Help Me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criicket

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for anyone who can help me reduce the heating costs at my commercial dog kennel.# This is the third winter that I have spent close to 20K heating my 81 run inside/outside dog kennel with propane.# We are already at 16K for this winter and it is only the beginning of March.# All of the extra funds we save from the busy summer months all goes toward paying for the heating costs in the winter.# The previous owners did very little to heat the kennels.# I refuse to let my dogs suffer.# We currently have large Resnor heaters hanging from the ceilings.# The dog doors have been kept closed at night to help keep everyone warm.# Throughout the day I have been opening them every two hours for a 20 minute potty break.# This is the first winter we have done this "closing of the doors" throughout the day....and it still isn't making a difference.# I am looking into installing a CENTRAL BOILER unit for my multiple kennel buildings (3 buildings)...but I have little knowledge about them.# I need to know if it will be a wise investment.# I currently sit on 5 acres. About 2/3 of it is wooded.# At my residence, I heat with a wood-burner in the house.# It's great, we have a furnace just in case we go away for long periods of time...but the cost of propane is ridiculous.# The furnace hasn't kicked on at all this winter.# I need to find a better way to heat my dog kennels, I cannot do any maintenance or up keep to my kennels because I'm spending all of my funds heating it in the winter.# Can anyone give me advice?

What temp are you heating the building? Is the structure insulated?

If I were building a kennel and pouring a concrete slab, I would install radiant floor heat. maybe a possibility as a retrofit.

How about some weathertight dog doors? People install such things on their homes don't they?

5 acres isn't going to give you enough free wood to run an OWB.

Just trying to brainstorm.

I believe the days of cheap oil(propane) are over.
I would build(buy) small dog houses to put in each kennel and let the dogs body heat keep it warm. The dog house should be just big enough for them to lay down in with a door just big enough to fit through. Use straw, wood shavings or blankets on the floors.
If the dog is a breed that doesn't do well in cold weather, then put a small heat lamp in their dog house or kennel.

Thanks for your input...

I have thought of all of these ideas too. First of all I have large buildings to heat...none of which are insulated. They are simply block buildings with concrete floors. I hope to someday remove all of the chainlink kennels inside and place radiant floor heating coils but that entails another enormous expense, installing new kennel units. I have found the perfect doggie door (airtight) to replicate, but need to set aside funds to do this too. Remember I have 81 doggie doors, each door costs $150 to purchase. That's a huge expense. I'm trying to replicate the design to fit my large doggie door openings...finding people to create my doggie doors have been tiring and unsuccessful. I also have to think about ways to insulate my buildings. One problem is that we have outside dog kennels, which means that if I insulate with some sort of siding, I will need one that is virtually impossible for dogs to destroy. When my kennel building are closed up at night, I can honestly say that the dogs are warm. It stays about 65 degrees in the buildings, but the Resnors never turn off. The heat is simply seeping out of the concrete block walls. Does anyone know whether or not my investment into an OWB will keep this amount of warmth in my kennel...will I need to chuck it full of wood like every hour, every 2 hours...or what? I have 3 buildings to heat...what do large commercial warehouses and such use to heat with? If I purchase the largest unit, will it actually keep all 3 buildings warm? I guess...what I'm saying is does it really produce the same quantity of heat as my Resnors? Can I use my Resnors as the blowing source-or will I have to install other equipment to get the heat spread throughout my kennels?
Oh, and as for the small dog houses...believe me, this has crossed my mind....the problem is is that many of our guests are house dwelling dogs. They have no clue what a dog house is or know what warmth it could bring if they were to enter it. We provide blankets to our guests, but straw would keep them warmer in a doghouse...but straw contains MITES...I can't send the dogs home with mites. I have installed that heavy plastic strapping that you see in Lowe's and Home Depot (between their building and warehouse areas) but the dogs have a ball with it. I have spent $1200 just this winter replacing the stuff. The dogs think of it as their very own chew-toy. Sorry for the long post...just hoping to get answers.

i still would try and get, or build, some type of inside dog house--as he said--just big enough for the dog to fit in--their own warmth for heat---wouldnt have to heat anything--any other option is going to keep you broke for a long time, woodheat notwithstanding------

A nuclear reactor is not going to heat open space which is nearly what you've described. You'll need to get some insulation on those walls in the form of those pink inch thick or better slabs for starters, then possibly some large fans up above circulating the heat down. Obviously you don't have to have it 70 degrees but first off get the ability too keep some of the heat, then look at the actual heat source.

Hmm pictures would be nice to get a better idea what we are talking about. Possibly size the bedding area to the dog so that there is not too unneeded room including ceiling hight as heat goes up. Use water heat to heat just the bedding area (room). Definitely insulate they make insulation that you can pour into block walls. I hate to mention it because its a fire hazard. But the Amish used to use two feet of sawdust to insulate the ice they would cut in the winter for cooling in the summer. I was told that it would keep the ice frozen for two years.

