Great deal on a Craftsman Riding Mower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up #7 of the year. A very nice condition Craftsman YT3000. Runs perfect. I'll clean it up and get it posted for sale. Can't really see that anything needs fixing. Just start mowing... :yes:

Zero expense in picking it up, as I had a scheduled VA Eye Exam the same morning.

CraftsmanYT3000.JPG

Shined up like a new penny. I ran it thru 2.5 to 3 feet of weeds on the side of the road, and it cut it all down like it wasn't even there.

Only question now is which one to keep. The John Deere sure is smooth with the v-twin engine.

With all my profits over this last year I can get a brand new John Deere S170, but no one has them and no one can even tell me when they might even be available.

I stopped in at Home Depot yesterday and they have plenty of zero-turn gas powered mower, which are quite expensive. They look simpler to build and run the exact same engine. I can't help but think the industry is pushing zero-turns on the mower public. Better profits?

CIMG0018.JPG

CIMG0019.JPG

I think the zero turns are more available because they are in demand more. I honestly don't know anyone that has put time in on a zero turn that would rather run a lawn tractor. Not one.
But really, it comes down to personal needs. If mowing small yards and the difference in time is minutes, not hours, then who cares.

Eidt: is that an XR in the pic? What year?

You ever work on a Kawasaki (FH680V) engine. The linkage connecting the choke wire to the carb broke. It goes into the hole circled in red on the stock photo. Should be something like the black plastic piece circled in blue. Parts diagram calls for a whole shaft (16041) connected to the linkage, but that's something like $60? should be a jury rig for this small missing plastic part.
Choke Linkage.jpg

I think the zero turns are more available because they are in demand more. I honestly don't know anyone that has put time in on a zero turn that would rather run a lawn tractor. Not one.
But really, it comes down to personal needs. If mowing small yards and the difference in time is minutes, not hours, then who cares.

Eidt: is that an XR in the pic? What year?

I use my riding mower more for hauling the dump cart, 10*. The zero turns had no hitch mount available.

Maybe better for just only mowing, but I'll stick with the more conventional riding mowers.

Many ZT come with hitches now a days. I've seen universal hitch kits atTractor Supply, too. Not trying to change your mind - just stating they exist.

I had an 85 XR. Good bike. I've been keeping my eye out for a decent looking dual sport that needs a little wrenching on. I haven't had a bike in years.

Shined up like a new penny. I ran it thru 2.5 to 3 feet of weeds on the side of the road, and it cut it all down like it wasn't even there.

Only question now is which one to keep. The John Deere sure is smooth with the v-twin engine.

I stopped in at Home Depot yesterday and they have plenty of zero-turn gas powered mower, which are quite expensive. They look simpler to build and run the exact same engine. I can't help but think the industry is pushing zero-turns on the mower public. Better profits?
First I have never seen a zero turn or any mower at a discount store that I would own for my use. With that being said if you run a QUALITY zero turn you will never want to run any other type. I do not enjoy mowing but a quality zero turn.makes it more bearable. Everyone here has good ones as none of us like mowing

You ever work on a Kawasaki (FH680V) engine. The linkage connecting the choke wire to the carb broke. It goes into the hole circled in red on the stock photo. Should be something like the black plastic piece circled in blue. Parts diagram calls for a whole shaft (16041) connected to the linkage, but that's something like $60? should be a jury rig for this small missing plastic part.
View attachment 1005804

If you Google throttle linkage bushing you should be able to find something that will work.
Here's an example, I don't know if these are a standard item or if the linkage size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
These do look a little different than what you have pictured.

Kohler 25-158-11-S Throttle Linkage Bushing (Pack of 2) https://a.co/d/egKMPH1

Here ya go James, try this.
https://greenfarmparts.com/shop/john-deere-holder-miu12442/
Shipping is kind of a killer there, I plugged that number in to Amazon and found this.

John Deere MIU12442 Holder https://a.co/d/9xM3IXZ

Of course I'm not 100% sure this is your ticket.....just a buyer beware kind of thing.

Edit: here is the choke shaft assembly for $37, still way more than I would spend for that but it beats the $60 the dealer quoted you....
Kawasaki Genuine 16041-0028 Carburetor Choke Shaft OEM https://a.co/d/7wLrXbC

Double edit : pretty sure this is what your after, and is OEM, dang they're proud of those little buggers!

In the description it says to message them for fitment confirmation.

Kawasaki 13280-7004 HOLDER https://a.co/d/2Cr4uWG

OK, I'm out!

Many ZT come with hitches now a days. I've seen universal hitch kits atTractor Supply, too. Not trying to change your mind - just stating they exist.

I had an 85 XR. Good bike. I've been keeping my eye out for a decent looking dual sport that needs a little wrenching on. I haven't had a bike in years.

I probably need to ride one. In my mind it seems like the Zero-Turn is ass heavy and loading up a dump cart with split logs would make it even more so. Could it tip the ZT backwards? It sure would from my perspective.

I dont feel they are ass heavy at all. In fact, everytime i have gotten one stuck is because the roller casters sink further than the drive wheels. Part of this is because of the width and subsequent contact patch of the smaller tire. Also, I don't pull a cart with mine so I can't answer to how well they handle. I just see a lot of people using them as such. They also make snow plow mounts for them so I imagine they are probably ok in that aspect too. I'd not try it here due to the amount of snow we get, but I also wouldn't try to plow with a garden tractor for the same reason.

Or can you post up the craftsman model number of your YT3000?
Reason I ask is I have one that looks exactly like that with a Single cylinder Briggs Intek OHV that I need to piece the tractor and deck back together. Part of the stick on model number on the plastic sticker under the seat on the rear fender pan assembly is not readable so as I can find the correct IPL.
I got it dirt cheap and some of the deck and hanger parts are missing from a previous Bubba flogging the rig.

#7, the excellant condition Craftsman YTS3000, is being sold today. Bought Monday, selling Thursday. Easy $450 profit. All I did was wash it.

I'm now out of mowers. Craigslist is showing junkers or ones over a 100 miles away.

/- edit -/
Guy cancelled on me. Good cause I'm raising the price. :yes:

Mowers not selling in this neck of the woods.
Grass and even weeds are brown and dead due to no rain for several days and over 20 days of over 100F temps.
Been towing a 50 gallon (400 lbs loads) water wagon with my Cub Cadet watering fruit trees and garden.

Came within 2 inchs of a COILED copper head snake chomping on my hand yesterday. Do not really know why it did not strike. I thanked the man upstairs for helping me.

One of the secrets to finding good deals on mowers is guessing just how bad people spell or can't form simple sentences.

I suppose that people can blame spell checkers, but only in part? Still read what you wrote. Deer or Deere and never johndeer, riding or rideing. Duh! Crazy....

To bad this ones in California. Looks like it could be a fun project.

1659041977563.png

Some people like the JD's. I can pass on the yeller/grn stuff myself. (spell check did not catch the Yellow mis-spell because it know about Join deer's)
I fully restored a 212 and a 318 and I'm not to fond of the JD's. This 318 requires almost constant TLC. Onan B48 engine with lots of expensive parts.
The 212 has a really good single cylinder Kohler. But belt drive AND AND

I think easier to play with the types you have been flipping..

Latest posts

Back