Got a new saw today its orange but not husky or stihl.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chances are from the little tidbits i've heard from echo they are going to start a new design in the coming years. they are working on getting the performance of the stihl/jusky pro saws with the echo durability in the cheapest to produce...which means cheapest to sell to the customer. and if they do...well durability and performance for less cost? no crank case halves to leak or split?(which means easier warranty for the manufacturer) Less parts for a rebuild to buy? Less weight?...i really cant see why this is anything but good. yeah you have to take off the oiler and flywheel to get it out and the cyl off. boohoo your 3/4 way there with the bolt on cyls. change is a coming fellas

Don't even nedd to take off the flywheel, just the clutch and oiler. Steve

Looks like a major mistake - but maybe not as bad as the brand name usually indicates.

Despite they claim it is a pro saw, it still has a clamshell style engine....:msp_wink:

The chassis is magnesium and it can pull more bar than a stock 346xpne. I used one for over a year professionally felling trees up to 24" and it never skipped a beat, and survived having a Beech dropped onto it.

$50 more and you coulda had a 500P, tho...

Congrats on the new saw. I bought a 520 off ebay last spring. Seems like a nice saw. I ran it a little bit and ran ok. Have since did a muffler mod and anticipate a lot more power. The outlet was a small pipe about the size of a pea.:dizzy:

For what ever reason troll just likes raining on any echo parade.

The chassis is magnesium and it can pull more bar than a stock 346xpne. I used one for over a year professionally felling trees up to 24" and it never skipped a beat, and survived having a Beech dropped onto it.

Good to know! Curious tho whats so good about the 500p? Also what bar and chain cut best?

sent from my galaxy tab 2

Good to know! Curious tho whats so good about the 500p? Also what bar and chain cut best?

500P has a bit more power and weighs less. And it has that 'pro design' ST loves so much. It's basicaly a SHindaiwa. WHen I first hefted a 500P, I thought it was a 45cc saw.

500P has a bit more power and weighs less. And it has that 'pro design' ST loves so much. It's basicaly a SHindaiwa. WHen I first hefted a 500P, I thought it was a 45cc saw.

O ok im sure this one will do just fine for me.

Congrats on the new saw! I have a saw based on a line trimmer engine and Husqvarna considers it a pro saw. It's not the size that counts its all in how you use it. Does that sound right? Oh well, someone will surely correct me. Enjoy your new saw.

Last edited:

I'd have to run both the CS500p and CS530 both muff modded to decide which has better power, I do know the CS510, 520 and 530 really cut with just a muff modd and tuned good. The CS500 is LIGHT in hand. Steve

The 530 wasn't discontinued so to speak, it's just that when Echo and Shindaiwa got together, they had a better saw in that cc range, so it became the Echo 500P and replaced the 530 in Echo's lineup.

Watch Masterminds vid of a CS520 he ported if you think they don't make power with that carb. Steve

that's my saw. it would humiliate alot of "pro grade" saws from the big two. Randy labeled it a "346 killer" in the thread for good reason. They are a fine saw, wicked fast in the cut, and the damn thing always is running within threee pulls. I consider it a "wolf in sheeps clothing". Not as flashy as some of the others, but it will make any 50cc saw ported or not, take note.:cheers:

Whats a pro saw?/ hahah I cut and sold some wood in the 70s with a Cox gear drive model airplane engine saw. Does that make it a pro saw? heheheh

Good looking echo man! I'm liking japanese saws. I like japanese trucks, too.

This is Mastermind's comments on page 4 of the thread.

You said this saw is no 346xp. You're right, it's a 346xp killer.

The "Mastermind" sticker is on there for you too.

I've used a 026 more than any other saw except a 028. I'm used to how they feel and handle. That said, I don't own either today. Just not enough speed and too much vibration.

I have a 346xp, 262xp, and 288xp that I've not used much to speak of. I run other Husqvarnas that I build much more than I get to run my own saws. I like these saws well enough that I got them and sold some Stihls to pay for them.

The Echo 520 I ran a little over a tank thru cutting up a 20" pine, and I must say I like it fine. It's not an uncomfortable saw at all, easy to find controls, the choke is well thought out and clicks open when the throttle is pulled. The anti-vib would be my biggest concern. I don't think it would be as easy on the body as a spring dampened Husky.

I'd like to get a 520 for myself, just to break out at a GTG and kick Stihls and Huskys around. [/B]

Last edited:

:msp_rolleyes:

Sure, a 500p with 2.1 kW/2.9 hp power specs - that's less than some current 42cc saws....

:msp_rolleyes:

Sure, a 500p with 2.1 kW/2.9 hp power specs - that's less than some current 42cc saws....

ever race a 600hp honda vs a 350hp small block? guess who wins...

hint: it's not the one that looks good on a spec sheet:msp_tongue:

your ruining this poor guys thread, and using a measurement of HP which DOESN'T EXIST! it's a fictional number to describe torque over time and rpm. come on let it be

Last edited:
Been getting a lot of echo trade ins so I get free test drives. I am impressed with every one of them so far.

echo 3900 is on par and may out cut the 023 40cc easily. Not a 45cc 025 though tried that.

echo 4500 43mm bore 31mm stroke 45cc is just like a OE 346xp to me. feel, weight and rpm in the cut.

echo 6700 dont have the rpms or grunt of the 365 specials I had but it is close behind.

echo 8000 I have runs with the best of them in the 0-80cc. Mine reminds me of a 7900 in the cut with weight of a 660.

All for half the price of their top 2 counter parts.

Enjoy your saw and go cut wood. The wood will never no the difference.

Last edited:
Back