Had a good day with Dad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awsome tread makes me miss my dad passed at 55 taught me alot though,the bad he always waited till snow flew to cut wood ,worked alot, great memories now though subscribed:popcorn:

awsome tread makes me miss my dad passed at 55 taught me alot though,the bad he always waited till snow flew to cut wood ,worked alot, great memories now though subscribed:popcorn:

Yes, I'm very lucky and I do realize it. So many memories over the years of working together for a common goal.

We got it all hauled in today and will start splitting tomorrow. When it's all done probably have close to 190 cord under roof. Crazy to some but honestly just enjoy working outside in the woods. That and hate to see good wood rot up on the ground. Seems mother nature keeps bringing the storms that put them down. Have a bunch of fencerows that need to be done but that's just outside storage at the moment, we're pretty full up.

Enjoy working with your dad. I know I did for several years. Dad had a stroke right before christmas this year and while we got to keep him I am thinking his wood cutting and woods work is likely over. He isint going to take that well. I am just hoping that it isint as bad as it apears.

Regardless I plan to pass it onto my son and try to keep it alive.

Enjoy working with your dad. I know I did for several years. Dad had a stroke right before christmas this year and while we got to keep him I am thinking his wood cutting and woods work is likely over. He isint going to take that well. I am just hoping that it isint as bad as it apears.

Regardless I plan to pass it onto my son and try to keep it alive.

Prayers out to you and your family. So hard when this happens and makes it hit home what really matters.

Hello,
My friend works at JLG where your lift was made. They sure make nice lifts....wish I had one !!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Give my compliments to the chef! ;) I really like it as well. Have a lot of stuff we'll use it for in the future. At around 22,000 lbs it does have to be pretty dry to keep from tearing the ground up but when you own it, you can work around the weather. I keep looking at the HUGE hydraulic pumps on it and thinking what a monster splitter that would make!

MVC-017S.JPG

Kevin,
great thread, thanks for sharing.
Warms the heart, dad & son cutting together, you make some productive team the two of you!
Seems you worked out an efficient way of cutting, splitting, hauling - sure takes some cords to develop
your kong-fu style - takes common sense too!!
My envious appreciation !

SA

Kevin,
great thread, thanks for sharing.
Warms the heart, dad & son cutting together, you make some productive team the two of you!
Seems you worked out an efficient way of cutting, splitting, hauling - sure takes some cords to develop
your kong-fu style - takes common sense too!!
My envious appreciation !

SA

Yea, we have had a "little" practice ;)

This thread shows some of the stash:

http://www.arboristsite.com/picture-forum/87207.htm

We split a little over 6 cord this morning and probably going to stop for a while. Still about 10 cord to go but When the splitter is done I want something to play with ;)

This stack is about 8 1/2 ft high(my reach)

MVC-020S_9.JPG

MVC-019S_11.JPG

Reviving this old thread as I had a surprise this morning. I guess not a real surprise as I knew it would happen sometime and the Mayan calender was right for this tree. I had trimmed all of the dead out of it earlier as shown in the first pics and got the limbs that were pulling the weight towards my boiler house. Didn't want it to hit that when it fell. We had some pretty strong winds last night and it blew down the biggest portion of the tree.

MVC-021S_11.JPG

It's over 4 ft at the base and lots of good wood in it so none of it will go to waste. So close to the boiler I'll burn the brush and all. Laid down about as good as one could hope.

MVC-018S_32.JPG

MVC-019S_25.JPG

I'm thinking there will be well over 5 cords in tree. It's completely solid with no rot, it's just a growth/split line where it split down the middle. Whats standing probably won't stay up for long but I'll leave it in "air" storage for a while.

MVC-020S_20.JPG

Check out some of the first pics and it'll give you a scale of the size. I'm guessing tree was close to 200 years old. We have pics from 1905 and it was big then.

Ground finally dried out enough and decided to split up the ash that fell early in this thread. Had all the brush and small stuff cleaned up and just had the "to be split" stuff left. Sawed it all up and it really is nice stuff.

MVC-017F_2.JPG

MVC-018F_2.JPG

Not a huge amount of wood but good for a couple months of heat.

MVC-019F_1.JPG

Started at the far end and worked towards the stump. Getting ready to move here. We decided to just do splitting today so we could get it done. As we back the truck down the line we'll load it as we go to at least bring one load out when we're in the woods. Dad came down so I wanted to just get it done as he had other things to do.

MVC-021F.JPG

Camera messed up here for some reason. this was the last move with the 3' - 4' diameter stuff so we just threw it out the back as well.

MVC-022F.JPG

Catersplitter had some fun on this one and made it pretty easy. I'm guessing around 3 cord but I'll post the amount when I get it stacked in the boiler house. I stack it in there and burn it next year. Boiler house is just out of the picture so REAL nice and close. Rest of the tree will probably come down soon. Looks pretty frail standing there but it leaning hard up into the woods. It's in "air" storage now and when it comes down or completely dies I'll work it up. Weird how it broke off as that upper section is close to 3 ft in diameter.

Started loading the splits this morning and stacking them in the boiler house for next year.

MVC-019F_2.JPG

MVC-017F_3.JPG

First load here and it sure is nice wood. Didn't have far to go as you can see the boiler house just beyond the truck. Nice and close for once!

MVC-020F_1.JPG

Second load here

MVC-022F_1.JPG

3rd and final load for today as I have to go to work. Measured it out stacked and 3 loads came out to just over 3.5 cords. Not bad for one guy in just under 4 hours. Beautiful weather here today and nice to be out in it. Looks like maybe another 1/2 cord to go and if the weather holds it'll get done tomorrow.

Thread has brought back many memories of my dad and I cutting wood for the home heat. Stoppin for lunch and cooking hot dog over open fire all the while talking of days accomplishments. I guess the biggest regrete is I was young with a kids attitude and didnt realy have the interest in learnig what dad was trying to teach me. Sadly today there are many more times than not I would certainly like to ask dad a question that Im certain he tryed to teach me in the first place.
Even though I maintain wood cutting as a huge part of my life sure wish I had paid attention when dad tryed to show me !!

Latest posts

Back