hard time getting wood this year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started to get in the woods but its real muddy and wet. Only have a cord or so cut and split. We just moved to CNY in October and went through 4.5 cords this past winter that I had to buy. Hopefully I wont have to buy any this winter :rock:

Thanks to the tornado that went through our town, firewood has been easy to obtain this year. On the bitter end though, with all this wood laying around firewood sales are going to be very dismal this year I am sure. I hauled home a lot, and got most of it split and stacked, but I am thinking that as far as sales go I will be waiting until next year to cash in on it.But on the plus side, I have three years stacked up for the house, most of it being pecan and hickory.

Same here... There will be no shortage of firewood this year that I can imagine. But things could change if they keep hauling the downed trees to the dump. :dunno:

I have yet to pull a load out of the bush this year.

Normally that would be tough going, but it looks like I will only have to supply one household for the next burning season. A few good loads with my trailer and I will be done.

The only source that I want to use is blocked off right now, and the ground everywhere else is saturated so much that I wouldn't want to take my diesel in there lest it sinks up to the frame.

Last time you got that thing stuck you had a bad experience.

Stay outta the mud.:msp_angry:

ya, the next one likely wont leave me in any kind of shape to do much of anything!

:cheers:
Just don't do anything like this....
1301530400.jpg

Hard time getting wood this year

I heard there's a pill for that, you should talk to your Doctor :msp_tongue:

Kiddin'

Kidding aside, I can't get up in the woods yet here since there is still a lot of snow. Kind of a bummer too since I have a new truck I want to try out. I expect getting into the woods may happen 30 days later than normal this year.

Kidding aside, I can't get up in the woods yet here since there is still a lot of snow. Kind of a bummer too since I have a new truck I want to try out. I expect getting into the woods may happen 30 days later than normal this year.

Wow. All we seemed to get when I lived there was lots of ice.

Amphib

--anyone ever use one of those six or eight wheel drive buggys? The kind that can actually float, go through water/mud/snow, etc? Was wondering how good they might be for a wood mobile. Now some are real small, but some I have seen online look like serious equipment.

Around here mud trucks are popular, I just got a start on a project, but...they hardly ever get used for work, just play toys. Mine will be used for point A to B, all season, git r done work truck.

Just wondering about those amphibs though..seem a neat concept and would solve the "no access to the woods" problem we all seem to run into.

--anyone ever use one of those six or eight wheel drive buggys? The kind that can actually float, go through water/mud/snow, etc? Was wondering how good they might be for a wood mobile. Now some are real small, but some I have seen online look like serious equipment.

Around here mud trucks are popular, I just got a start on a project, but...they hardly ever get used for work, just play toys. Mine will be used for point A to B, all season, git r done work truck.

Just wondering about those amphibs though..seem a neat concept and would solve the "no access to the woods" problem we all seem to run into.

Sounds like an <a href="http://www.argoatv.com/">argo</a>.

Those have a great ability to get through some bad stuff.

Good news I guess. If you can't get it from the loggers get it from someone else!

I talked to the FIL today, he and I grabbed a few cord out by him last year from a developer that was clearing building lot.I guess the guy is clearing more and I can probably get the wood for $90 a cord. Only thing is I have to drive the 40 min to get it. I can haul a cord with my trailer so it shouldn't be to to bad. Except for the fact that I don't have a truck anymore but I can borrow one. It's not so much the work but the time (which I'm running out of). If I don't hear from my wood guy by this weekend I'll going to start hauling some wood.

Holy crap.. So time is really not on my side this year.. this past weekend was my grandmothers 90th B-day, this weekend I have a wedding and the following week I have a week off (finally) Except so far I've collected about 1/2 cord form the contractor and from the looks of whats he's got I'd say it's 2 cord not 3.. I've cut maybe 3/4 -1 MAYBE.. So really I have no wood.. My plan at the begining of the year was to have this week to finish all my wood for the year before the new baby comes, that means cut,split and stacked.
So I thought I was catching a break this week when the guy I've been calling since April calls and says he can get wood, except it's now $140 a cord and the drivers (back hauling it?) which I think means he's hauling the softwood to the mill 1st then the hardwood? Then he says it's going to be maybe 3-4 weeks.. well that's great since my vacay is in 2 now.. Then on Monday I find another source for wood, this guy only wants $130 a cord so I told him lets do it, he gave me his email and said to email my address and he'd let me know. So I email him and add that I'd really like to have it before the 18th which is when my vacay starts. I get a repsonce 3 days later saying I'll talk to the driver and see if he can do the week of the 18th. Now to me the week on the 18th means anytime that freaking week.. I'm so far behind I don't even care now, Hopefully I can find a good source and start getting my wood early in the season because if the temperatures in the next few weeks are anything like they've been in the last few days I'm not getting my wood done until fall.. at least it's next years..

