Hard to compare 2-stroke oil mix... or, what is in the blue goo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windthrown

361 Junkie
Reaction score
I was at a Stihl dealer in the Portland area today waiting for a chain to be made and I looked around at the blue goo mix. Reading the back of the orange bottle stuff has no information on testing standards. Then I picked up a six pack of the Ultra and it had a dark stretch plastic covering on the text on the back of the bottles. Then I picked up a six pack of the best oil mix that they have and that also had a dark stretch plastic covering on the text on the back of the bottles. Seems to me that they do not want me to read the back of the bottles... Also noticed the same thing at the Husky dealer in Eugene a week ago. Big grey bottles of oil mix had no information on testing standards qualifications on the bottles there. Has me wondering... :confused:

I have been using Castrol 2T which is JASO FB. Seems to work fine. Cheap too. I may switch to Power Care (Home Depot) that is JASO FC (better standard for less smoke and less muffler screen clogging, and more detergent; lube for FB is the same as FC).

Last edited:
windthrown.. this is what i know about the different oils, so if i'm wrong anyone forgive me i'm going by what the salesman told me!! the ultra is synthetic and he said the reason they did that was for the small engines that don't run wide open because they carbon up easier. He said chainsaws run fine on the orange bottle stuff. When i bought my saw I got a pack of the bottles to mix with 5 gallons of gas.. should last a while but the reason i did is because the synthetic is a little under douple the price of the orange!! As far as testing.. i don't know, I didn't read the bottles. Just going by what the salesman said. Hope this helps.

Back