Guess I can't call myself a woodboogah no more

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I knocked off a few minutes early last nite and got a couple minutes of cutting in before it got dark.

attachment.php

Not far in I spied some red oak that'd been down for a long time. Bark and sapwood long gone and the heartwood is super petrified like dinosaur bones - what I call fossiloak.

There's a lot more in there not in view off beyond in the puckabrush. I'll be able to cut all the easy access stuff for months and not have to even think about dropping anything.

attachment.php

One of the smaller branches with my boogababysaw mugging or the camera. Tomorrow I don't need to drop the boy off at school, so I'll bring the 041 along.
attachment.php

Last night was lasagna night, so I didn't want to be late getting to the supper table. Plus, since I didn't get there til after the sun set, light dwindled quick. (It's actually a lot darker than it looks due to the camera flash). So off I went with only a partial load.
attachment.php

That oak is so closegrained, in spite of the recent rain, it was bone dry. If I needed any wood for this season, it'd have been loaded right into the barn.

:cheers:

NICE!!!

Fossiloak is one of my favorites to save for a big bad winter storm.

It somehow Chases the Manitou right outta the house while it's burning.;)

You're gonna need a bigger truck now. Something to haul LOADS instead of stealthily whipping in, grabbing several arm loads with Ninja like agility, and slinking off quietly so as to not alert nearby competing Booga's.

We know you're eyeballing used 1 Ton flatbeds...admit it.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Wow can't understand the firewood plight ya all have. I have been offered several acres of mature oaks but don't have the time now. I have several mature hickories near 100 cords estimate to cut off my 40 first.

NICE!!!

Fossiloak is one of my favorites to save for a big bad winter storm.

It somehow Chases the Manitou right outta the house while it's burning.;)

You're gonna need a bigger truck now. Something to haul LOADS instead of stealthily whipping in, grabbing several arm loads with Ninja like agility, and slinking off quietly so as to not alert nearby competing Booga's.

We know you're eyeballing used 1 Ton flatbeds...admit it.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yup. The fossiloak, along with my sugar maple are in a seperate pile in the barn so I don't need to go fumbling amongst the lesser worthy splits for those deep winter nights.

Also keep the apple wood seperate for special occasions like Christmas and other times we have company. Imparts just enough of an aroma to make the house seem snug and homey - without having to get all Yankee Candle girly.

Another vehicle might be in the near future. Probably nothing too big. If I ditch the Ranger, I'll likely go for another - or else a smaller Toyota. If I keep the Ranger for dump duty and wood hauling only, I'd be looking at a sensible 4 door sedan.

You are just taking the fun out of it. You will get bored and come back to the wild side.

Good for you WB, Im very happy for your find, and I hope that it keeps you warm and busy. This is a good example of how being cordial to strangers can be. A few minutes of conversation and a quick ride, to make a friend, a little help in bucking some wood and you get to beat the oilman.

:clap::clap:

Some pics from the past few days. Nothing impressive as compared to what tomtrees or some other folks post up. Nice that the site is so close by. If I make a dump run, I'll stop in and cut a load. Or run out for a gallon of milk. Or whatever.

This is my favorite pic - this winter's supply under the barn roof. Some of the kindling we'll go through in the foreground. There's 2 horse stalls, about 8x8x8. The one on the right is all low btu woofah wood. The other has mostly denser woods, with a little birch mixed in.

attachment.php

Couple days ago, I stumbled upon a good charge of long dead oak. But it was all piled up in a ditch. I usually have the peavey in the truck, so I made quick work of it before nightfall.

attachment.php

My camera must have some weird ability to make things look smaller than in real life. The pile looked a lot bigger in person.

Pictured also is the cap that started the conversation that got me into this cutting site. (I'd been wearing a bright orange knit hat to keep from getting shot).

attachment.php

Some more dead and downed "fossil oak." Looks pretty puny, but it was yielding 10-16" rounds:

attachment.php

Some of that deadfall heading home - along with the yield of a small red maple.

attachment.php

Here's my 2nd fave pic that I had on my camera - the start of the 2010-11 pile. All that's not split and stacked was cut over the past couple days. The split and stacked stuff is a 90% a mix of white and red oak. The unsplit stuff is almost exclusively red oak. There's about a cord of white and red oak up in the dooryard where it'll over winter in addition.

attachment.php

Been pretty busy on projects. Replaced the original front passanger brakepads on the Ranger after 161k and both swaybar connector bolts, as well as some other odd thngs. Relined the firebox in the stove - after 100 years, the original cast iron liners were finally toast. Replaced with firebrick - actually gained additional volume, which is a good thing since the fireboxes on cookstoves are so small.

Some pics from the past few days. Nothing impressive as compared to what tomtrees or some other folks post up. Nice that the site is so close by. If I make a dump run, I'll stop in and cut a load. Or run out for a gallon of milk. Or whatever.

This is my favorite pic - this winter's supply under the barn roof. Some of the kindling we'll go through in the foreground. There's 2 horse stalls, about 8x8x8. The one on the right is all low btu woofah wood. The other has mostly denser woods, with a little birch mixed in.

attachment.php

Couple days ago, I stumbled upon a good charge of long dead oak. But it was all piled up in a ditch. I usually have the peavey in the truck, so I made quick work of it before nightfall.

attachment.php

My camera must have some weird ability to make things look smaller than in real life. The pile looked a lot bigger in person.

Pictured also is the cap that started the conversation that got me into this cutting site. (I'd been wearing a bright orange knit hat to keep from getting shot).

attachment.php

Some more dead and downed "fossil oak." Looks pretty puny, but it was yielding 10-16" rounds:

attachment.php

Some of that deadfall heading home - along with the yield of a small red maple.

attachment.php

Now all we need is a picture of the head that fits under that Stihl cap........you said once that you were a redhead and all I can picture in my minds eye is Carrot Top. I'm sure that's not something you'd like to leave as is.......

I went out and bought me a buncha hats. Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonsered, Homelite, Echo and even a green Wild Thing hat. I wore those hats all over the place and I didn't even get an offer of one stick of wood. I did have the old guys up to Dairy Queen point at the Wild Thing hat and snicker. :cry::cry::cry:

I guess it's got to be all about the guy under the hat and I guess I just don't have it. :(

My hat's off to you Woodbooga. You definitely have it. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Latest posts

Back