help this lady's cat!! Pa, area code #717 pa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
closed

I saw your email on the site called catinatreerescue.com and I'm hoping you can help me, but I think you may be too far away...

I'm asking for suggestions,ideas & help on how to get a stray kitty out of a tree behind our house. We're worried sick about this cat, my husband noticed it after work yesterday and called me at work to tell me there's a cat about 60ft, up our tree crying and won't come down. When I got home it wasn't crying and we didn't see it so we assumed it got down. But later on we heard it crying up in the tree. It's getting cold at night and calling for ugly weather so we're getting more & mored worried for the cat's welfare. Our 30ft ladder isn't even getting close to it. We did put a can of tuna on the highest branch we could reach hoping it'll come down for that. But as time goes on we're having our doubts. I called the animal emergency clinic and they said to call the police or fire company, I did and they said they can't help and recommended shooting it. I'm open to suggestions here, anything..... I read on the internet to call tree trimmers or logging outfits? I'm truly at a lost, so if anyone has an idea on how to hpraying when I get home from work it'll be down and safe.

Last edited:
the cat is still in the tree. please dont call her if you cant get the cat down. i told her to call a local tree service and ask for help. its like 1-1/2 hour drive fer me so i wont be going.

Never seen a skeleton of a cat in a tree yet. The cat will eventually come down. May use one or more of it's lives in the process though.

I hope she gets her cat down.

I got a call about a cat in a tree once. Was a friend of a friend type of deal. She lived about 45 minutes from me. I kind of told her I didn't have time to mess with it, and I was sure it would come down on it's own sooner or later.

This was in the middle of winter. A couple of days later the friend calls back and say's her friends cat is still up there. She has called the city and fire department with no luck. She is desperate at this point, and offering to pay me well.

I finally concede and drive to the lady's house. The cat is about 30 feet up in a mature silver maple probably 75 feet tall. I begin climbing up after the cat. As soon as I start to get within 15 feet of it, it starts to climb higher. This cycle continues until the cat and I are both about 65 feet up a 75 foot tree. I finally get within arms reach of it and get it in a small pet carrier, and lower it down.

The lady was overjoyed and paid me for coming out. I never thought a cat would actually die in a tree before coming down. This one was close though. The ground under the tree was littered with tuna and cat food cans. The stupid cat spent over a week up there. The friend told me later that one of the cats ears and the end of it's tail fell off later from frostbite. Stupid cat.

This cycle continues until the cat and I are both about 65 feet up a 75 foot tree. I finally get within arms reach of it and get it in a small pet carrier, and lower it down.

One trick is to climb above the cat, then descend down to it. Though they may run the other direction :laugh:

Bring gloves and a rope bag.

120/hr, portal to portal, including time to wash the poop out of the rope bag, and antibiotics if you need treatment for puncture wounds. Discounts available if you get in the paper or on TV :laugh:

Last edited:
cat is saved

the cat is safely down:clap: :clap:

Sooooo... how did it get down??? Ran scared when the bullets started wizzing by?

lol thats how we used to catch squirrels as a kid. hit the bark about an inch from its head and the concussion knocks them out, of conciousness and the tree lol.

I saw your email on the site called catinatreerescue.com and I'm hoping you can help me, but I think you may be too far away...

I'm asking for suggestions,ideas & help on how to get a stray kitty out of a tree behind our house. We're worried sick about this cat, my husband noticed it after work yesterday and called me at work to tell me there's a cat about 60ft, up our tree crying and won't come down. When I got home it wasn't crying and we didn't see it so we assumed it got down. But later on we heard it crying up in the tree. It's getting cold at night and calling for ugly weather so we're getting more & mored worried for the cat's welfare. Our 30ft ladder isn't even getting close to it. We did put a can of tuna on the highest branch we could reach hoping it'll come down for that. But as time goes on we're having our doubts. I called the animal emergency clinic and they said to call the police or fire company, I did and they said they can't help and recommended shooting it. I'm open to suggestions here, anything..... I read on the internet to call tree trimmers or logging outfits? I'm truly at a lost, so if anyone has an idea on how to hpraying when I get home from work it'll be down and safe.[/QU

