guys giving me free wood gift horse or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry wayne

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this tree cutter is giving me all the wood i want,,,,most i go pickup....but alot of it is huge pine stumps bleedin that sticky stuff im taking it ,but also other wood too,.My / is will that stuff firm up or will keep getting worse..Also is it harder or just messier to splitt

I have a deal with the local yard people here and in one year and $300 in cash i have about 30 cords of mixed wood.
they drop it off as it is cheaper to give it to me than pay landfill fees.
I only give them cash from time to time as i feel bad when its hot and they are working hard stacking my winter fuel.
to bad it was all green as i am running low this winter .
take it if you can get it

shayne

Be careful not to burn too much pine, unless you burn it real hot the creosote buildup could cause a chimney fire.

A little is ok but I wouldn't make it my main fuel type.

Be careful not to burn too much pine, unless you burn it real hot the creosote buildup could cause a chimney fire.

A little is ok but I wouldn't make it my main fuel type.

pine burns clean as hardwood if it is seasoned till the bark falls off. before you burn it take the bark off as it smokes more with the bark on and adds to the creosote build up

pine burns clean as hardwood if it is seasoned till the bark falls off. before you burn it take the bark off as it smokes more with the bark on and adds to the creosote build up

True!

It's the standard up here in the NW. Free wood is 'free wood'!

It won't burn as long as hardwoods but it IS heat!

cut it
split it
dry it
burn it .
2000 years ago it was all good and i see no problem with it today.

:angry2:

Green pine IS messy...

Green DOES split easy...

Green pine DOESNT burn well....

Dry pine burns fine, but faster than hardwood, so you burn more volume than hardwood.

Dry pine burns hot.. it wont gum up your flue if it's burning hot

Free firewood is good firewood :)

So... Wear an old T Shirt and get a bottle of Simple Green to clean yourself up afterward and get all the free wood ya can ;) Let the pine dry for 12 months and its good to burn

Cheers

Ian

It's free!!! Take it. I take the good with the bad. I'd rather have pine than basswood, but when cuttin' I gotta take the basswood with the ash, elm and oak. I use seasoned pine for the hot blazing fires in the morning. It gets me warmed up good and blasts the junk out of the stove and chimney. I like to pick up alot of the ends and pieces from the local truss maker for that too.

Mike

Latest posts

Back