Got Mulch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
curdy

curdy

ArboristSite Operative
OK, so I've got like nearly 10 large piles of wood chips in different parts of my property. I'm going to be piling them into one spot in the back yard before spring. Now, I've read that I can go ahead and use them around mature trees before the chips are really broken down with no worries (just not around young trees and flower beds.)

But, If I wanted to go ahead and make good brown mulch (so I could use it in flower beds and such) what would I add to the pile? I'm thinking some sort of fertilizer would do the trick.

Any ideas?

curdy

curdy

ArboristSite Operative
Breezio said:
Poop?

I don't know :)

LOL, I knew someone would suggest that! Being that my yard is only 2 acres I didn't think the smell would be very pleasent for me or my neighbors...my wife on the other hand is from the eastern shore of Maryland and says that smell pleasently reminds her of home.

Dadatwins

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Add some ground up leaves and mix it in, pile needs to be turned frequently to keep the process going through the pile. The material in the center will be 'hottest' and darkest. Lime will help also just be careful about any run-off from the pile getting into any water systems or ponds. Lots of threads on site about compost and mulch, the more organic material you add, banana peels, apple cores ect. all adds to the process. have fun.

curdy

curdy

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for the heads up about the runoff. We're on public water here and no ponds nearby...but a lot of water passes through. We just bought the place in July and the grading kinda tends to retain all the water in the back yard...VERY muddy, so I could see the lime maybe not being the best idea now that you mention it.

I was hoping there would be a way to avoid having to turn it a bunch, just due to time and lack of equipment to do it (its gonna be a large pile!)

b1rdman

b1rdman

Addicted to ArboristSite
danielmccurdy said:
OK, so I've got like nearly 10 large piles of wood chips in different parts of my property. I'm going to be piling them into one spot in the back yard before spring. Now, I've read that I can go ahead and use them around mature trees before the chips are really broken down with no worries (just not around young trees and flower beds.)

But, If I wanted to go ahead and make good brown mulch (so I could use it in flower beds and such) what would I add to the pile? I'm thinking some sort of fertilizer would do the trick.

Any ideas?

Keep in moist to wet and if you know anyone who raises red worms, throw a few pounds of them in there. They'll make short work of it.

BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
howstuffworks is a VERY unreliable source for information. Their stuff is riddled with errors, and they have shown no inclination to correct errors that are brought to their attention. The name of the game seems to be "Get viewers, get advertisers, get money."

This has been a public service annoucement. :cool:

Carla

Carla

ArboristSite Lurker
I saw nothing major

wrong with the site Daniel posted. Most of it seemed useful. Course I didn't go over it with a fine toothcomb...

My compost pile started by accident one year when we needed to pile pieces of removed sod to put in a perrineal garden. They were piled in a heap in the corner of the yard (out of site) where we also have a burn barrel and often burn wood leftover from renovation projects.

I started throwing household food and veg. waste (no fat or meat) in the pile. I'd just uncover an area, toss in the waste and cover it up. EZ as pie. I don't throw any in during coldest months so it basically sits undisturbed for 5 months. By spring I have great compost rich soil. I also add some of the ash from the burn barrell in it when I'm planting. It makes the plants grow like weeds!
Just my 2 cents.:clap:

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
Birdman already mentioned it, but it bears repeating, water the pile. It greatly speeds the process if you irrigate. Turning is the other key. If you don't have a machine that will do it, you have a bit of a problem. The stuff on the bottom will compost first, and you can't get to it. The stuff on the top and in the middle will dry out and just sit there.:dizzy:

Trinity Honoria

Trinity Honoria

Mike Maas said:
Birdman already mentioned it, but it bears repeating, water the pile. It greatly speeds the process if you irrigate. Turning is the other key. If you don't have a machine that will do it, you have a bit of a problem. The stuff on the bottom will compost first, and you can't get to it. The stuff on the top and in the middle will dry out and just sit there.:dizzy:

yesterday, the kids & i move 42 black plastic bags of leaves a volunteer group had raked up at the Child Advocacy Center where i work... they are now all bag-free, in the fenced area at the back of my garage... i'll be tossing it periodically... but have followed this thread to see what else i need to add to it for it to become true mulch...

the kids dad helped us (he has a truck)-- and he called up later "I've broken out in a rash everywhere the water from those bags touched my arms!" the other 4 of us had no problem, so i reassured him it was just from being in the same airspace as his ex-wife... :clap:

anyway, i'll be watering my leaf pile during our dry times... and do i gather covering it would be good as well???

Latest posts