Green lasers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sure they are cheap and can be had for $50, but how many of you guys really use them regularly? I wonder if it's useful for pointing out branches to clients or even the crew...

TIA,

Donnie

They work really well for my handguns and rifles and makes my dog tweek like a meth head while chasing the dot.....

I bought one from Wicked Lasers for around 100 bucks. I don't use it often but it's paid for itself when the client is very specific on what they want.
Phil

I find mine vey useful when talking with client about specific branches on a prune job. I used it the other day to point through a cracked leader. Seeing the dot helped make my point.
Rick

good quality green lasers seem hard to come by in aus, though there's plenty of the $2 garbage variety.

I've got a red laser that I carry with me to all quotes as part of my quote package which has a diameter tape, quote book, book of all the rules for different councils, couple of pens, tree marking tape and the laser. We have very specific laws for different council areas in aus that state what percentage of a tree can be pruned, and what the maximum branch diameter is. A lot of times clients want to do a removal but aren't permitted to, so the next thing they want is to remove as much as possible. You have to be very specific when quoting trims or it leads to disputes later.

The laser has been great, but a little hard to see in bright sunlight, especially on taller trees. A higher powered one with a bigger dot would be great.

Shaun

I have one of the lasers from Sherill tree. I put it on my Christmas list and sure enough....Anyway, it comes in handy no doubt. It can help make sure you and HO are on the same page with whats getting cut and whats not. Cons are...they are alittle tough to see in bright sun light and they can be hard to hold steady. Try holding it on a 4 inch branch 50 feet in the air! NOT EASY. I try and use somthing to brace my hands with while holding laser. Would I recommend one to a friend? YES.

I but the cheap ones at Walgreen's, they work just fine, the battery's don't last to long, because I just cant help messing with the cat! I have found them to be very valuable when training a guy on rigging.

I have one of the ones from sherrill. It comes in handy sometimes, but the sun is always so bright here in CO you can't see it until the late evening. I do a lot of work with solar companies, trimming trees back to allow sunlight to solar panels. It works great because I can tell them exactly what I am going to cut during the estimate and we can decide if we can just trim the tree or if it needs to be removed.

When you are using it don't try to point the laser right at your target and turn it on, you'll never hit it. Start at the trunk and work your way out to the limbs you want to point at, much easier.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it is great for showing other climbers how you want the tree pruned before they get in it. None of the "you see that fork there... no the next one.... uh to the left..."

Always in the truck with the tape reel for estimates. Much less confusion when talking to the client.

good quality green lasers seem hard to come by in aus, though there's plenty of the $2 garbage variety.

I've got a red laser that I carry with me to all quotes as part of my quote package which has a diameter tape, quote book, book of all the rules for different councils, couple of pens, tree marking tape and the laser. We have very specific laws for different council areas in aus that state what percentage of a tree can be pruned, and what the maximum branch diameter is. A lot of times clients want to do a removal but aren't permitted to, so the next thing they want is to remove as much as possible. You have to be very specific when quoting trims or it leads to disputes later.

The laser has been great, but a little hard to see in bright sunlight, especially on taller trees. A higher powered one with a bigger dot would be great.

Shaun

They are hard to find as they are illegal to import them, Illegal to posses one with out a weapons permit.
Both are serious crimes both have mandatory minimum sentences that will get you more time in jail than average manslaughter charge

Why?

There was a spate of stupid's that thought it was funny to point them into the cockpits of commercial jets while they were landing.
The legislation is that importing or procession of a high power green laser crime under the weapons act, and there are charges under the terrorism legislation

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/lasers-pointed-at-four-sydney-planes/story-e6frfq80-1226123441334

Last edited:
The ban isn't specific to green lasers, it's a ban on lasers with an output of more than 1mW. They are classed as a weapon in some states, but not all. If you are in a profession that has need of a laser with an output of over 1mW you can apply for an exemption and I guess tree workers would probably qualify.

The ban only applies to handheld lasers, mains powered units are unrestricted. You can find lots of laser units in shops and on ebay with high outputs, but they aren't handheld. There are quite a few you could make into a handheld though. There are a few pen type pointers claiming big outputs, but like most cheap rubbish I'd imagine the outputs are highly overstated.

www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/LaserPointers.pdf

Shaun

Shaun you post is good

Penalty: the maximum penalty for importing these goods without
import approval is $110,000 or 3 times the value of the goods,
whichever is the greater.

Defence and Strategic Goods List Amendment 2010
lists almost 200 lasers that you cannot have

Last edited:
yeah, I noticed. But that's the maximum penalty for everything thesedays. The maximum penalty for removing or damaging a tree is $110,000 per tree for an individual or $1.1million per tree for a commercial entity. Per tree ;-) The actual fines that get handed out are generally only a few hundred dollars for most people, though there have been a couple cases of $20k.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back