Hey Sawtroll.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say it takes more than a handpiece to be a porter. I have seen the same thing over and over with v8 cylinder heads. Takes more than hogging out material to make 'em run.

Both saws were noticibly stronger, motor wise. One more so than the other. U just about couldn't bog the one down pushing on it. My 346 was pretty fat fuel wise, and didn't have the torque theirs had, just that 3/8 chain is the BOMB!!!!

Both saws were noticibly stronger, motor wise. One more so than the other. U just about couldn't bog the one down pushing on it. My 346 was pretty fat fuel wise, and didn't have the torque theirs had, just that 3/8 chain is the BOMB!!!!

Well, I'd say who sharpened the chains. You can make a ported saw slow and a stock saw fast with a chain.

Yup,

treeslinger had "the best mod is a sharp chain" in his sig line.

Wigg's,

I agree with the 3/8" vs .325 deal. IF, IF it is slower it isn't by much, plus you get a better chain life out of it, and it is more standard to most people's other larger saws which will also likely use 3/8". I don't see the point in .325 for saws like the 260/261/346 on up in power.

My opinion,

Sam

What ifni told u that a bone stock, muffler modded 346xp NE wearing an 18" 3/8 RSC outran two ported 346xp NE's wearing 16" full chisel .325 chains......In front of 30 or so folks :)

Your story has a big hole in it;) It wasn't even close after mine was retuned. We really do need to swap the B&Cs on those saws. Andre and I did the same testing, only we actually swapped the B&Cs on the same saw. The .325 was definately faster on a NE 346XP. On a 5100, the 3/8 was faster.

Last edited:
It wasn't even close after mine was retuned. Your story has a big hole in it;) We really do need to swap the B&Cs on those saws. Andre and I did the same testing, only we swapped the B&Cs on the saw. The .325 was definately faster on a NE 346XP. On a 5100, the 3/8 was faster.

Admit it.....they were closer than they should be :)

HOORAY 3/8!!! :clap: :clap:

You fella's do realise that the boys that run in the post rip races here use .325 on 18-20" bars here with 088/880 and 3120 powerheads ? :laugh:

and yes, it's square filed ;)

I'm also starting to get the impression that some modders feel the need to run their saws lean in order to get ahead.:biggrin:

Also, I was only running a 7-pin rim, since I'm running a 20" B&C. You have to run an 8-pin in .325 for the same diameter of the 3/8 7-pin.

So 8-pin & .325 would be even faster. Same diameter, therefore same gearing, and less drag through the wood. no?

Latest posts

Back