Great deal on a Craftsman Riding Mower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think easier to play with the types you have been flipping..

Amazing how many have required almost no work at all. The JD was something else. I learned a lot and made some good coin, but I'll try and avoid it in the future. But who knows? I'll see what pops up in the next couple of weeks or a month and decide how deep I want to get with a fixer-upper.

I was thinking of keeping the current Craftsman cause a mower is nice to have around. Now I'm thinking, when I need a mower, I'll buy one, fix it, use it, and flip it. I really only HAVE to mow twice a year, and the ATV can do all the dump cart work, that the tractor does so much better.

Now I'm out of mowers. Guy took it off my hands for $1250. 600 profit in a weeks time, and I did nothing but pick it up and wash it.

Check out this one that came up on Craigslist that I hadn't notice before. Not mine, but the price. Wow!

1659393101060.png

And another one. Price is Wow! Hell, I bought an excellent condition John Deere LA130 for $900 6 years ago. Had I held onto it it would easily sell today for $1500 to 1600.

1659393246855.png

Not meaning to hijack your thread again, but I have a Kohler Series 7000 22 HP twin cylinder on my Craftsman riding mower. The bolts to the muffler fell off. I bought new bolts (4) but I don't know if there's a gasket in between the muffler and the manifold. Any ideas?

Not meaning to hijack your thread again, but I have a Kohler Series 7000 22 HP twin cylinder on my Craftsman riding mower. The bolts to the muffler fell off. I bought new bolts (4) but I don't know if there's a gasket in between the muffler and the manifold. Any ideas?
There's Sears parts suppliers online that have parts diagrams from which you use to order parts. I'd put a DIY gasket between them even if it doesn't show on the diagram.

There's Sears parts suppliers online that have parts diagrams from which you use to order parts. I'd put a DIY gasket between them even if it doesn't show on the diagram.
Usually, the engine is listed as one part on those lists. At least that's what I've seen. You have to go to the engine mfg. to find a engine parts list. Which I haven't found.

Hey James, did you get your throttle linkage clips sorted out?

Try this site, if you scroll down they show a few different gaskets.

"Kohler 7000 Series Gaskets - Jacks Small Engines" https://www.jackssmallengines.com/equipment/kohler/7000-series/gaskets

If you click on one of the gaskets it shows which models it fits. There is also a drop bar above the models to type in your mower model #.

Hey James, did you get your throttle linkage clips sorted out?

Try this site, if you scroll down they show a few different gaskets.

"Kohler 7000 Series Gaskets - Jacks Small Engines" https://www.jackssmallengines.com/equipment/kohler/7000-series/gaskets

If you click on one of the gaskets it shows which models it fits. There is also a drop bar above the models to type in your mower model #.
Yes, I think I did. Haven't ordered it yet though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V3X2R7C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A12Y8CTQ2WMXYZ&psc=1
I have to check the exact Model # of my Kohler 7000 series engine, but I think these will work:
https://www.amazon.com/Kohler-Repla...kohler+2404149s+exhaust+gasket,aps,164&sr=8-4
I'll check today and order both. Will cross reference with Jack's Small Engine first to make sure both are correct.
Thanks

Your question about exhaust pipe to head gasket on the exhaust pipe.
Yes they normally have one. I make my own using a old one as a pattern. I have NAPA asbestos gasket material.

Those bolts that fell out can have either a torx head or a allen wrench head 5/16 bolt.
Do not limp wrist them when snugging up. One some of them Kohler mufflers on some tractors the bolts hold the complete load of the muffler and the pipes are made into the muffler and the exhaust system is all one piece.

You might get a jaw drop when your price them two gaskets.

Your question about exhaust pipe to head gasket on the exhaust pipe.
Yes they normally have one. I make my own using a old one as a pattern. I have NAPA asbestos gasket material.

Those bolts that fell out can have either a torx head or a allen wrench head 5/16 bolt.
Do not limp wrist them when snugging up. One some of them Kohler mufflers on some tractors the bolts hold the complete load of the muffler and the pipes are made into the muffler and the exhaust system is all one piece.

You might get a jaw drop when your price them two gaskets.

Yeah, my last fix on my John Deere L120A involved my putting gaskets between the intake manifolds to the cylinder heads. $7 and change from Amazon. There were original o'rings which I kept in place but did not trust them to seal completely. I don't know if they sealed or not, but got fed up with working on the carbs after 3 times. I said the hell with it and bought the expensive gaskets and, well, the machine ran perfectly, so was money well spent.

Yeah, my last fix on my John Deere L120A involved my putting gaskets between the intake manifolds to the cylinder heads. $7 and change from Amazon. There were original o'rings which I kept in place but did not trust them to seal completely. I don't know if they sealed or not, but got fed up with working on the carbs after 3 times. I said the hell with it and bought the expensive gaskets and, well, the machine ran perfectly, so was money well spent.
You said:
There were original o'rings which I kept in place but did not trust them to seal completely.

I also started using gaskets over the Nikki o'rings at the carb intake manifold with good results. I apply grease to each side of the intake gasket's and they are usually re-useable. Them intake manifold o rings when used by themselves will be a source of intake manifold air leaks and engine surging/hunting. (and the Nikki carb get's blamed AGAIN)

Now I'm out of mowers. Guy took it off my hands for $1250. 600 profit in a weeks time, and I did nothing but pick it up and wash it.

