Help picking 2nd/3rd saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger35

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know you're thinking another first post saw question and you may be somewhat right lol. I've been lurking for quite a while but finally decided to join because I really enjoy working with my saws and timber.

My dilemma is picking a new limbing and 2nd saw in the arsenal. Currently I run a Stihl MS311 and a 180C. I mostly cut oak and pecan wood for firewood to sell as well as my own smoking wood. So far this year I've cut 3-4 cords. I work shift work so every day off I usually go and find something to cut. Anything from downed trees, to felling and bucking myself.

I like the 311 but a lot of times its just not needed and find even if it takes a little longer, overall on the back the 180c is nicer. Anyway to the good stuff, the 180C is just a little underpowered and I hate the quick adjust chain tension. Here were my options:

Stihl 241/261
Dolmar 421
Echo undecided on model

I have Stihl and Echo dealers within 10 minutes of my house. I really like the idea of the M-tronic and having a servicing dealer close to me is nice, but not technically a deal breaker as I'm sure they would work on other brands. I have read a lot about the Dolmar, everything good and the price point for a pro-like saw is awesome but 0 local dealers around. Can get the Dolmar for half the cost of the Stihl since no sales tax. I've used the Echo Timberwolf and was impressed, but can't decide on a model to compare these to. Was thinking maybe the 361p. I'm really looking for something lightweight, more power than the 180 but not as heavy as the 311.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of jealous of you guys up north with all the wood you get to cut. I really enjoy working with the saws. Up next hopefully once I recoup some money is a new splitter to replace this MTD splitter.

You have AS, why would you need a dealer?

If you can get the 421 at half the cost of a Stihl it seems like the logical choice.

Have you thought about an MS250? Best power to weight ratio around, it's my go to limb saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't given the 250 much thought. Just looked and noticed it was lighter than the 421. I'll use the lighter saw a much as possible and thought it may be better to get a pro saw this go, or at least more pro-like considering the 421 isn't a full pro saw.

Another thing I started weighing with the 421 and would also ring true for the MS 250 is the ability to buy spare chains and a bar. And I've been putting off getting an electric sharpener which could all be purchased for less than just the price of the 241/261.

I guess to clarify, I will cut as much wood as possible for me to. Whether that means 10 cords or 20, whatever I get for free I'll take.

An Ms-261 is as big and heavy as a 60cc saw should be, but would still be lighter than your Ms-311.

241 would probably do well for you. Husqvarna has hit a nice sweet spot in terms of power and price and size and weight with the 545 for a guy who doesn't need the extras that the 550xp offers. And everybody seems to like the 421 Dolmar.

I would go so far as to suggest that if you could swing the coin, getting something like a light 50cc machine and getting it ported would allow you to sell off your 311, as you would have a saw that was both stronger than the 311 and lighter than it, also. For me, this concept has taken the form of ported 346xps and obsoleted pretty much all of my small saws - it is a touch heavier but way faster - and made the need for a 60cc machine disappear. Food for thought, anyway.

I added a clean used 346xp to my stable this year from an AS member. It is the saw I select for everything less than 18" in diameter. Keep the chain sharp and it does not disappoint.

I suspect an MS260 would fit the bill also.

My goto team is a 40 & 60cc combo, others choose the 50 & 70cc class. I find the 50cc class on average one size too big for my type of small size easy limbing and felling saw. I find the 421 to be one of the best deals out there by far!

In the 60cc class I find the Dolmar 6100 VERY attractice, although heavier than a other 60cc saws I find it has other bonuses that outweigh that. Other good options would be the Husqvarna 555 or Jonsered equivalent, further the Echo 590 seems to fill the "best buy" category! I would without a doubt feel comfortable with any of them.

Since I am no pro, I KNOW I will never be able to use the pro saws to their full potential, so I don't need any pro model from the top two producers for crazy amounts of money.I KNOW at the end of the day I won't have cut a single twig more ...

Update:

I stopped in a local Stihl dealer just to look as I had already ordered the Dolmar online since there are no dealers within a few hours of me. The dealer is so friendly, and once I picked up a 261 and compared it to a 311 they had in stoclass i walked out of the with it in 16" bar.

Cut a couple limbs with it and man the power to weight ratio is amazing. The saw balances really well. The PS-421 will be here Tuesday and I think I am going to keep it as well instead of paying return shipping. Since I don't want to run 3/8 on the 261 I will have to get me a 20" bar and chain to use if/when I sell the 311. I feel like having the 261 and 421 in 16" will make it to hard to decide which to use.

Thanks for all of the input guys. Even as a new member this site has been helpful already.

So now you have a 180c, a ms311, a ms261, and a ps421. So much for merely a 2nd/3rd saw!

Oh, yeah, you now also have CAD!

Well if you ever want to sell the 421 let me know. Lol but I have never seen a used 421 for sale.

I hadn't given the 250 much thought. Just looked and noticed it was lighter than the 421. I'll use the lighter saw a much as possible and thought it may be better to get a pro saw this go, or at least more pro-like considering the 421 isn't a full pro saw.
Not sure where ya got your info but the 421 is a pro saw and a very awesome one at that. Especially for its price. :)

Well if you ever want to sell the 421 let me know. Lol but I have never seen a used 421 for sale.

I need to sell that one or the 311. I wouldn't mind having two light weight saws, but it makes more sense for me to sell the 421 as there are no dealers close. Decisions decisoons!

Back