sorry long post..:msp_tongue:

Last edited:
ok, now take a deep breath and exhale.
i too have been behind this year.. still healing up from shoulder injury.. i get to feeling good for a week then wham. pulled a muscle in my neck...over compensating for the right shoulder.
now i feel like i have whiplash and still have to cut split stack all my wood for this next winter... besides put a roof on the house, repair two tractors put the flat bed on the truck finish body work and paint it. we fired two guys from the shop so now i am working six 12 hour days, plus six hours of therapy and doctors visits etc.etc etc...i know how you feel...
my uncle got cancer in his jaw of some sort so we liquidated all the cattle four weeks ago so we both dont have to mess with that. but the hay is still growing... still have 1/4 load on the wagon from first cutting and second cutting to be baled next week. pens to clean, manure to haul fences to move etc. and i got a call for a job tonight a guy want's his blazer fixed from a crash.. well drop it off we will work it in somehow...
is cloning legal yet???? :bang::bang:

Now, just ain’t that the truth… When the task(s) appear overwhelming it’s time to take that breath, remain calm, and start pluggin’ away. Kind’a like the old saying; “When you’re up to your ass in alligators, it is easy to forget that the original objective was to drain the swamp.” Or one more my dad always said when I’d complain about the amount of work needing to get done; “Son, when ya’ stop havin’ problems and headaches, ya’ probably ain’t makin’ any money.”

Start grabbing pallets

Holy crap.. So time is really not on my side this year.. this past weekend was my grandmothers 90th B-day, this weekend I have a wedding and the following week I have a week off (finally) Except so far I've collected about 1/2 cord form the contractor and from the looks of whats he's got I'd say it's 2 cord not 3.. I've cut maybe 3/4 -1 MAYBE.. So really I have no wood.. My plan at the begining of the year was to have this week to finish all my wood for the year before the new baby comes, that means cut,split and stacked.
So I thought I was catching a break this week when the guy I've been calling since April calls and says he can get wood, except it's now $140 a cord and the drivers (back hauling it?) which I think means he's hauling the softwood to the mill 1st then the hardwood? Then he says it's going to be maybe 3-4 weeks.. well that's great since my vacay is in 2 now.. Then on Monday I find another source for wood, this guy only wants $130 a cord so I told him lets do it, he gave me his email and said to email my address and he'd let me know. So I email him and add that I'd really like to have it before the 18th which is when my vacay starts. I get a repsonce 3 days later saying I'll talk to the driver and see if he can do the week of the 18th. Now to me the week on the 18th means anytime that freaking week.. I'm so far behind I don't even care now, Hopefully I can find a good source and start getting my wood early in the season because if the temperatures in the next few weeks are anything like they've been in the last few days I'm not getting my wood done until fall.. at least it's next years..

sorry long post..:msp_tongue:

Just start dragging home pallets everyday coming back from work. Find a route that works and grab 'em if you can, then get some pawnshop circular saws and start cutting them up as you get them. It's wood. Had a friend back during the oil crisis in the 70s was being killed by home heating oil costs, had an old wood heater he drug outta his shed, reinstalled it, started grabbing the pallets wherever. Got his sons to cut them up when they got home from school. This was emergency in the winter action, worked for him.

Another alternative is call up all the local wood sellers and tree service places, see if they will give you a deal on oddball chunks,. grade B species, etc. Then, noodle away at home. Fifteen minutes here and there adds up.

Those lesser species..take advantage of wood snobbery, I bet if you tell sellers you will take the non pretty chunks and crotches and lesser species you can get huge amounts dumped in your drive for cheap.

i too have been behind this year.. still healing up from shoulder injury.. i get to feeling good for a week then wham. pulled a muscle in my neck...over compensating for the right shoulder.
now i feel like i have whiplash and still have to cut split stack all my wood for this next winter... besides put a roof on the house, repair two tractors put the flat bed on the truck finish body work and paint it. we fired two guys from the shop so now i am working six 12 hour days, plus six hours of therapy and doctors visits etc.etc etc...i know how you feel...
my uncle got cancer in his jaw of some sort so we liquidated all the cattle four weeks ago so we both dont have to mess with that. but the hay is still growing... still have 1/4 load on the wagon from first cutting and second cutting to be baled next week. pens to clean, manure to haul fences to move etc. and i got a call for a job tonight a guy want's his blazer fixed from a crash.. well drop it off we will work it in somehow...
is cloning legal yet???? :bang::bang:

If you were closer I'd help you with the hay and take some off your hands, That's another thing I have to do soon!

Good news is I've Confirmed wood delivery for Saturday, just not sure if it's this Saturday or next!

Back