Check out this one that came up on Craigslist that I hadn't notice before. Not mine, but the price. Wow!

And another one. Price is Wow! Hell, I bought an excellent condition John Deere LA130 for $900 6 years ago. Had I held onto it it would easily sell today for $1500 to 1600.

View attachment 1007154
Holy cow. The one with the bagger for $900 is definitely on the upper end of full retail. Baggers aren't cheap but they're also very model oriented and is hard to sell on their own.

The bottom one tho, just wow! Your prices are definitely higher than my area.

Holy cow. The one with the bagger for $900 is definitely on the upper end of full retail. Baggers aren't cheap but they're also very model oriented and is hard to sell on their own.

The bottom one tho, just wow! Your prices are definitely higher than my area.

Yup! I've another mower I am hoping to pick up tomorrow. $895 it was listed yesterday, and today is $695. I'm guessing the guy is tight for cash, or doesn't care about a couple of hundred. It is easily a 12 to 13 hundred dollar mower in todays crazy market.

I did my tally and of the 7 mowers I have bought and sold since this thread was started, I've made (profit) $4420. No small sum of money for me.

I have no visibility in how long this supply demand imbalance will go on, but I plan to take full advantage of it.

It really comes down to peoples ability to diagnose and fix problems. Sadly many cannot and that is where I come in. I fix them up and in selling them list all features and possible issues when asking top dollar. So far this is working. Guy yesterday, didn't attempt to negotiate on price. Just handed me $1250 and drove off.

Ahhhh $h!t. I've got another problem child. Brother and I both have Yard Machines 121R 31 cc mini cultivators. Neither start. Mine needs another primer bulb which I've located. My Brother's leaks gas through the air intake. So I assume these little carbs have a rubber diaphragm that is cracked. I did a quick search and found several cheap aftermarkets that should fit. But I think the originals were Walbro carbs. Haven't found one yet. Will look tomorrow. These little carbs are becoming a PITA. I'm correct about the cracked diaphragm?

Ahhhh $h!t. I've got another problem child. Brother and I both have Yard Machines 121R 31 cc mini cultivators. Neither start. Mine needs another primer bulb which I've located. My Brother's leaks gas through the air intake. So I assume these little carbs have a rubber diaphragm that is cracked. I did a quick search and found several cheap aftermarkets that should fit. But I think the originals were Walbro carbs. Haven't found one yet. Will look tomorrow. These little carbs are becoming a PITA. I'm correct about the cracked diaphragm?

I invested in the set of carb brushes and pics. Probably a good idea to get a set off Amazon and try fixing it along with a kit. Just for the knowledge its worth it. But those carbs are probably very inexpensive, so there is that route to consider.

I invested in the set of carb brushes and pics. Probably a good idea to get a set off Amazon and try fixing it along with a kit. Just for the knowledge its worth it. But those carbs are probably very inexpensive, so there is that route to consider.
I agree fixing it myself is worth the experience. But my brother is impatient and just wants it fixed. I'm trying to educate myself because there is no reliable place locally to get my saws/mowers worked on. The pressure washer, I working on myself.

Do they sit for long periods with gas in them? I've not had the greatest luck rebuilding carbs that are corroded from ethanol. Sometimes a replacement is the best solution.....I'd definitely try tearing it down and cleaning it first tho, and maybe throw a rebuild kit at it depending on what things look like inside. Don't be too discouraged if that doesn't fix it is all.
Freakin ethanol......
Based on limited info it looks like it could be this one, maybe.

"MTD 75304333 Carburetor Assembly - Jacks Small Engines" https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/mtd/75304333

I've had 90% good luck with the replacement HIPA small 2 cycle carbs from amazon. Every once in awhile I get one that won't adjust properly but not often, engine just will not get smooth on the high rpm end. (usually $20 or less) I have Amazon Prime for free shipping.
They usually come as a tune up kit. You will need the special jet adjusting tool, sometimes it comes with the kit. If it does not work send it back free for a refund.

Yes the ethanol is not a good thing for the carbs and tygon fuel lines. Make a drawing of the fuel line routing connections FIRST especially if it has the external to the carb primer bulb because most generally the fuel LINES will need replaced and may break into pieces as the carb is moved. If a Bubba gets into one first the lines may already be connected wrong, see this quit often.

I like Walbro carbs, but some of the small one just won't come around with a kit.
I suspect little check valves (that are intended to be non-serviceable) buried deep inside has went bad.

Do they sit for long periods with gas in them? I've not had the greatest luck rebuilding carbs that are corroded from ethanol. Sometimes a replacement is the best solution.....I'd definitely try tearing it down and cleaning it first tho, and maybe throw a rebuild kit at it depending on what things look like inside. Don't be too discouraged if that doesn't fix it is all.
Freakin ethanol......
Based on limited info it looks like it could be this one, maybe.

"MTD 75304333 Carburetor Assembly - Jacks Small Engines" https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/mtd/75304333
Yes they sit all Winter with gas in them. Once I get them running, I'll dump the gas and run them dry for Winter storage.

Latest posts

Back