Help IDing an old husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrg

Reaction score
Hi,
My unkle and I found this old guy when cleaning out his garage. As you can see it's missing the bar/chain and I'd like to know how big of a bar I should put on. It runs just fine too.

thanks, :cheers:

239408570.jpg

239408568.jpg

239408567.jpg

It looks to be in decent shape. Is there a Husky dealer near where you live (or a good saw shop)? I'd run it by them for a check before buying a bar/chain. They will know all about it and can quickly tell you if it is worth messing around with.

Lotta those are Frankensaws. Looks like it has a manual oiler on the left side of the handle, so it really could be a 2100. It could, however, be a 2100 tank on a number of other saws. The two-part top cover also is stock on a 2100. The stock 480 had a solid top cover. I think you should send it to me for further identification.

Bet a dollar it's a 2100, look on the case right behind bucking spike(just above where the bar runs into the saw there will be a tag, should say "type 2100" then have serial #. BTW these are the worst saws husky ever built, I'd hate to see you get frustrated with chainsaws in general because of 1 bad one. I'll tell you what, I'll give you my address and you can ship it to me and I will make sure that no one will ever have to go through the frustration of owning one of these saws!:biggrinbounce2: Seriuosly if it runs, give her a good tune up, pull off the covers and blow out all of the cooling fins,check the drive sprocket and bar oiler. if yer gonna use her for firewood, I have a 28" 3/8 .058 on mine for that and for bigger stuff i run a 36"er. Will handle both very well, and if you really wanna have fun throw on a 24"er and go buck some firewwod! good luck!P.S. If this is your first manual oiler don't forget to pump that little knob to the left of the trigger when yer feedin her! Made thatr rookis mistake years ago and pretty much cost me a bar. Good luck with her and let us know how she runs.

Looks like a good limbing saw

2100Cd my guess also.
My 480Cd doen't have a manual oiler and the top cover is different.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

When we first saw we thought wow this thing has got to be seized its so dam old but sure enough we gave it a couple pulls and it had lots of compression. So I brought it back to my place put in some fresh gas and on about the fourth or fifth pull it started up.

I took it all apart and can’t find a model number but there is a decent husky dealer nearby and I’ll take it to them to find out more.

I figure it’ll be perfect for getting firewood, my 141 is just too small :D

once again thanks a lot :cheers:

You know that saw is just wayyyy too big for cutting firewood,You really should be looking for someone with a 480 to trade.:laugh:

You guys got it all wrong, its a wolf in sheep's clothing, a 136 disguised as a 2100!
No in all seriousness it looks to definitely be a 2100 CD.
Only 2 things confuse me about it, is the muffler exit and the flat brace on the full wrap handle. I have used and seen a lot of 2100's and I have never seen these type of accessories.
:buttkick: :D

It looks lie either q 210 cd ora 285 hardto ell as they are similar ookingsaws my guess it its a 2100 .

get the thing checked out cleand up and ifall you wanto do icut fire wood fia 20 -28 incghe bar will work the saw will porbably take a 404 bchain but can be changeed to a 3/8 if youhave a good mechanich do not do this yourself
i wouoldal;o see if you can get a brake put on it they ar powerful saw and it would nothuth for ththe mony you spend it is worth it .

Judging by the full wrap, I would guess you are either from BC, or the saw originated here. That makes it a good bet that it is a 2100, as they are a very common older falling saw. Why carry the same weight in a 480 or 285, when you could have the higher power of a 2100?

Judging by the full wrap, I would guess you are either from BC, or the saw originated here. That makes it a good bet that it is a 2100, as they are a very common older falling saw. Why carry the same weight in a 480 or 285, when you could have the higher power of a 2100?

TimberPig is 100% correct, that 2100 will outcut,outlast, & has more balls than any saw out there. Now let the flaming begin, I don't think anyone could bog this saw down, with a sharp chain, fresh gas, & a clean air filter. I have ran Stihls,Dolmars,Pioneers, & Jonsereds this saw was & is the King of 6 cu.in. saws (my personal opinion).
:bowdown: :jawdrop:

How about the 285CD - I believe it is impossible to distinguish a 285 and 2100 from each other from the outside?

1. The 285 never came with a manual oiler as far as I know.
2. The 480 has a one piece top cover.
3. That handle bar is weird but I bet its just a homebuilt repair.
4. The muffler looks like its off a 1100cd.

Its a 2100 assuming its original except for the muffler. You wont know for sure without measuring the cylinder bore.

:confused: Aren't the 480 a good bit lighter?????

Edit;

Yes, it is, at least according to CSCC.....

Not enough to make up for the power difference.

Without measuring the bore and stroke, we are still just guessing, but no faller here in BC is going to drop from 100cc down to 80cc, for a few ounces of weight saved.

Back