GypoLogger's Yukon Cabin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once he gets things squared away, he needs to get up on HughesNet. Satellite internet.

Ugh, Hughes sucks and also requires a phone line.

have heard something about DishNetwork offering a satellite internet recently though, might be worth a look.

I've been reading up on satellite internet- one piece of advice. Talk to some folks nearby who have it, see how satisfied they are. Mainly the satellite folks seem to be concerned with getting contracts signed and monthly payments made. Providing reliable service? Not so much. Good luck with the rest of the project.

I'm on Hughestnet Gen 4. It is adequate for 95% of normal activities. However we tried watching movies like Netflix and found it runs kinda slow and uses about 2 gig a movie. With a 20 gig limit per month movies use it up quick. It's $115 a month but it is all that is available here in the TN sticks.

Gypo, take lot's of pic's and post a thread on you build some day. It took me 18 months to build mine by myself & that was using baby 6x6 square milled cedar logs. I always wanted to do a lodge pole type, they are beautiful. I have to say the most fun is doing the custom cutting & fitting with a chainsaw:msp_thumbup:

Not at Atlin although the timber is better there. In building in Haines Jct Yukon about 250K from Atlin.

I used to live in Faro in 1989-90, I remember 24 hour sunshine in the summer time, Grizzly bears everywhere and way too many hangovers.cheers.

Gypo sent another picture of his progress on the cabin. Looks to be coming along very well. Said the height was getting abit much for his tree ape abilities.

Some of those logs are seriously big for one guy. I see a crane-like structure in the background, I hope it runs on petroleum products and not elbow grease. If the former, good, if the latter, yesh!

Good luck with the cabin John, I hope it all turns out well. Oh and thanks for starting the thread Dennis. I think one or two of the logs should be cut with a piped saw running on nitro just for old times' sake.

I've been reading up on satellite internet- one piece of advice. Talk to some folks nearby who have it, see how satisfied they are. Mainly the satellite folks seem to be concerned with getting contracts signed and monthly payments made. Providing reliable service? Not so much. Good luck with the rest of the project.

Many folks I know refer to that practice as Comcast.

John, glad to hear that you're doing well. Post sum fotos of yerself......preferably wearing clothing :msp_ohmy: :laugh:.

Looks like a nice Cabin in the works.

Hoping to be building one myself next year if not sooner if all goes well.

Good to hear he's still kicking.
Are you using those 14" 3/8" .050" UHL mount Pro Top bars I sent you John?

Yes thats where Gypos land is,right on Bear Berry Lane

Was that the lot he was clearing a couple years ago?

2010%2520Trip%2520to%2520Alaska%2520541.jpg

2010%2520Trip%2520to%2520Alaska%2520539.jpg

2010%2520Trip%2520to%2520Alaska%2520540.jpg

Yes thats his place,less trees now,lots of firewood has come from his land.I think he has a saw in hand as long as he is awake.:msp_biggrin:

I only got to spend one day in Haines Junction on my trip out there but would really like to get back out there and do some exploring around that area and over around Kluane Nat Park.

I only got to spend one day in Haines Junction on my trip out there but would really like to get back out there and do some exploring around that area and over around Kluane Nat Park.

Let me know if you head this way,i could use a few pioneer parts.:msp_biggrin:
Lots of cutbacks at the park last summer,lots of long time employes got the ax.It will be interesting to see how it will affect the services they used to offer.
Thomas

Let me know if you head this way,i could use a few pioneer parts.:msp_biggrin:
Lots of cutbacks at the park last summer,lots of long time employes got the ax.It will be interesting to see how it will affect the services they used to offer.
Thomas

Will do and I can ship you Pioneer parts reasonably...LOL
That is sad to hear, I really enjoyed the time I spent at the visitor and interpretative center you have there for the Park. The displays inside are really nice and the staff was so helpful answering my constant string of questions. I had lunch at a place near Destruction Bay, I want to eat there again....LOL

Back