Groundmen say the darnedest things.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Groundies don't touch my ropes other than to bring them to me.

11vmr7d.jpg

I`ve worked with some great climbers, but on the whole I`ve found climbers to be sloppy rope coilers.

A rope should be coiled short, tight, easy to carry, oblivious to coming apart if thrown around, and feed tangle free.

Takes a groundman to do it properly. :cool:
No offense, but I would never let my guys pack my gear. That's my chance to inspect everything and avoid those heavy logs.

No offense, but I would never let my guys pack my gear. That's my chance to inspect everything and avoid those heavy logs.

I hear ya. That`s why you need to build a trusting relationship with your groundman. If the climber can`t trust his groundman with his tools and his life, then the climber is working in a more dangerous and less efficient environment.

A groundman`s job is to support the climber. He wants a cup of coffee and a lit cigarette sent up the tree, I`ll do it. It`s my job. But the climber best show the groundman some respect. Consider it motivated self-interest for the climber. Stops us from notching the tree while he`s still up there. ;)

I've developed a phobia to working with unteachable groundies. Took years to develop the condition.
Doc says the tic and maniacal glare may never go away.

n
Groundies don't touch my ropes other than to bring them to me.

11vmr7d.jpg

This... is how you do it! :cool:

And this is my old bull rope. (The tape is at 20` increments for cutting.) My new 150` 9/16 Dynasorb is in a rope bag. My climber`s rope (all his equipment) gets an even nicer treatment. Short, tight wraps with the buckle held in close and secure. Your ropes, my esteemed climber, are prone to getting tangled and the buckle flinging around and weighing down and ending up dragging below the rope. Unsightly and simply not good enough. And if you want a rope thrown to you, good luck with the resulting spaghetti.

My climber appreciates the good service and I appreciate the professional courtesy he shows me. :)

006_zps3ae53931.jpg

You never "throw a rope on the ground." You roll your rope up when you're finished and you unroll your rope when you're gonna use.

You never "throw a rope on the ground." You roll your rope up when you're finished and you unroll your rope when you're gonna use.

Insufficient response.

**** happens and the equipment needs to be in a condition to deal with the **** when it does happen.

Keep the equipment right, tight, and ready to fight. :chop:

Hey you all forgot "Im gonna come down (in case of a trim), or i guess with a removal your already down, but Im going to weave my rope all through where u need to rake then walk out front empty handed to take 20 mins to get a cig and water"
The guy that used to do that crap got a fun surprise when he came back once his rope got left in the biggest tangle of all time

Back