE Ohio there is one refinery that supply's gas for all the stations no matter who's name is on the sign, and it all comes from the same tank...Bob

Latest posts

Back