Has this ever happened to you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I know why you think everyone who disagrees with you or mocks you is a drunk! One of your responses to me and Absolute, I dont drink , d u m b a s s !Sounds like you do tho. Why is it you think everyone is (TUI) your words. BTW, Are you ever gonna be an Arborist?
Jeff :mad:

I'll be an arborist, Jeff. That's not the question.

The problem I get with my spikes is that the bar twists around in the leather, and screws up the integrity of the leather and my legs. What do you suppose makes them stop? I was thinking the aluminum pads might, but I assume that those wolf claws have the support in the back for that purpose. Is that right?

There not tight enough , you may also wanna try to wrap the calf strap once around the leg iron it keeps them from moving back and forth on your leg , They should be tight enough to almost cut off the circulation and your padding should fall between your knee and your calf muscle that way when the muscle flexes they stay put..I also have put wash clothes on my calf pads from time to time between the pad and my leg for a little extra padding they bite into your pants and the leather and old towel would work the same ..

Last edited:
There not tight enough , you may also wanna try to wrap the calf strap once around the leg iron it keeps them from moving back and forth on your leg , They should be tight enough to almost cut off the circulation and your padding should fall between your knee and your calf muscle that way when the muscle flexes they stay put..I also have put wash clothes on my calf pads from time to time between the pad and my leg for a little extra padding they bite into your pants and the leather and old towel would work the same ..

I have the velcro wrap, knee pads I used for baseball that I wrap underneath the pads to keep from getting bruises. There cheap. I bought them at Wal-Mart.

I've got my pads at about mid calf, but it reads like you climb your pads as high as you can go below the knee. That's the best way then?

I have the velcro wrap, knee pads I used for baseball that I wrap underneath the pads to keep from getting bruises. There cheap. I bought them at Wal-Mart.

I've got my pads at about mid calf, but it reads like you climb your pads as high as you can go below the knee. That's the best way then?

The top of my pad is right at the bottom of my knee , The straps sit above the largest part of my calf muscle this keeps them tight to my boot , I like them real tight then my leg doesn't get chaffed..

actually......

Sounds good. Have you tried all of these?

I have been using the Velcro wraps for about 5 years.I love them.I tried the geckos and they were nice but were not set up for me.I would buy a set.never used the aluminum ones but I don't see how they wouldn't be an improvement over what you have now.I just can't see how anyone can live with those leather pads.

gee.....

Sure sounds like a lot of work just to be comfortable.no thanks.I like throw them on Anne go.

Sure sounds like a lot of work just to be comfortable.no thanks.I like throw them on Anne go.

ITs just a preference for me I have the pads too , didn't like them they felt loose and the saw dust buildup made me itch and burn , I like my spikes so tight that my feet go numb , plus they stay with my boot...

I had a cop do something similiar to me once. As someone had mentioned it was a civil matter so he was way out of line. At first I was all "yes sir, no sir" but he kept going on and on. Finally I just lost it and then somehow the tables turned and I was dominating the conversation. He, nor the other person ever bothered me again.

I think you did the right thing and hopefully coming on here to rant made you feel better.

I had a cop do something similiar to me once. As someone had mentioned it was a civil matter so he was way out of line. At first I was all "yes sir, no sir" but he kept going on and on. Finally I just lost it and then somehow the tables turned and I was dominating the conversation. He, nor the other person ever bothered me again.

I think you did the right thing and hopefully coming on here to rant made you feel better.

I think so do, and I think I would have done the same in your situation...and it did feel good to rant :)

Wow! Funny way threads turn and twist. LOL

Cody, The guy that called you could end up in a world of hurt trying to fall back on having been an Lt. in Army way back when. A cull like that needs a pruning he'll remember. You were way nice about it and that is NOT a bad thing at all. You did good.

Being a cop myself I know that the first thing you do is fully identify yourself and your agency and your legal basis for being involved. Anything less and you own all the trouble you get yourself in.

On one occasion I had a neighbor getting mad at me about "damage" he said we had caused. I knew that his falling down shed was there before hand and had zero, zilch, nada, to do with the tree we took down. He gets all connected and authoritative sounding, implying that he held some rank in local law enforcement. Poor SOB didn't know I was sworn LEO doing tree work off duty; and I pretty well recognized all the cops around to boot.

