Got a 346xp and a CS2171 what else could I need

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange fever

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have my J'red CS2171 and a new version Husky 346XP on the way, what other saw could I possibly need? My youngest son has an Echo CS370 and my eldest has a CS440 Echo. I am thinking that the 346XP will cover limbing and anything up to 16" and the CS2171 should handle anything from 16" on up to 28". I would consider a smaller saw for limbing and chores, but I think with the performance of the 346 I may never pick up a smaller saw. I also don't think I can justify anything between the 2 like a MS361. I really am hoping the Husky will perform well up to about 14-16" and from there I'll get out the 2171. Opinions?

I have my J'red CS2171 and a new version Husky 346XP on the way, what other saw could I possibly need? My youngest son has an Echo CS370 and my eldest has a CS440 Echo. I am thinking that the 346XP will cover limbing and anything up to 16" and the CS2171 should handle anything from 16" on up to 28". I would consider a smaller saw for limbing and chores, but I think with the performance of the 346 I may never pick up a smaller saw. I also don't think I can justify anything between the 2 like a MS361. I really am hoping the Husky will perform well up to about 14-16" and from there I'll get out the 2171. Opinions?

Ithink you've got it covered! You'll like the 346. I dont use my 359 much since i got the 346 unless the trees are over 16 or 18".

I have my J'red CS2171 and a new version Husky 346XP on the way, what other saw could I possibly need?

In this order: 660, 880, 090(a real one). If none of those are avaliable I guess you could try some of the bigger huskies, but be careful though and read the 880 vs.3120 thread.:cry: :cry:

Nah, your 2 current saws should be good for awhile until you need some real HP:)

Well, you have exactly two choices:

1. A big line of credit,

2. Log off, forget this site, and never return.

Oh, hope you hang around.

Joat

Of course you need a 361, I use mine more than all the others together.

The new 346 may change that a little, but the 361 for sure will remain the most used one......

Last edited:
Don't get a 361 or a 357xp...

... you probably won't touch your 346xp ever again.

I don't think there is a big step up in weight and bulk, but the step up in power is awesome.

Don't agree.. 60cc is only if you can't afford 50 + 70 cc ;)
In our typical woods you typically do thinning of up to 10" trees. For that application there is no saw on the market that can compete with the 346xp. Then there is logging and the 2171 will do it better than the 361/357.

Orange fever: You've got it all covered ;) No need for a 7900 when you have the 2171. Next step would be 90cc.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get a MS361. Seem like you got it covered pretty well.

If anything get a big'un and go milling :biggrinbounce2:

You have all you "need". Now comes the "want".

There is a big difference.You'll probably "want" a small top handled saw and a large displacement saw just for the fun of it.

Then you'll just have to learn how to justify the wants......real simple actually.:cheers:

You have all you "need". Now comes the "want".

There is a big difference.You'll probably "want" a small top handled saw and a large displacement saw just for the fun of it.

Then you'll just have to learn how to justify the wants......real simple actually.:cheers:

Regarding "need", the MS361 and the 339xp would cover it all here....:)

I have a real problem justifing a 390xp (or MS660), when the 372xp already is overkill.....

Last edited:
Don't agree.. 60cc is only if you can't afford 50 + 70 cc ;)
In our typical woods you typically do thinning of up to 10" trees. For that application there is no saw on the market that can compete with the 346xp. Then there is logging and the 2171 will do it better than the 361/357.

Orange fever: You've got it all covered ;) No need for a 7900 when you have the 2171. Next step would be 90cc.

I'd rather run a 60cc and a 75cc saw.

An 8 pin sprocket on a 361 will blow a 346xp out of the water in any wood. Yes, its heavier, but by how much? I cut down a 4 rail pine fence for about 4 hours of solid cutting. I would always prefer, and be happiest with the 361 and an 8 pin sprocket. It eats the smaller diameter rails slightly faster, increases the gain when the rails get the slightest bit larger in diameter. And I never felt the extra weight, even after all that time taking the saw from 4' high down to 6" off the ground and right back up. Over and Over. And over again.

I figure that test was about as scientific as one could get. Small diameter cutting over and extended period of time. Not like two trees that can have different limb sizes, and different amounts of limbs to skew test results. 361 was my favorite.

It sounds like you need a Stihl ms361. It is the perfect saw duhhh!!

Yes, and then he really don't need any of those Huskys.....:jawdrop:

Seriously, I believe the German made MS361 is the best chainsaw ever, closely followed by the Jonsereds Raket 621 (35 years older basic design -way ahead of the competition at that time).

Back