Help sizing work boots? Danner FlashPoint II to be exact.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Howdy all hope this is the right section for this question.

Ive landed myself a full time job on a local logging crew. Ive grown up most of my life wearing hunting boots that were mostly made up of Goretex with small amounts of leather. Long story short, break in was quick and easy but so far they just havent held up. Im mostly choking logs for the skidder and dozer for now, but apparently hunting boots dont hold up too constant abrasions and bumps with logs and branches.
A few months ago I picked up a pair of Danner FlashPoint II's at an awesome price. I usually wear a 10-10/1/2 in boots but I had to jump up too an 11EE with the Danners because they felt too small in my normal size. So far they have been nothing but a Pain to break in, I havent been able to wear them as much as i would like but they are feeling a bit big. Standing the end of my longest toe sits about even with the last eyelet. With the boots unlaced I can slide my foot forward about 1/2" comfortably, 3/4" cramps my toes in the end of the boot, and 1" my longest toe is touching the end of the boot. They feel comfortable but when Im walking my dad keeps mentioning the boots look big, and for some reason they bend and flex up a bit higher than where my toes bend. Hopefully this makes sense its just the way they bend makes them look big.

Anyone have experience with these boots? Is this normal for full leather boots? I think it might be the combination of thick leather and rubber toe/heel section, but my dad keeps insisting that they are too big and that I need to get a pair that fits before I hurt myself.

Also quick off topic question, the false tounge on the one boot likes to slip downwards and go out towards the toe of the boot. Nothing bad but its annoying and looks real Goofy. Years ago I saw a guy in a boot shop do something with the laces by wrapping them around the false tounge or something, I dont fully remember but does anyone have a remedy to stop it from slipping down that extra 3/4"? (Yes I have run the laces through the two holes in the tounge.

Sounds like you did get boots that are too long to me. No two feet are the same, not even your own... so you've got to shape your boots a little (or a lot!). Guys have all kinds of tricks for it like warming/wetting the boots or whatever. Easiest one is to just go into a good bootmaker. They've got special tools to stretch your boots in whichever area they need it. They don't charge a whole lot for the service, and the money is well spent. It's a relationship you'll want to keep for the future.

Shaun

How much strech do you think the lowers of the boots have? Since they have rubber stiched over the heel/toe/side leather I would think that you wouldnt have a whole lot strech. The boots are still new enough that I MIGHT be able to get them to replace them.
Just dont want to replace them if I wont be able to get them to fit me.

I'm not familar with your boots, you'd have to take them down to a bootmaker for a qualified opinion. I have pretty standard feet so I've had mostly good luck with boots, but I've had a few friends who needed to get their boots reshaped and they all had good success with it. Leather can be shaped quite a lot with the right tools and enough time. Rubber coating changes things though.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back