I pushed him a little, hoping he'd just make an outright claim, but he never did. Then I told him that he was violating the law about inpersonating an officer. I told him the jail time that carried. I told him he knew the shed was already damaged and he would not scam me or my company. I had that guy crawling and saying how sorry he was in a few short minutes. Never did tell him I was cop; I always like to hold a little something in reserve. ;)

Mr. HE:cool:

Here is something that I have learned:

Always do an assessment before you begin work and look for dings in gutters, shingle damage, falling down shed, whatnot. Not only on your clients property but on the neighboring property. Especially if you are having to lower stuff from over the neighboring property. If you see anything that they could claim as damage, GET PICS BEFORE HAND!!! Try to get them with the tree in the forefront before you touch it. I carry a camera with me for insurance claims on storm work. I'll often take pics of the damage for my clients and sometimes will deal directly with the agent on faxing the pics and even pricing the job. It always pays to keep a camera handy in our line of work.

Wow! Funny way threads turn and twist. LOL

Cody, The guy that called you could end up in a world of hurt trying to fall back on having been an Lt. in Army way back when. A cull like that needs a pruning he'll remember. You were way nice about it and that is NOT a bad thing at all. You did good.

Being a cop myself I know that the first thing you do is fully identify yourself and your agency and your legal basis for being involved. Anything less and you own all the trouble you get yourself in.

On one occasion I had a neighbor getting mad at me about "damage" he said we had caused. I knew that his falling down shed was there before hand and had zero, zilch, nada, to do with the tree we took down. He gets all connected and authoritative sounding, implying that he held some rank in local law enforcement. Poor SOB didn't know I was sworn LEO doing tree work off duty; and I pretty well recognized all the cops around to boot.

I pushed him a little, hoping he'd just make an outright claim, but he never did. Then I told him that he was violating the law about inpersonating an officer. I told him the jail time that carried. I told him he knew the shed was already damaged and he would not scam me or my company. I had that guy crawling and saying how sorry he was in a few short minutes. Never did tell him I was cop; I always like to hold a little something in reserve. ;)

Mr. HE:cool:

I love calling people on their b.s.! I bet that was fun!

nice lil old lady has me kill a red oak for her end of july-early aug. nice as pie. tell her cant come back for the logs were doin a brush clear out literally rigth aronud the corner. told her where wed be. got done to see theres 4 missed calls on the cell. she threw a hissy fit. called back 3 weeks later wantin me to remove a snapped cable in another oak 4 nothing. told her with a smile on my face , we get paid to put em up, and to take em down. Cheap arse old folks always pisd the world changed on em and want a deal on ev thang

nice lil old lady has me kill a red oak for her end of july-early aug. nice as pie. tell her cant come back for the logs were doin a brush clear out literally rigth aronud the corner. told her where wed be. got done to see theres 4 missed calls on the cell. she threw a hissy fit. called back 3 weeks later wantin me to remove a snapped cable in another oak 4 nothing. told her with a smile on my face , we get paid to put em up, and to take em down. Cheap arse old folks always pisd the world changed on em and want a deal on ev thang

Please elaborate.
Jeff
I can't believe I was actually able to read that!:cheers:

I know how ya feel Cody. You want to have the job done right.

I'm just starting out and learning really quick that itemizing every frickin detail about the job really pays off. Having it all in writing and having them sign off. I also take pics when anything is questionable. In the end all they really care about is making it look like nothing happened. I give every one the same rates for the job. To me its what is going to take to get it done and make something at the end of the day.

I did one at a condo complex a few weeks ago where 3 people from the condo association and I literally narrowed 4-5 branches down on each tree to be removed. It went like "should we take this branch, no that branch," and so on. We looked over 6 trees and what should have taken about 15 min ran for over an hour. I just sat there quietly taking notes, thinking wow this outa be interesting. They also insisted several times that the residents would drag branches to the curb for the city to pick up. I told them I would rather just do the work and they insisted. I said ok and wrote all the specifics down and had them sign. Day of the job comes and the president of the association does help drag branches on the first tree, but disappears during the second. No one else shows up. She also had me take down a lot more than what they agreed on. Well, who could have guessed it. She was the final say so I felt comfortable doing it. I figured the cost the same if I was doing all the work or not and it turned out I did do the majority of it. Whatever, in the end I got paid and everyone "seemed" happy.

Back