Got a new saw today its orange but not husky or stihl.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zero saws that are marketed as pro saws are clamshells designs, except Echo ones - as far as I know.

Also, I was told they come with pathetically small carbs, that makes it impossible to make much power....

I see you have a 339xp in your signature line. Isn't it a clamshell?:msp_confused:....with plastic bark dogs?:laugh:

Not marketed as a "Pro saw"? guess again! http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/xp-saws/339-xp/

C'mon Niko, lighten up a bit. Lots of guys are happy to run Echos rather than Husqapoulans.:poop: Some of these builders are rather taken with Echo's cylinder quality as well, and apparently, the ported saws run very well.

Last edited:
I see you have a 339xp in your signature line. Isn't it a clamshell?:msp_confused:....with plastic bark dogs?:laugh: .... .

Despite I own one, I am not a big fan of that model, it just is better than the alternatives in the size/weight class - and the way it handles is a major plus. I never thought of it a a real pro saw though, and those are hard to find below 40cc.

The only reason it is labelled as a pro saw is that it was based on a top-handle saw (338xpt), that is a pro saw. It surely has a clamshell style engine, and that is reflected by a relatively low power to cc ratio - but not nearly as bad as many other ones the same size and basic design.

I never heard of any "plastic bark dogs" for that model, btw?

Looks like a major mistake - but maybe not as bad as the brand name usually indicates.

Despite they claim it is a pro saw, it still has a clamshell style engine....:msp_wink:

Don't mind troll if it is not a husky one would think someone pee'd in his cereal. Congrats nice saw.:msp_biggrin:

I think you will really like that 530, 11lbs ready to go. Half the price of a 346 and with the same grunt. Troll doesnt ever mention that most of the big Mac's are clamshell engines more or less too. The 530 muffler is a reverse/inside stinger design which is quiet for working in residential/ populated areas. If your going to run it out in the woods a muffler mod and carb tune will get you a good bit more power from it. 13.5mm venturi Walbro WT-594 carb, exactly the same as most other 50cc saws. Good saw that will last you a long time.

I think you will really like that 530, 11lbs ready to go. Half the price of a 346 and with the same grunt. Troll doesnt ever mention that most of the big Mac's are clamshell engines more or less too. The 530 muffler is a reverse/inside stinger design which is quiet for working in residential/ populated areas. If your going to run it out in the woods a muffler mod and carb tune will get you a good bit more power from it. 13.5mm venturi Walbro WT-594 carb, exactly the same as most other 50cc saws. Good saw that will last you a long time.

$440 Out The Door. Is Not 'half the price' of a 346.

OP an oiler in your ms250?

CONGRATS on the new saw.

Well, nobody can keep you from your dreams - but a 13.5 venturi stlll is small on a 50cc saw (MS260 level), and that Echo still is what it is, with a clamshell style engine - but just dream on if you want to....:msp_sneaky:

Last edited:
PLMCRZY, I like your saw! Nice pick up man.

I really dont care what size carb it has, or what type of sea shell its made of, or if it has unobtanium valves LOL. Bottom line is you picked up a saw YOU like so have a blast with it. I like my CS520 so you do what you do and thats buy what you like. Everyone else can jump off a bridge if they dont like it, know what I mean Vern :rock:

I noticed how much quieter it was then my ms250.

$440 Out The Door. Is Not 'half the price' of a 346.

OP an oiler in your ms250?

CONGRATS on the new saw.
They had a 346xp there i think it was $550 or so. I picked it up, echo just felt better to me.

Yes a common thing on a ms250 is the oil worm gear drive to go out. It was just worn.

PLMCRZY, I like your saw! Nice pick up man.

I really dont care what size carb it has, or what type of sea shell its made of, or if it has unobtanium valves LOL. Bottom line is you picked up a saw YOU like so have a blast with it. I like my CS520 so you do what you do and thats buy what you like. Everyone else can jump off a bridge if they dont like it, know what I mean Vern :rock:
Yep ever since the 370 i have fell in love with em.

Has a fugly look of cheap plastic that is badly shaped to me = total lack of any hint of class and style - but each to their own....

Thats what the women say about you, ol codger. Get off your high horse. I bet you cry yourself to sleep dont you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP, my 'not half the price' comment was not at you, rather rmh. Nevertheless, you proved my point.

Good on you for picking the one "that felt right".

They feel right to me when they are fast and smooth.

OP, my 'not half the price' comment was not at you, rather rmh. Nevertheless, you proved my point.

Good on you for picking the one "that felt right".

They feel right to me when they are fast and smooth.

I like to be different to :) Didnt even consider stihl for some odd reason lol.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

Whats a pro saw?/ hahah I cut and sold some wood in the 70s with a Cox gear drive model airplane engine saw. Does that make it a pro saw? heheheh

Good looking echo man! I'm liking japanese saws. I like japanese trucks, too.

The 3:1 left handed saw.

When we stopped heating with wood my dad got rid of the Disston he had since the early 50s.

One Christmas she got him one of those little yellow boogers.

First saw I ran by myself. 12" bar. 22" cherry tree.

I'm looking for one. My dad is 97 next month. He'd get a kick out of it.

Sorry for the derail.

Congratulating you on your new Echo!!!!

:msp_rolleyes:

Sure, a 500p with 2.1 kW/2.9 hp power specs - that's less than some current 42cc saws....

From reports on here the CS500p cuts right with the best 50cc Husky and Stihl saws, explain how a saw with 2.9hp could do that. 2.1 kw = more like 2.8 hp, I'd guess it's 2.8 kw and 3.7hp which would actually make sence. Steve

Last edited:
Has a fugly look of cheap plastic that is badly shaped to me = total lack of any hint of class and style - but each to their own....

One of the reasons the Echo is heavier is the plastic is thicker - less cheap, than the 346. I've always thought the 346xp felt like a toy. But, then again, I have actually used a 346xp professionally, as well as the Echo. DO not confuse a clamshell Echo with a clamshell STIHL - they are built entirely differently. The Echo is all metal, and made to last. I like them both. I'd rather be felling with the Echo and limbing with the Husky; though a ported 520 does both extremely well. Niko - you have probably not even hefted a CS-530(which I think we call a 510 here in Europe), let alone used one as a professional forester, have you? I know it's dark up there right now, and you've nothing much else to do, but let's be reasonable here.

To be honest, anyone who appreciates a 346xp for what it is would love running a 500p. If you bash the 500p just because of brand, I really have to question your qualifications.

Well its raining, no cutting for me:(

sent from my galaxy tab 2

C'mon troll. :angry: Can't the guy just be excited about his new saw? I don't understand why you always feel compelled to do this. Maybe that is the way all Norweigans are? Most of us around here are happy for a guy with a new saw, regardless of the sticker on the side. You should try it. Genuine happiness for the good fortune of others. It may brighten your own day sometime.

Do you go and tell the guy with a new Cadillac that he should have bought a Bentley?

They probably dont have either over there.:potstir:

Latest posts

Back