Billy

Would it be possible to make the dog doors out of a piece of lexan mounted on a hinge? I would think the dogs would fogure out by pushing on it that it will open. Could a spray foam insulation contractor drill into the block walls and fill them with foam? You would have some insulation value and still have the durability of a block wall.

Robert

maybe it's time to sell the dogs.

at 20k per year, they better be laying gold eggs for you.

but, if you insist on keeping them....maybe line the inside walls with 2" thick styrofoam boards. they come in 2' x 8' sheets...tongue and groove and are about $13 per sheet at home depot.
glue them right to the walls and make them air tight at all seams and corners.

then cover those with plywood so the dogs don't chew the foam.

i'll assume you have the ceilings insulted already.

as for the floor.....put in a pex flooring and use the OWB to run heat thru that.

or, keep buying more propane.

Last edited:
Typical spray foam insulation produces too much pressure as it cures and will crack the block as it expands. There are several companies that specialize in wall cavity insulation. Try a search for "Core Fill". We use it on some retail projects where there is no reasonable way to insulate either interior or exterior of a wall.

Beyond that, it is important to limit the volume of the space being conditioned. In utility type buildings, sheds, barns, kennels, etc, most heat escapes vertically, through the uninsulated roof structure. Installing an insulated ceiling (assuming there isn't one now) will reduce the volume of air to condition and provide a barrier for containing the heated air.

Once that is done, you can heat however you like. I have done two animal shelter jobs. In one, underslab radiant heat was used. In the other, a forced air system was used. Both functioned well.

How much are you paying for your fuel per gallon?

Large Outdoor Wood Boiler.......go buy $2000 worth of wood and buck it yup your self and start pitching.

Thats the idea I have. Your guys think thats bad for 20 days a farmer I know just spent $30,000 on propane to dry his corn.....20 DAYS!!!!!

How much are you paying for your fuel per gallon?

Large Outdoor Wood Boiler.......go buy $2000 worth of wood and buck it yup your self and start pitching.

Thats the idea I have. Your guys think thats bad for 20 days a farmer I know just spent $30,000 on propane to dry his corn.....20 DAYS!!!!!

sheesh...no wonder why i'm paying almost $8 for a box of cereal.

Criicket,
The first thing you need to do is determine where the majority of your heat loss is occuring. You will lose heat through your block walls, but not NEARLY as much as you will through an improperly/ non insulated roof system. What does your roof system consist of on your kennels? If they are not insulated, are they capable of being so? (finished ceiling with adequate room between that and rafters to add insulation. I have a lot of experience in this area as I am a residential building contractor in Michigan. I'd be glad to help you out in any way possible.

Typical spray foam insulation produces too much pressure as it cures and will crack the block as it expands. There are several companies that specialize in wall cavity insulation. Try a search for "Core Fill". We use it on some retail projects where there is no reasonable way to insulate either interior or exterior of a wall.

Beyond that, it is important to limit the volume of the space being conditioned. In utility type buildings, sheds, barns, kennels, etc, most heat escapes vertically, through the uninsulated roof structure. Installing an insulated ceiling (assuming there isn't one now) will reduce the volume of air to condition and provide a barrier for containing the heated air.

Once that is done, you can heat however you like. I have done two animal shelter jobs. In one, underslab radiant heat was used. In the other, a forced air system was used. Both functioned well.

Fecrousejr,
Oops, Missed your post. +1 I think he'll be on the right track.

Wow...everyone listened.

I step away for a few hours and I have so many ideas. I better start reading so I can respond. Thanks!

maybe it's time to sell the dogs.

at 20k per year, they better be laying gold eggs for you.

but, if you insist on keeping them....maybe line the inside walls with 2" thick styrofoam boards. they come in 2' x 8' sheets...tongue and groove and are about $13 per sheet at home depot.
glue them right to the walls and make them air tight at all seams and corners.

then cover those with plywood so the dogs don't chew the foam.

i'll assume you have the ceilings insulted already.

as for the floor.....put in a pex flooring and use the OWB to run heat thru that.

or, keep buying more propane.

Okay, so now you guys know it's a chic trying to do all of this...that is why I'm clueless. I agree with insulating the wall, I believe that is my first priority. Plywood is not dog-proof...must find another material to cover the isulating sheets....any ideas?

Kennel Type

My kennel is for commercial purposes...I can't sell the dogs-they don't belong to me. :)

Would it be possible to make the dog doors out of a piece of lexan mounted on a hinge? I would think the dogs would fogure out by pushing on it that it will open. Could a spray foam insulation contractor drill into the block walls and fill them with foam? You would have some insulation value and still have the durability of a block wall.

Robert

Do they actually fill block walls with insulation? I never really thought of that...thanks.

Back