Good Crank Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's some good information I got from Rick Schell with the Honda "tin" crank he built for my 250 Honda Hotsaw engine.

cb551662.jpg

Last edited:
Lot of spit shine and elbow grease into that, looks fast.

Too bad its on the indide of the saw, maybe a poly carbinate viewing window is in order.

Mike Maas said:
The information seems to point out some of the weaknesses of using synthetic racing oil in work saws.
Hi Mike,

Can you elaborate on what makes you feel this way?

Russ

Good info Dennis. Those last few ponies are tough. Love those full cranks.

He make one in 880?

HAHAHA

Seriously how many horses to knock off .1 sec from the cut. From a ported 500. I bet it's real tough from where you are.

It's easy from where I am. HAHAHAHA

Fred

Mr. said:
Love those full cranks.

He make one in 880?

Fred

A full circle crank may not help a true chainsaw engine given the small crankcase volume that they inherently have.

I`m curious to hear what experiences anyone may have regarding full cranks in a saw vs the same model without the full circle crank.

Russ

If nothing else they take up crankcase volume. I thought BWalker was alluding to converging pressures the other day. I encouraged him to speak up, but he didn't so just an ASSumption on my part.

He may be holding the ace on this one.

Fred

The information seems to point out some of the weaknesses of using synthetic racing oil in work saws.
That info is a little outdated.
Most mix oils now are at least partially synthetic. The Husky XP oil i just picked up is a synthetic.
Ester based Synthetics oils can and do have corrosion issues. I have seen this first hand with redline oil and Klotz oil. High quality synthetics do not.

Dennis, I think I would mount that crank in a display case. Looks to sexy to put in a motor.

I`m curious to hear what experiences anyone may have regarding full cranks in a saw vs the same model without the full circle crank.
My expiereance is that engines with small crankcase volume makes less usable power than those with bigger volumes.
This is why I believe that the 372 husky has a wider power curve than the Stihl 044/440. Of course I dont have the crankcase volume numbers for each and instead am relying on info related to me by a former Husky engineer that posted here.

bwalker said:
I was talking about something else, Fred.
What do you mean by converging pressures?

Sorry about the misread. Love that crank.

Fred

Latest posts

Back