Groundmen say the darnedest things.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your groundmen have never said or done anything a bit strange or out or character?

For what it's worth, I pay my groundmen, two guys who bring nothing to the job but a strong back and bad breath, $200 a day. They work hard and we get the job done but no way are they perfect. Their off comments and strange actions make the day a bit frustrating but fun. From the sounds of it, your crew must be a TON of fun.

Lighten up Francis

I wish I could be in the tree and on the ground at the same time but that's not happening lol. I got a kid who is the only person I'll ever let run my rigging lines because he's very good and I have no problem paying him $20 an hour to just hold the ropes all day. Brush bitches get between $13-15 an hour depending on how hard they work.

I have posted help wanted at higher than normal (for my area) wages and all I got was more losers to apply. It seems there are very very few actually tree workers in my area and even fewer climbers.

Me, "did you read any of that book (tree climbers companion) last night?"
Groundie, "yea I read a few pages"
Me, "What did you read about?"
Groundie, "ummmm it was just stuff I already know"
Me, "like what?"
Groundie, "Umm...can't remember"

Lately, I've had more climber trouble than ground man trouble (climbing the wrong tree, etc). I must be blessed that both of my guys actually give a **** what they are doing. The worst they have done in a while is set a saw down on a customer's sidewalk instead of in the grass. I think I've got them broken of that. Other than forgetting to pick up our little 1 gal water cooler at a job they haven't lost anything this year. We even got it back as it was at a repeat customer's place. My senior guy is pretty picky and actually wants to do tree work so he kinda keeps the junior guy in line/teaches him. I do have to pay them more than $10/hr but I feel like I get my money's worth.

Started the day with one guy not coming in. My approach? Leave and go to the job, if he shows, he shows. The other groundie calls and through their discussion, I find out he slept late and won't be in considering I'm going to be mad for the rest of the day.

So I guess it's all about the attitude of the owner/climber/foreman, right?

10:30 and still no call from him to me.

I've always had the rule of "no show, no call, no job".

Started the day with one guy not coming in. My approach? Leave and go to the job, if he shows, he shows. The other groundie calls and through their discussion, I find out he slept late and won't be in considering I'm going to be mad for the rest of the day.

try hiring someone who's not a drunk, see what happens

Your groundmen have never said or done anything a bit strange or out or character?

For what it's worth, I pay my groundmen, two guys who bring nothing to the job but a strong back and bad breath, $200 a day. They work hard and we get the job done but no way are they perfect. Their off comments and strange actions make the day a bit frustrating but fun. From the sounds of it, your crew must be a TON of fun.

Lighten up Francis
My crew does have fun, oh we have fun.

200 a day is a good wage for a ground worker, seems like you're doing your part.

Some days I miss ground work. Must be nice to have the ability to show up with only half your head on and not have anyone die.

Got a new one from today boys, "Dude (while looking up at the sky), just look at all dos chem trails. Gubberment at werk".

Geoengineering has been going on for years in an attempt to alter weather patterns, and with some success. Is the Gubermint behind it? Not 1600 Penn Ave, unless it's to make sure it doesn't rain
on whatever golf course our president is planning to play on.

Guy from another company in town called me all fired up the other day. His groundie was complaining that the chipper was jamming up every 15 minutes or so. He had just changed the knives and anvil this week. Asked the groundie what's going on and got the " I don't know". Found the end of a pitch fork all jammed up inside. He was a bit upset to say the least. Pure artwork of expletives in that phone call I tell ya.

Guy from another company in town called me all fired up the other day. His groundie was complaining that the chipper was jamming up every 15 minutes or so. He had just changed the knives and anvil this week. Asked the groundie what's going on and got the " I don't know". Found the end of a pitch fork all jammed up inside. He was a bit upset to say the least. Pure artwork of expletives in that phone call I tell ya.

Lol. You have me curious who this is. Some ******* puts a pitchfork in my chipper and then tries to play stupid, I'd be buying a new one, sticking it up his ass and snapping off the handle!!:laugh:

The guy with the old red international with the elevator. Tommy cracks me up!

Yeah, he's cute alright.. unless you have to bid against him, that is.

Nothing a new set of blades, anvil and another plate welded on the (rusty) chipper chute won't fix. Lol. Good on the groundy for trying though.

Back