I once attempted rescue of a cat in Gatlinburg,Tn. that had been in a tulip poplar near primarys for a week. Spent several hours 60ft up with a noose trying to catch him. He was tired and weak, and dehydrated! My last attempt after a few hrs in the tree, i got the noose on him. Man, he went off and started runnin around and goin nuts! He pissed all over me man! I led him down the tree. As soon as he hit the ground, with the lady hysterical and balling still, boom, he shot up another tree! The husband said you got to get him and i said it'll be dark in an hr! The husband says well, lets cut the tree down while he's in it, so i shot a line in the top and lowered that tree through the top crotch in another. Cat hit the ground runnin, never to be seen again!!! I almost got fried by a f&%$#@!! branch next to a primary!!!! Never again!!!1 The people acted pissed at me for him runnin off. I looked at them and said," well, i guess you know now that a cat is very high mtnc"! Never Again Guys, Never Again

Years ago when I first started with the Fire Dept. We were working a 24 and this lady comes in around lunch time telling us that her cat had been up in her backyard tree for three days and was wondering if we could get the cat out. My Captain must have been in a soft mood and said that if it was still up there after dinner then we would come over. Sure enough were on our way to get this cat. We get to the back yard, extend a ladder up (about 30') and the Capt. says "Hey probie (me) get up there and get that cat"! So up I go and of course the stupid cat keeps moving further out until it can't go any further. Just as I'm about to grab this hissing fur-ball, the bugger jumps, hits the ground, all four legs out (like a cartoon) and then takes off. The Captain says to the owner, Well your cats out, then turns to me and says, "If we ever have a jumper, remind me not to send you".:dizzy:

i have done 7 cat rescue's and not one jumper, i hope to do many more as its very easy and mo$t rewarding. this cat was just too far away.

i have done 7 cat rescue's and not one jumper, i hope to do many more as its very easy and mo$t rewarding. this cat was just too far away.

Good Job.

I personally love cats. Just watching them is a pleasure they are the closest thing there is to being a perfect hunter. We actully have 3 shed cats that keep the shed and surrounding area free of mice and rats and whatever else they find. They don`t ask much in return other than water and some cat food and a occasional scratch

Good Job.

I personally love cats. Just watching them is a pleasure they are the closest thing there is to being a perfect hunter. We actully have 3 shed cats that keep the shed and surrounding area free of mice and rats and whatever else they find. They don`t ask much in return other than water and some cat food and a occasional scratch

I don't care for the dern things they only come when they want to!
I would not waste my breath to save kitty in a tree on my property.
Little old lady, yeah, been there done that and once was a jumper
once was a scratcher; let me tell ya it is hard when your getting
scratched to not just throw the confounded kitty but little old lady
would never understand.

Years ago when I first started with the Fire Dept. We were working a 24 and this lady comes in around lunch time telling us that her cat had been up in her backyard tree for three days and was wondering if we could get the cat out. My Captain must have been in a soft mood and said that if it was still up there after dinner then we would come over. Sure enough were on our way to get this cat. We get to the back yard, extend a ladder up (about 30') and the Capt. says "Hey probie (me) get up there and get that cat"! So up I go and of course the stupid cat keeps moving further out until it can't go any further. Just as I'm about to grab this hissing fur-ball, the bugger jumps, hits the ground, all four legs out (like a cartoon) and then takes off. The Captain says to the owner, Well your cats out, then turns to me and says, "If we ever have a jumper, remind me not to send you".:dizzy:

ROTFLMAO! Good post!

......... I called the animal emergency clinic and they said to call the police or fire company, I did and they said they can't help and recommended shooting it. I'm open to suggestions here, anything........

Well I think that was a damn fine suggestion,lol, here kitty kitty,heeere kitty kitty.......here.......oh f:censored: k it BLAM!!! problem solved :clap:

sorry,lmao:monkey:

I assume most of you have seen the Allmark Tree video entitled "cat rescue" (I think thats it) but if you have not check it out, its awesome. I saved a cat once, its a good feeling.

Back