Get a look at this splitter...Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redbug, that big screw splitter reminds me of the stickler that came out in the mid seventies. I have a friend that bought one at a county fair about 1975. They split very well in straight grained wood like red oak and are extremely fast. Unicorn and Barkbuster made 3 pt. hitch pto powered models but were taken off the market because of too many lawsuits. I like them but you have to be extremely careful with them. They have had several elderly men killed by them because they they slipped and fell into them plus I remember of one guy lost his arm when the screw wrapped up in some loose clothing.One operation tip is that you need to keep a oil can handy and squirt the tip of the screw to cool it and help keep it sharp.You definitely need a kill switch on the power supply.
http://
www.
thestickler.com/

I've seen that before. It was either on an episode of "The Red Green Show" or maybe it was the chariot race scene from "Ben Hur".

I would stay far away from those.
I too have heard of people getting pulled into them, not worth it.

the man who runs the local small engine repair shop is missing half of his them due to one of them. He was demonstrating one at a local fair years ago and a split second mistake was all it took. He promptly canceled his future order and sent back his current inventory. He said he couldn't sell something like that with a clear conscious knowing it could cause more severe injury than what he suffered.

Jeff

Take at look at this one on a post hole digger. I have a post hole digger and if I could find one of those splitters, I would try it. Seems safe enough if you stay on the tractor...

I have one that I need to get a picture of...haven't used it in a few years. Picked it up for like 20 bucks at a garage sale. Works of the PTO on back of tractor, box mounts on 3pt w/ spikes you drive into the ground to keep it solid. Crank up the PTO and go to work...definately an element of danger and by all means I had someone on the tractor minding the PTO.

Latest posts

Back