hard time getting wood this year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I called the guy I got wood from last year (6 cords tree length)
he told me it was to early in the year and couldn't sell any beside his contracts. My neighbour beside has been getting his wood from the same guy for a few years and got some for my other neighbour across the road. I looked at the wood it was nice solid wood so I got the guys phone #.. I called him told him I wanted 6-8 cord dropped in my yard. He quoted me $130 per. and asked if I wanted small loads or 1 big 1 and said it would be a week or 2.

That was 2-3 months ago..

SO I called him tonight. I don't mind if the guy can't get me wood but I need to know because I have to get it done.. A.. it's got to be cut and split so it can dry for next year and ..BBB! I have a 1.5 year old and another kid on the way due in Sept.. I don't have alot of free time.

Anyway. He told me that since we've had such a wet year everything is swamped.. all the land he's looked at is way to wet for him to go in. He's a small operation just a couple guys but he said even the big guys are having a tought time. Unless the land owner doesn't care about getting his land torn up it's a ####ty year. Then he tells me His price might go up because his trucker is asking for more and the land owners are asking for more.

I called my buddy that runs a heavy equipment spring shop and heard the same thing. lots of trucks in with broken springs, frames and everything from hauling on the wet roads.

Geeze I might have to cut my own wood this year... but my woods are to swampy for me to get the wood out:bang:

anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:
I'm a scrounger so haven't paid for wood yet....

but congrats on the rugrat on the way!! I remember seeing pics of your daughter(?) in the baby carrier thing and she's right around my daughter's age.

I have not been able to convince my wife on #2, nevermind the acts required to begin :msp_ohmy:

Yep. The rainy weather sucks. Whenever I have free time it's only when its rainy or right after and then when its dry enough to get in the fields I'm hard at it till dark. I'm hopin to get out there soon. I haven't got much of a start yet. I got maybe 2 cords cut and uncut all together. Congrats on the little one on the way. My wifes due on the 21 of January so it needs to be toasty in here for sure.

Last edited:
It's wet here on the island, but not that wet. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble. A lot of guys here didn't get any cut last winter because of all the snow, but they are at it now.

I get mine for free from a tree service in Summerside so I'm ok. I'm at least two years ahead. Good luck.

It's wet here on the island, but not that wet. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble. A lot of guys here didn't get any cut last winter because of all the snow, but they are at it now.

I get mine for free from a tree service in Summerside so I'm ok. I'm at least two years ahead. Good luck.

Too bad you are always breaking files. :msp_w00t:

I feel for ya man, and I suspect a lot will be in the same boat but don't know it yet because they haven't tried to get any yet.

Up here it was a long winter with lots of snow cover, followed by a cold wet spring. Lots of loggers running hard and heavy now though.

I cut my own on my land, but I'm behind this year due to the weather mentioned above, but I have a bit of an ace in the hole: 70 acres getting logged a couple miles down the road from me this summer and permission to cut all the tops I want. I'm just gonna have to fight the skeeters for my wood this summer.

Best of luck finding a source soon!

I feel your pain! so to speak. Ben an unbelievably wet spring here too. I cut my own, and havn't been able to get in the woods yet, like a swamp.:( I usually cut and split about 15 cords, 4-5 for myself, and sell the rest to friends & neighbors.

I have one cord of split wood left from this last year, and a couple cord that hasn't been split yet. The woods was just starting to dry up with the 95 degree weather last week, but had a big frog strangler last night. So took a turn for the worse.

Gonna be a bunch of hot, skeeter infested days in the woods this summer I have a feeling.

:cheers:
Gregg,

My wood delivery was late but I got it last weekend so it's not too late! He was saying the same thing, the roads were too wet to travel on.

Delivered this 9 cord yesterday. Got 3 more to deliver this week.

0610111307_0001.jpg

0610111311a_0001.jpg

downsized_0610111311b.jpg

0610111317_0001.jpg

Today's rain notwithstanding, it's been DRY the past month. Dried out a logging road down into a swamp, finally have access to some damn fine oak.

Awfully swampy, like Dagobah. Keep expecting Yoda to pop out and say, "To the right, kerfing your cut is...overly sharpened on one side your chain, you have."

I was out on the ATV today and I see the large company's are cutting but they have some pretty solid roads to work off of. The guy I'm buying from is just a small operation so I can see his problem. He's suppsoed to call at the beginning of the week, hopefully he'll have good news and the price won't be to outrageous, If I had other contacts I'd be calling around.

We generally cut every 4 years and until this last winter fought rain and snow. This last winter we had 1 or 2 days we had to wait for the bean field to dry enough to get in.

We actually lost more days of cutting because of high winds blowing clouds of dust so hard you had to close your eye's. We ended up with right at 40 large wheat truck loads. I guess we're blessed that it's 1/8 mile from home and the land owner is grateful we maintain their old hedge rows.

Same here, it's rained for 2 months straight it seems. The logger I usually deal with is so far behind on orders it'll be awhile before I get a few loads. Got a bunch to cut off my own land but can't get near it....yet

I have yet to pull a load out of the bush this year.

Normally that would be tough going, but it looks like I will only have to supply one household for the next burning season. A few good loads with my trailer and I will be done.

The only source that I want to use is blocked off right now, and the ground everywhere else is saturated so much that I wouldn't want to take my diesel in there lest it sinks up to the frame.

Thanks to the tornado that went through our town, firewood has been easy to obtain this year. On the bitter end though, with all this wood laying around firewood sales are going to be very dismal this year I am sure. I hauled home a lot, and got most of it split and stacked, but I am thinking that as far as sales go I will be waiting until next year to cash in on it.But on the plus side, I have three years stacked up for the house, most of it being pecan and hickory.

Latest posts

Back