help deciding on next saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkertk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Okay, First I want to say hey to everyone and it's nice to be here.
I've been cutting 10-12 cord of firewood a year as well as occasional storm damage work for the last 20 years with a Stihl 042AV and an older Pioneer Farmsaw both with 20" bars. As funny as it may sound to some, I actually love the old Pioneer and do most of my work with it but, I want to move up to something bigger. I've been looking at the Husky's and Stihl's but am undecided. I just haven't been able to compare many under power so it's tough. I'd like to get something that will adequately handle at least a 32" bar.

I would like to get some suggestions on saws that can be found (used) that are in at least the mid 70-80 cc range that would be a step up with good speed and plenty of power. I was thinking something like the 065 or 066's on the Stihl side but don't know much about the Husky's. I have seen a number of the 262 and 272xp Husky's around and they seem to be pretty well liked.

I'm also a tinkerer so I'm sure whatever I get will eventually be gone through from top to bottom.

recomendations?

A 066/660 would be a good saw in that size range. Used they are usually in the $5-600 range. They will run a 32 or 36" bar. I was thinking of selling mine to get a new jonsered 2188.

I really want to try and go the Husky route but the Stihls are so much more popular around here and there is a larger Stihl service center within 15 miles of me for when the inevitable need to buy parts comes around.
I've run plenty of different sized Stihls so what's the biggest difference in the feel between comparable Stihl and Husky saws. I've heard that the Husky's seem to have a higher chain speed but that the Stihls feel smoother in the hand. I've also heard that the Stihls have more bottom end power but the Husky's are more power on the top end.:dizzy:

What's your opinion about the feel. You know that feel is avery important thing when it comes to something that your going to spend a lot of time hanging onto and putting out good hard earned cash for.

I'm flying out for south Texas in the morning so I'll be away for the better part of a week and then I have to make up my mind. I've got a guy that sent me some pics of a 395 that looks sweet and I think it's a fair price, I just need to decide and hope I don't wait to long and miss the ones I've found:buttkick:

Thanks for any input

i just got a 066. i ported it and put new rings in it and the compression is only 125 but even with this low compression it drags a 32" bar in decent sized wood very well.
dawg it in and it just butters through the wood. vibration isnt bad at all not near as bad as everyone makes them out to be atleast on my saw.

Unless your a little guy you wont be dissapointed with a Husky 395. It will run any bar you want. If you found a good deal on one you should jump on it.

saws

Ive bean running stihl for a long time and just got a jonsered slightly smaller in cc. but it is stronger faster and smoother then my stihl by fare the stihl is much newer also

Back